CA outlaws screeching tires

balthazar

The CA Assembly voted 74-0 to revive the state's so-called 'sideshow car seizure ordinance' that had lapsed in January. The law authorizes a police officer to seize any vehicle he wishes by asserting that it was involved in "reckless driving" on a street or in a parking lot. That State will keep the vehicle for not more than 30 days, naturally accumulating all sorts of towing, impoundment, storage & admin fees in addition to fines up to $1000. Arrest, likewise, is allowable. Punishment of siezure is imposed withOUT any finding of guilt by jury or judge.

In addition, Oakland, who lax record keeping of the result of this initial law led to it's discontinuance, has reportedly siezed 25 cars since 2002, but since has further enacted an ordinace that merely watching a 'sideshow crime' is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine, with other CA cities expected to follow suit.

This is amended law Section # 23109.2 of the Vehicle Code, which covers offenses including:

> a motor vehicle speed contest (racing)

> reckless driving on a highway

> reckless driving in an off-street parking facility

> exhibition of speed on a highway

The contention for opposers is that even screeching tires can be considered 'reckless driving', and this would be punishable to the same degree of penalty that highway racing is. Thing is, the bill is expected to pass the Assembly, and if approved by Schwarzenegger, would immediately become law under "emergency" legislative procedures.

As if mudslides and earthquakes weren't enough to worry about.

Edited by balthazar

The CA Assembly voted 74-0 to revive the state's so-called 'sideshow car seizure ordinance' that had lapsed in January. The law authorizes a police officer to seize any vehicle he wishes by asserting that it was involved in "reckless driving" on a street or in a parking lot. That State will keep the vehicle for not more than 30 days, naturally accumulating all sorts of towing, impoundment, storage & admin fees in addition to fines up to $1000. Arrest, likewise, is allowable. Punishment of siezure is imposed withOUT any finding of guilt by jury or judge.

In addition, Oakland, who lax record keeping of the result of this initial law led to it's discontinuance, has reportedly siezed 25 cars since 2002, but since has further enacted an ordinace that merely watching a 'sideshow crime' is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine, with other CA cities expected to follow suit.

This is amended law Section # 23109.2 of the Vehicle Code, which covers offenses including:

The contention for opposers is that even screeching tires can be considered 'reckless driving', and this would be punishable to the same degree of penalty that highway racing is. Thing is, the bill is expected to pass the Assembly, and if approved by Schwarzenegger, would immediately become law under "emergency" legislative procedures.

:nono:

My plan: "procure" (by any means necessary) a fleet of Priuses. Pack them full of explosive material. Park them along the California state line, from the north to the south. Detonate them in unison... and watch California set sail into the Pacific. Who's in? :AH-HA_wink:

My plan: "procure" (by any means necessary) a fleet of Priuses. Pack them full of explosive material. Park them along the California state line, from the north to the south. Detonate them in unison... and watch California set sail into the Pacific. Who's in? :AH-HA_wink:

My plan consists of wiping California off the face of the planet...

Getting progressively more disturbing... Maybe you guys can work on wiping certain California lawmakers off the face of the planet, and leave use car guys alone!

:nono:

Yeah, but we're also the #1 market for Corvettes, M5s, and GTOs...

Yes, and So Cal is and has been for decades THE car culture capital of the US..

I don't see this being a big deal, it's kind of a public nuisance law, like fining morons that blast their lame rap music too loudly out of their cars. Squeeling the tires, doing burnouts, etc on public streets is immature and unprofessional, after all..

Edited by moltar

LOL...

All those liberals out there in California preaching that "Live free, but only by our means." brand of independence again...

So, theoretically, I could be driving down the road and slam on the breaks to avoid a car stopped in front of me. Then one of those asshole LAPD folks could pull me over and charge me with this meaningless, stupid law. Then on the way back, just for $h!s and giggles, he can stop at the seven11 and pick up the 16 year old that 'deliberately turned his head to watch' me avoid the car when he heard the incident occur.

I know this is outlandish, but seriously, it's NOT FAR OFF now.

Stuff like this makes me want to be like Kurt Russell in Tarantino's Grind House flick "Deathproff" Just get an old car, paint 'er up all intimidating and run the F*CK into people whilst hoping for the best.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm surprised the Terminator let things get out of hand.

Un-effin beleivable.

I like it.

Luckilly for me, I couldn't screech the tires in the Cutlass no matter how hard I tried. :P

I've gotten much bigger cars to oversteer & burnout.

Just go to an empty parking lot & at 30mph cut the wheel at WOT....

I've gotten much bigger cars to oversteer & burnout.

Just go to an empty parking lot & at 30mph cut the wheel at WOT....

I don't think size is the problem... I've had much fun in my Millenia, which is nearly identical in size. The difference: It actually has power, even with a f@#ked up distributor. The Beast is gutless. :P

The only time I can get the tires to screech is going around a turn. That spare tire screams like no other... I barely have to turn the wheel.

The rear tires during sudden acceleration, however? If tires screeched in the rain, I could. Otherwise, it doesn't pump out enough power to do anything on dry pavement. Not even by building up torque with the brakes. It's really quite pathetic. The Beast is more gutless than my old Grand Am. I need a clutch... Those work well for the task at hand. :P

You try spinning or screeching the tires in a RWD, 3500+ lb, 140hp (probably more like 120 after 23 years) car. It's not that easy without a slippery surface.

Edited by blackviper8891