Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

A name for the G8 Ute?

Thanks for posting, 94commo...dore. That cute little '62 shows they used the short sedan doors then, as with the brand new Ute. No long doors, as in the El Camino. Did the last-gen Ute have Monaro doors, or short, sedan doors?

No - The last gen Utes didn't get the Monaro Doors. The holden Utes have always shared the doors with the sedans (going back to 1949) although on some models there is a slight difference with the glass. The first Holden Coupe was the 1968 HK GTS Monaro powered by a 307 or 327 Chev. These longer Coupe doors weren't used on the 1968 Ute. The Pic I've posted shows on the far right a 1968 HK Monaro GTS 307, standard holden sedans from the Fifties & Sixties and the 1962 EH Ute on the far Left.

post-7159-1195765031_thumb.jpg

Edited by 94commo

From the Dec 2007 issue of Motor Trend:

WHY "UTE"?

IT'S ACTUALLY a contraction of "coupe utility," which is the term given the first car-based pickup when it was designed back in 1933.

The ute is an Australian invention, the brainchild of Ford designer Lew Brandt, who created the vehicle after Ford management received a letter from a farmer's wife: "Can you build me a vehicle that we can go to church in on Sunday without getting wet and my husband can use to take the pigs to the market on Monday?"

At the time, farmers relied on open-top "buckboards" as their all-purpose runabouts. Bandt's combination of a closed-cabin car front end and tray rear end gave the farmer's wife the comfort she wanted without losing the practicality her husband needed.

The first ute went into production in Australia in 1934.

I love the Pontiac TailG8 idea! :)

My suggestions:

Pontiac Caballus (Latin for Horse)

Ponitac Equus (also Latin for Horse)

Pontiac Hauler

Pontiac Blitz (German for Lightning, as in Ford :P )

Pontiac Kargo

Pontiac Torreon (as in Mexico)

It's not a term based from or used in this country- so why would a people not exposed to something thusly be 'low-IQ idiots' for... not being exposed to it ???

Do you know my real name & how to pronounce it?

Watch Cops tonight and tell me that the general public as a whole is not getting any sharper.

They can play video games and name the people in Star Trek but many can not name their own Congress Rep they did not vote for. I find it sad.

In marketing you need to keep it clever and simple to reach all the masses.

In other words if you have to explain it because many in this country have little clue about what is going on here let alone overseas you should not use the term.

As for the larger the crowd lower the IQ coment it was a qote from David Lee Roth about the fans at Van Halen concerts. I find it fits many in society well today.

Edited by hyperv6

Oh, I forgot about that Hyundai...

Please reference your Australian Slang dictionary, or Google it. I think with all unusual colors Holden offers for this car, the Pontiac Poof is the perfect choice for a name. :AH-HA_wink:

Googled :AH-HA_wink:

That very bright green is quite poof, IMO

Edited by ZL-1

Thanks for the lineup photo, 94commo. Looking at the '68 Monaro, something else hit me... the tiny wheelwells also afflict the last-gen (so far) Monaro we got up here as a GTO! Interesting parallel, imo.

The GTS is my friends car. It looks a bit weird because he's running oversized tyres so that the crusing speed is improved as compensation for the gearing of the 2 speed tranny.

How about G8 ST? :smilewide:

Can't use that as Pontiac is already going to use it. :AH-HA_wink:

Word is guys that it is going to be the G8 ST

Here is what was Autoblog.com

Mike Levine over at Pickuptruck.com has managed to scoop a tasty nugget of info about the Pontiac-branded ute that will soon be for sale in the U.S. The Aussie-import based on the same platform as the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan will be called the G8 ST, as in "Sport Truck".

That pang of disappointment you feel is the missed opportunity of paying homage to GM's most well known car-based pickups and their colorful names: the Chevy El Camino and GMC Caballero. Rather than dubbing Pontiac's ute the "Tamale" or "El Camino Redux", we get a measly little two-letter suffix. Sigh.

Also of note is that the pickup will only be available with a 6.0L V8 and is likely to start around $31,000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...