Not sure what I saw

69396cst

Yesterday while driving home on a busy tollroad I saw a Chevy car that a pick up back on it that had what looked like a stepside kinda of like the Ford Ranger Edge where it is not truely a stepside but kinda looks like one. This was very new car. It did not look full size. It looked like the size of a Cobalt. My friend ( who is not that into cars ) said "is that the new El Camino you told me about" I said no, it cant be. They dont even make them yet. I thought it could be a car from Mexico as I live in Texas and we see strange vehicles from all makes with Mexican license plates on them but this had what I thought was Texas plates. I couldnt get up close enough to see or even to see a name badge on it anywhere. Alls we could see is a new chevy truck size bowtieon the tailgate. Anyone know what this was?

Yesterday while driving home on a busy tollroad I saw a Chevy car that a pick up back on it that had what looked like a stepside kinda of like the Ford Ranger Edge where it is not truely a stepside but kinda looks like one. This was very new car. It did not look full size. It looked like the size of a Cobalt. My friend ( who is not that into cars ) said "is that the new El Camino you told me about" I said no, it cant be. They dont even make them yet. I thought it could be a car from Mexico as I live in Texas and we see strange vehicles from all makes with Mexican license plates on them but this had what I thought was Texas plates. I couldnt get up close enough to see or even to see a name badge on it anywhere. Alls we could see is a new chevy truck size bowtieon the tailgate. Anyone know what this was?

Possibly a ME market Chevy Ute, there are several in the US right now. The step-side thing doesn't fit with that though, so I am curious as well.

Its honestly a shame this car isn't sold here. Imagine how much of the low-budget/urban/tuner/small contractor pickup market Chevy would dominate with a Tornado.

$9,995 gets you the truck. Cranks, manual locks, 5-speed stick, vinyl seats and flooring, AM/FM/CD, and A/C.

$10,495 gets you a 4-speed automatic.

$13,995 gets you power windows, locks, and mirrors, carpeting, auto headlamps, etc.

$16,995 adds more engine power, leatherette seating, alloys, and a bed cover.

$19,995 gets you a Tornado SS - which sound freakin' sweet - with the 2.0l T/C Ecotec mated to a 5/6-speed auto or 6-speed stick. Lowered ride height, blacked-out trim, dual exhaust, foglamps, 18" aluminum wheels.

With its light weight, it would make a MINI its bitch and still haul. It would be the fasted run to Home Depot you'd ever make.

You know, I think Mr. Fly has a point, and so does Oldsmoboi. With the current Chevy front end and non-GMT800 taillights, this thing could do well here... NEVER as a replacement for a true El Camino, but as a small runabout pickup, especially if it has AWD.

I used to see a grayish-green Rabbit pickup down in MD, a diesel with exhaust stacks (ha), and up here I occasionally see a very clean Rabbit pickup with rims, exhaust and a non-factory (but sensible, not wild) paint color. There is also a raggedy-looking Rampage, gold and brown two-tone, running around town.

The time could be ripe for a return of a few tiny pickup trucks, especially with "compact" trucks growing ever bigger.

You know, I think Mr. Fly has a point, and so does Oldsmoboi. With the current Chevy front end and non-GMT800 taillights, this thing could do well here... NEVER as a replacement for a true El Camino, but as a small runabout pickup, especially if it has AWD.

I used to see a grayish-green Rabbit pickup down in MD, a diesel with exhaust stacks (ha), and up here I occasionally see a very clean Rabbit pickup with rims, exhaust and a non-factory (but sensible, not wild) paint color. There is also a raggedy-looking Rampage, gold and brown two-tone, running around town.

The time could be ripe for a return of a few tiny pickup trucks, especially with "compact" trucks growing ever bigger.

No.

Please.

They'd just use it as an excuse not to bring the real thing to market.

Its honestly a shame this car isn't sold here. Imagine how much of the low-budget/urban/tuner/small contractor pickup market Chevy would dominate with a Tornado.

$9,995 gets you the truck. Cranks, manual locks, 5-speed stick, vinyl seats and flooring, AM/FM/CD, and A/C.

$10,495 gets you a 4-speed automatic.

$13,995 gets you power windows, locks, and mirrors, carpeting, auto headlamps, etc.

$16,995 adds more engine power, leatherette seating, alloys, and a bed cover.

$19,995 gets you a Tornado SS - which sound freakin' sweet - with the 2.0l T/C Ecotec mated to a 5/6-speed auto or 6-speed stick. Lowered ride height, blacked-out trim, dual exhaust, foglamps, 18" aluminum wheels.

With its light weight, it would make a MINI its bitch and still haul. It would be the fasted run to Home Depot you'd ever make.

Hmmmmm, be careful what you wish for. :smilewide:

Finally! An answer to the WHAT THE F^&(! is that question I have been asking since I have spotted this truck in Cedar Rapids at least three times and have been unable to 'badge it'! Wow! I bet that thing would sell thy the ton...if there are that many idiots buying the Tundra every month - how many would buy a cheap little trucklet that gets good mileage and has utility??? Not the prettiest belle of the ball, but still a neat little alternative to a Japanese product!

The era of big trucks as suburban vehicles is waning, and it's perfect timing for cheap trucklets to come back in a market niche below the recent Subaru Baja and Honda Ridgeline, which were too expensive and poorly styled. I would get a Tornado/Montana.

The era of big trucks as suburban vehicles is waning, and it's perfect timing for cheap trucklets to come back in a market niche below the recent Subaru Baja and Honda Ridgeline, which were too expensive and poorly styled. I would get a Tornado/Montana.

I will buy one too, if/when it comes to the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Montana

you're really starting to turn into a "can't do" old crank ya know... :P

:lol: Sorry about that - I just hate this thing.

OK, here goes.

It needs:

- lower ride height

- to be wider

- to be based on Alpha

- have awd optional

- an entirely different style

Then you might have something. :AH-HA_wink: