Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Chevrolet Malibu Careens Out of Gate

DETROIT — Backed by a hefty $300-million launch marketing campaign, the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu reportedly is quickly streaming out the doors of the dealerships nationwide that have been fortunate enough to get a few of the hot-selling models.

Evaluations of Malibu's initial sales performance necessarily are just anecdotal at this early point, because it has been officially available only for less than a month and is still just beginning to trickle into most showrooms. But GM spokesman John McDonald confirms that Malibu "has had very fast turn rates" that have been contributed to "by limited supply at the start of the system fill."

The nation's top seller of the old Malibu, Duane Paddock in Kenmore, New York, said that he had logged 11 sales in the first two weeks of the car's availability and that he had another eight orders waiting as of early this week. Chevrolet has reported record numbers of hits on its Web site because of curiosity about the Malibu, stoked in large part by two "takeovers" of online advertising that GM staged over the last month. Critical reception for the car has been overwhelmingly positive, which has encouraged car buyers to give Malibu a closer look.

To some extent, the limited availability — but big buzz — surrounding Malibu is strategic for the company, which has placed a huge bet that the sleek new sedan will finally comprise a significant GM competitor to the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. The two cars have dominated the huge compact-sedan market for several years.

Meantime, however, GM launched what has become an annual "Red Tag" incentive program to clear out 2007 models as it tries to extend U.S. sales gains to a fourth straight month. While GM in general has been reducing incentive levels over the last year, it has been running the Red Tag program annually since at least 2004. The company is using the program of incentives as high as $1,000 on 2007 models — available through January 2 — "to clear out some 2007 models and introduce some people to 2008 models," McDonald said.

What this means to you: If the Malibu has caught your eye during GM's marketing blitz for the car, you'd better get your order in soon if you want to be enjoying your new purchase in early '08. — Dale Buss, Correspondent

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123628

I went to my local dealer last night for their official unveiling of the car. They had 2 cars, a base LS and a LTZ and both are sold. The LS was bought by a women who went in for an Aveo but she won 10K on the ring in and win promotion so she upgraded to the Malibu. Dealer said he only expects to receive a couple more this year and won't have a big selection until the end of January. I was very impressed with the car. Even the base model looks really nice. Like my brother the import lover said if GM can't sell this car throw in the towel.

Sweet. Let's hope they can keep this up and continue to refine the product to maintain relevance. This could be the harbinger of salvation for GM... I feel it.

If GM can remove so many of the distractions which hamstring it, yes. And with 'bullseyes' such as Malibu displacing the misses, that will serve to propel GM forward. But what needs to be addressed is the internecine bickering in the middle of the ranks, hourly and salary. When they have both halves of the 'choir' singing harmoniously, then GM can make real strides. There is alot of 'turf' based BS which goes on, doesn't add any value to the process. Both entities really need to look inward and exorcise their 'demons'. I think that as some of the 'old guard' are put out to pasture, this will enhance the prospects for success.

Away from the philosophical side, as demonstrated with the '08 Malibu, if you construct something which has appeal, people will buy it. And as 'vonVeezelsnider' has stated, "I feel it"

Yes, but back when the 2004 Malibu was launched, the same happened. Some places started fleeting the new one.

Yes, but you're mistaking a car that's sold to fleet as a car that could not be sold in retail, implying excess capacity with low demand.

That scenario can exist, but it's not absolute. Fleet sales are still business. In general, Enterprise is a customer that can place an order like any other person or company. GM has a strong relationship in fleet sales and cannot/should not excessively restrict or eliminate fleet sales of every new product... especially a product under its volume brand. GM should moderate production of the new Malibu to meet demand while controlling the percentage available for fleet sales. If a new Malibu is available at Enterprise next week, there's no justification to believe GM is doing otherwise. We know production just began and hasn’t reached public demand... but it will soon enough.

I saw my first 08 Malibu on the road this week. I passed it on I80 going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. It was a black LT. So far, the two Malibus I have seen look gorgeous in person! It's understandable why people are finally interested in the Malibu.

I would bet alot of the cars that "careened out of the gate" are fleet sales. I still have yet to see ONE new Malibu on the road. Haven't seen a single Malibu yet...

:scratchchin:

As balthy said, your reasoning is ridiculous. Also, why would GM being hoarding them to fleets when the old Malibu is surviving for the sold purpose of fleet sales?

As balthy said, your reasoning is ridiculous.

Actually, he never used the word ridiculous.

He was wondering where I thought the fleet sales cars were (if they WERE fleet sales cars) when I had never seen one.

My reply to him is above.

Please read before you post!

:AH-HA_wink:

With a few thousand dealers to supply, it is taking some time to just get a few to each dealer so that they can show it! I doubt many (if any) have been fleeted yet, being as dealers everywhere are screaming for more for their lots.

There certainly has been a lot of interest in the Malibu, spurred largely (I suspect) the direct comparisons GM is making to the Camry and Accord in their ads. Kudos to the advertising gals/guys for getting this one right.

I've already had an Accord driver (he has owned 5 Hondas) drop by to see the Malibu (when we had 3) when his Accord was up the street being serviced by the dealer (6 years later - their brainwashing is exemplary!) Of course, now we don't have any Malibus and he is looking at a used BMW, which we have lots of.

With a few thousand dealers to supply, it is taking some time to just get a few to each dealer so that they can show it! I doubt many (if any) have been fleeted yet, being as dealers everywhere are screaming for more for their lots.

There certainly has been a lot of interest in the Malibu, spurred largely (I suspect) the direct comparisons GM is making to the Camry and Accord in their ads. Kudos to the advertising gals/guys for getting this one right.

I've already had an Accord driver (he has owned 5 Hondas) drop by to see the Malibu (when we had 3) when his Accord was up the street being serviced by the dealer (6 years later - their brainwashing is exemplary!) Of course, now we don't have any Malibus and he is looking at a used BMW, which we have lots of.

I thought your dealer closed and you weren't seeling new Chevy's anymore?

We're still getting lots of people wandering in here, looking for the new Malibu :smilewide:

Out of sheer loyalty to GM, I've even talked at length to a couple people about them....................

In my little town of 60,000 I have seen 3 already. Red Jewel LTZ V6 (everything), Black LT1 (moonroof and chrome wheels) and a Gold LT2 4cyl (everything)! There are sharp I followed the black one for 5 miles! I like them more and more each time I see one.

Edited by gm4life

I saw my first one the other day, a Jewel red 2LT. I saw it while passing by the local Dollar rent-a-car, which is beginning to look like a Chrysler-Dodge dealer's lot. (relax, the Malibu wasn't a rental...it had temp tags and a window sticker that said "Choose Civility in Howard County").

I haven't seen any on the road either, but the dealers around here are loaded with them. I would feel confident saying that there are probably close to a hundred 08s around here. But, as the article mentions, this is where the dealer who sold the most old Malibus is, Paddock. Maybe GM sends more over here because of that, but I wouldn't know. But I can say that around Buffalo, I more often see Chevrolet than anything else so I figure I'll be seeing plenty of 08s as they keep coming in.

Edited by gregduh

It's been ANOTHER week and I still haven't seen even ONE Malibu.

Maybe the "careening" is done in other places...?

Am I alone? Has anybody else not seen ONE yet?

:scratchchin:

I saw them at the New England International Auto Show and I have to say it's a sweet product. The upscale version with the glass sun roof and heated seats is *so* much of an improvement over the slab-sided prior generation it's a shame to even call it the same name.

GM is definitely on a roll and I'm hoping the giant has finally been awakened.

Today, I just saw my third Malibu, not counting the Malibu that was parked in front of the Chevy dealer 1/2 mile from the house about two weeks ago. So far I've seen 2 blues, a black and todays Malibu was gray.

I think some people haven't seen one because they're alone and crying for their foreign vehicle.

One new accord

no new malibus

I have now seen ONE new Accord and STILLLLL have not seen a single Malibu. I drive ALOT every day too.

Maybe we don't get the new Malibus as quickly as some other cities, but I can't believe I still haven't seen a single one.

GM sold what, 3000 of the new Malibu's in November? That's only 60 per state if you do a straight division by 50 or an alotment of less than two per dealership. Even if you assume certain states have received significantly more than others, I'd still guess no single state received more than a few hundred in the month of November. That could explain why some of you still haven't seen one on the road! :)

GM sold what, 3000 of the new Malibu's in November? That's only 60 per state if you do a straight division by 50 or an alotment of less than two per dealership. Even if you assume certain states have received significantly more than others, I'd still guess no single state received more than a few hundred in the month of November. That could explain why some of you still haven't seen one on the road! :)

I've seen quite a few (I'm cheating, they're sitting on our Chevy lot each day) and the huge surprise is the LS...The loaded LT's should look good, but the LS at 20,800 to 21,500 lightly optioned is the show stealer. It looks good and the response has been very positive. What's yet to be seen is the effect on Impala sales...but that's the only downside I see.

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen both a red one and white one on the road. And even in white the car looks quite classy and not at all boring.

White is one of my fav. colors for a car and also one of the hardest colors for a car to look good in.

Your right, I've seen the Malibu in white and I think it looks fabulous.

Chris

I've seen quite a few (I'm cheating, they're sitting on our Chevy lot each day) and the huge surprise is the LS...The loaded LT's should look good, but the LS at 20,800 to 21,500 lightly optioned is the show stealer. It looks good and the response has been very positive. What's yet to be seen is the effect on Impala sales...but that's the only downside I see.

....but I see a very real downside to Camry sales as a result of this thing. It really does deserve the positive press it is getting.

Chris

In the San Francisco Bay area I have not seen any BUs yet. On the other hand I have only seen 2 new Accords, a sedan which does not look that great in person and a coupe which has odd porportions in person. I have seen a Bu at a chevy dealership and it looked very striking in person. Still, it is front wheel drive and so it will get a pass from me and not be on shopping list.

Well, I still had seen ZERO Malibus driving as of this morning, so I went to the dealership.

I'm not sure this car is as tremendously styled as suggested...?

The basic body shape is nice IMO, but I'm not really in love with the front/grill treatment. The rear is often complained about, but I liked the rear styling better than the front end styling.

I find it odd I haven't seen one driving in traffic yet, maybe there are bigger markets hogging all the early sales or something?