NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Pontiac to get G8 rwd family

82 posts in this topic

Pontiac to get G8 rwd family

Sedan will be followed by wagon, sport truck

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

November 19, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — General Motors plans a new family of rear-wheel-drive vehicles for Pontiac. The G8 line will include a sedan followed by a wagon and sport truck.

All will be modeled after products sold by GM's Australian subsidiary, Holden, according to three sources familiar with the project. The vehicles will be assembled in Australia.

There was debate within GM about whether to give the sport truck to GMC. GMC won't get it.

Instead, GM's marketers wanted — and will get — a Pontiac sport truck so GM can market the three rwd vehicles as a high-performance family.

The sport truck will have the same drivetrain as the Chevrolet Camaro, and it will use a modified sedan architecture.

There is one caveat: Sources say the wagon and sport truck may be repriced or canceled if the U.S. dollar continues to drop. The Australian dollar is currently worth 90 cents in U.S. currency, up from 79 cents in August.

source:

Automotive News

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Sad for Dodge, great for GM.

Competition is better for everyone, especially teh customer. Anyway It's good to see them coming, I'm sure Camino will be thrilled. I think I'd want the wagon.

There is one caveat: Sources say the wagon and sport truck may be repriced or canceled if the U.S. dollar continues to drop.

With the way things have been going for the $ lately, that's a HUGE caveat!

Crap!

I was hoping that caveat wouldn't be there.

I'm still on the edge here.

If all goes well, I have another problem - I'm going to want both of them!

I'm not a huge fan of this idea. I think they'll sell well initially and then fade fast. But I guess this is some of the beauty of GM's ability to leverage their global presence and bring vehicles that don't need to be huge hits.

I'm not a huge fan of this idea. I think they'll sell well initially and then fade fast. But I guess this is some of the beauty of GM's ability to leverage their global presence and bring vehicles that don't need to be huge hits.

That's the beauty of the plan, especially for Pontiac.

Volume not required.

Good news. I just hope the U.S. dollar doesn't continue its sinking ship impression and the Ute and Wagon come over. The wagon would be a great car for carrying the pups to and from water tests competitions.

Wow, this is great news! I haven't seen any info to confirm this, but I also haven't gotten any new info on the Holden plans for at least a month and a half, so I think it's quite possible it did happen.

The VE sportwagon doesn't start production until late Feb 2008, so that's the earliest that the Pontiac version would start. Personally, I would expect that they will want to get the Holden version off to a strong start before launching the Pontiac, so probably early 2009 or late 2008 would be my guess for SOP.

One thing to note is that the HFV6 production is increasing until 2010MY, so I would expect that they are here by that time.

I expect we will learn more at NAIAS.

EDIT: Whoops I put the wrong SOP date.

That's interesting Northie, because I'm wondering about the timing on the Ute - which is already in production, right?

The "Camaro drivetrain" bit has me wondering. :scratchchin:

Well, I would expect the base model to have the HFV6, same as the Camaro. Perhaps it will get the LS3, there is a G8 GXP coming and while I don't know what engine it is getting, that seems like the natural choice.

oh i thought it was trickle down to lower models... sureley the zeta platform must get something more then the ls3 though... with the new SRT8's supposed to make more power and the GT500 making what it does, a limited run hi po 500hp motor has to be available

If all of this happens, it will be like the Chevelle Project come to life - just at Pontiac rather than Chevy. 8)

Why can't it be imported for now then switch production to Oshwa once Zeta production comes online there?

That could happen depending on product mix. Oshawa can only build so many variants since it will be getting the volume product for zeta. These cars will all be low-production as long as they are built in Oz. Also, the GMNA zeta is slightly different than the VE until the first refresh.

oh i thought it was trickle down to lower models... sureley the zeta platform must get something more then the ls3 though... with the new SRT8's supposed to make more power and the GT500 making what it does, a limited run hi po 500hp motor has to be available

The LS7 is too expensive to go in anything besides a Cadillac or Z06. The Camaro will be getting a supercharged 6.2L as it's top engine. It's quite possible that engine could go into the GXP line too, but I would expect the LS3, personally. 430HP is plenty of power, and it would be cheaper by far, I would think.

Why can't it be imported for now then switch production to Oshwa once Zeta production comes online there?

Eventually we will see the Pontiacs produced at Oshawa. If I remember correctly, originally the plan was to have the G8 be a stopgap and then build a NA-designed one a couple years later. Perhaps that will still happen, though I see the G8 having a longer run than originally planned now. The UTE and wagon won't sell in enough volume to merit the tooling to be moved to Oshawa, but perhaps the sedan could. The main problem I see is that VE and Zeta have some differences, though minor, which could cause some problems if they want to run them all down the same line.

If all of this happens, it will be like the Chevelle Project come to life - just at Pontiac rather than Chevy. 8)

Now you know why I was ticked off some last night and then why I decided to post pics of the Sportwagon after all was said and done. I was informed on Friday and had been stewing all weekend about it. I got better about it after I read that the OPEC countries will start buying other currency and unloading US dollars.

Now you know why I was ticked off some last night and then why I decided to post pics of the Sportwagon after all was said and done. I was informed on Friday and had been stewing all weekend about it. I got better about it after I read that the OPEC countries will start buying other currency and unloading US dollars.

C'mon PCS, let us have a few years of fun while the oil is still flowing. :AH-HA_wink:

The LS7 is too expensive to go in anything besides a Cadillac or Z06. The Camaro will be getting a supercharged 6.2L as it's top engine. It's quite possible that engine could go into the GXP line too, but I would expect the LS3, personally. 430HP is plenty of power, and it would be cheaper by far, I would think.

Eventually we will see the Pontiacs produced at Oshawa. If I remember correctly, originally the plan was to have the G8 be a stopgap and then build a NA-designed one a couple years later. Perhaps that will still happen, though I see the G8 having a longer run than originally planned now. The UTE and wagon won't sell in enough volume to merit the tooling to be moved to Oshawa, but perhaps the sedan could. The main problem I see is that VE and Zeta have some differences, though minor, which could cause some problems if they want to run them all down the same line.

They apparently want to run Zeta down the Sigma line... so it can't be *that* big of an incompatibility.

And who said anything about moving tooling. Let Oz and China supply Asia, Pacific, Middle East and England. <RHD mostly>

Let Oshwa supply North and South America and the rest of Europe.

They apparently want to run Zeta down the Sigma line... so it can't be *that* big of an incompatibility.

And who said anything about moving tooling. Let Oz and China supply Asia, Pacific, Middle East and England. <RHD mostly>

Let Oshwa supply North and South America and the rest of Europe.

I think you'll see the model split based on volume rather than geography, with the niche models coming from Holden and the volume from GMNA. Which is fine since they could be shifted with demand once the first refresh of VE happens.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0