New Chevrolet Malibu Careens Out of Gate

I haven't seen any on the roads here or in Charlotte. I went by the biggest Chevy dealer in Charlotte and they only had 4 on the lot.

I did see one in a driveway here (My home town) come to think of it.

I think the new 'Bu is a very striking design (Especially for it's class) It's actually one of the 2 or 3 midsize sedans I'd look at buying. It was gorgeous.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I still have yet to see a Malibu either in a dealership or on the streets...

Probably two Accord coupes and two sedans.

Another extremely rare car is the Altima coupe. Probably saw only my second ever on the road last night.

December 22 now....and STILL not a single one seen on the roads around SoCal......

.....which is really surprising me.....

Yeah... except for one that I saw around Simi Valley, I haven't seen any. The new CTS was sort of like this too, and now I'm seeing 3-6 a week. Hopefully the Malibu will be the same!

Same here....Accords EVERYWHERE....

Unfortunately I'm seeing more sedans then coupes.

Yeah... except for one that I saw around Simi Valley, I haven't seen any. The new CTS was sort of like this too, and now I'm seeing 3-6 a week. Hopefully the Malibu will be the same!

Unfortunately I'm seeing more sedans then coupes.

Yeah....I'm pleasantly surprised about the number of CTSs I'm seeing around here! Unfortunately, most of them have rental bar-codes in the windows <GROAN>.....but it's interesting that alot of the rental CTSs I'm seeing are DI-equipped models (easy to tell 'cause of the trunk-lid badge.)

Same here....Accords EVERYWHERE....

Accords aren't that common here yet either... I've seen one or two in Charlotte and that's it.

I've actually seen more CTS' on the road than either the Accord or 'Bu. (Probably close to 10 now)

Maybe it's just me... I've been pretty distracted as of late (With the horrible semester and all)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I don't think it's too mind-boggling that not many people have seen many new Malibus compared to the Accord considering that only 3k new Malibus were sold last month. Even if 1/6 of them went to any 1 particular state, that's only 500 Malibus in 1 state. Not that likely you're going to see one.

Yeah....I'm pleasantly surprised about the number of CTSs I'm seeing around here! Unfortunately, most of them have rental bar-codes in the windows <GROAN>.....but it's interesting that alot of the rental CTSs I'm seeing are DI-equipped models (easy to tell 'cause of the trunk-lid badge.)

Really? Most that I've seen have dealer plates. Maybe a couple that I've seen have been fleet, but I just haven't been paying attention.

Really? Most that I've seen have dealer plates. Maybe a couple that I've seen have been fleet, but I just haven't been paying attention.

Yup....alot of CTS with barcodes.

But that being the case, here in a part of the country where almost ANY new GM car has a barcode, it's so refreshing to come across Enclaves (and other Lambdas) and new CTSs with dealer plate frames....! Hopefully we'll see more retail Malibus as well as time goes by......

I saw five lined up on the front row of a Chevy dealer in Phoenix last week, but other than that, I have yet to see one on the road around Phoenix or Denver.

Malibu has never been huge out here in AZ... I think that could change over the next few years... we shall see! The Bu's here in Tucson have gone quite briskly from what I understand. There is still a wait!

I've still not seen one out & about, but today was driving one all around and certainly getting looks--my Fleetwood gets questions & comments at the gas pump, but this car even in white had people twisting their heads around. Fun feeling, especially considering the pricetag :AH-HA_wink:

Will certainly be seeing one a lot now too that, as of today, we're buying one to replace and downsize from the Suburban.

Should be fun, for the first time, to get a new car in that first few months of hotness...and be one of the few.

On another hand, as mentioned above, I don't think I've yet seen 1 new Accord here at home in Delaware yet, either...MANY up in the Philly suburbs I live in during school, in the past couple of months. Just not down here.

The antagonism, the multiple posts and the use of weak anecdotal evidence has all the markings of a troll. It's really quite irritating to read.

NO...it's just people's realistic view of the marketplaces they live in.

I also have yet to see a new Malibu on the road (even a rental.) That doesn't mean that I don't think the car isn't first-class (I happen to believe it IS) but for all of Mark LeNeve's diatribes that the new Malibu is already SO successful in CA.....I haven't seen a single one on the road.

I'm SURE there are tons of Malibus on the road in Southeastern Michigan......

This is all so silly and pointless: 7,000 units sold in December? That is, like, 140 per State if you average it out. What are the odds of seeing one? Oh, and did that 7,000 units include the Frozen Hinterland? In which case the odds are even less.

Give it another couple months. Let's see what the first quarter of '08's sales are for the Malibu, year over year.

NO...it's just people's realistic view of the marketplaces they live in.

I also have yet to see a new Malibu on the road (even a rental.) That doesn't mean that I don't think the car isn't first-class (I happen to believe it IS) but for all of Mark LeNeve's diatribes that the new Malibu is already SO successful in CA.....I haven't seen a single one on the road.

I'm SURE there are tons of Malibus on the road in Southeastern Michigan......

I've seen a few at car lots. I guess it'll just take time. Same with the new Chrysler minivans, I didn't see them for a month or so when they came out and now they are creeping into regular view slowly. I think some people figure they will just fill the freeways overnight..?

:AH-HA_wink:

This is all so silly and pointless: 7,000 units sold in December? That is, like, 140 per State if you average it out. What are the odds of seeing one? Oh, and did that 7,000 units include the Frozen Hinterland? In which case the odds are even less.

Give it another couple months. Let's see what the first quarter of '08's sales are for the Malibu, year over year.

Whats silly is spending Millions on TV etc saying " The car you can't ignore " IF you never see one it's easy to ignore. Chevy is so screwed up. Get a &#036;h&#33;load to the dealers then hit the airwaves with ad's

Totally disagree with you on that one. This is the first time in a LONG time I have agreed with GM's marketing people. We haven't been a GM dealer for 2 months and we are still getting people wandering in who ONLY want to see the new Malibu.

Lots of people take 6 months or more to decide what they want to drive. Building this kind of interest in a 'pedestrian' vehicle is unheard of for GM. Most consumers are not impulse buyers when it comes to big purchases. Yes, some people won't wait (or can't, if their lease is up or they just smashed up their vehicle), but a lot of others can.

Whats silly is spending Millions on TV etc saying " The car you can't ignore " IF you never see one it's easy to ignore. Chevy is so screwed up. Get a &#036;h&#33;load to the dealers then hit the airwaves with ad's

I'm just comparing GM to Honda.

As soon as the new Accord was announced, all of a sudden, I'm seeing them EVERYWHERE. Malibu? STILL not a one on the road as of 1-11-08. I travel all over L.A./O.C./San Diego for my job so it's not like I never get out....

It seems that when Honda is getting prepared to debut an important new mainstream model, they make sure that production is ramped up to speed and able to walk that fine line between high-demand and over-stocked.

If GM's excuse is....."there's only been XXX number per dealer/per state" then it's GM's fault for not ramping up properly.

Sorry to rant but I've dealt with this with just about EVERY single new important vehicle launch of the last 20 years. Anyone remember the G6/Oprah fiasco?

I'm just comparing GM to Honda.

As soon as the new Accord was announced, all of a sudden, I'm seeing them EVERYWHERE. Malibu? STILL not a one on the road as of 1-11-08. I travel all over L.A./O.C./San Diego for my job so it's not like I never get out....

It seems that when Honda is getting prepared to debut an important new mainstream model, they make sure that production is ramped up to speed and able to walk that fine line between high-demand and over-stocked.

If GM's excuse is....."there's only been XXX number per dealer/per state" then it's GM's fault for not ramping up properly.

Sorry to rant but I've dealt with this with just about EVERY single new important vehicle launch of the last 20 years. Anyone remember the G6/Oprah fiasco?

Agreed. They need to send Bu's to where they are imoprtant.

I see plently here in Michigan-but my friend in Indy can't find one he would want....

How come Cali-one of GM's most important markets-has so few?

Why is there so many given away here with the GM discount when they will pay full price in Cali?

Why?

Agreed. They need to send Bu's to where they are imoprtant.

I see plently here in Michigan-but my friend in Indy can't find one he would want....

How come Cali-one of GM's most important markets-has so few?

Why is there so many given away here with the GM discount when they will pay full price in Cali?

Why?

GM has typically shunned markets where they do poorly (CA) instead of realizing the huge perception gains that could be had by impacting such markets as the east and west coast.

So GM's thought process is.....why spend money in CA on Malibu and why load up dealer inventories with Malibus when they've never done well with mainstream models here. Instead, let's focus on established markets (MI, example.)

I happen to think that GM will never turn the corner until they start changing perceptions on the coasts and other import-dominated markets.

(Lambdas seem to be doing REAL good here.....and I'm beginning to see more and more CTSs.....?)

Well.... I finally saw one!!!!!!

It was a rental, black, "LT" on the rear I am pretty sure and it had two tailpipes. It looked pretty good from the side, I like the profile.. it's bigger than what I was expecting, all this talk of Toyota/Honda comparing and I thought it would be smaller. I'm glad it isn't!

I've seen 3 in person!

All were rentals. Pshhhhh. Either they are being bought retail, or GM lied about the whole fleet sales thing.

I saw 4 today on the road in my area. But Chevrolets are popular here along with Toyotas in my town. Someone at my kids highschool just got anew Malibu LT1 in Blue, my son says its a sweet car. *He got his good taste from me!*

Edited by gm4life

I've seen 3 in person!

All were rentals. Pshhhhh. Either they are being bought retail, or GM lied about the whole fleet sales thing.

After seeing 2 at shows and a few on a dealer lot, I saw one on the road for the first time tonight...a white rental, at the airport..

I've only seen 1 Malibu here in Los Angeles. It didn't have rental plates at least. The new CTS is fare more plentiful in my area which I find strange.

Similar around here...Cadillac seems to compete well against other premium brands here in the Denver metro, but for mass-market sedans, Accord and Camry dominate..

My local Chevy dealer had a "beautiful" blue 'BU in the parking lot on Monday. Yesterday it was white, with about 4" of snow on top. I'm sure it's been cleaned off by now, but it sure looked good when I drove by the other day. I couldn't see if there were any in the showroom, but I did see an Enclave parked alongside the Malibu. It's a Chevy/Buick dealer.

Similar around here...Cadillac seems to compete well against other premium brands here in the Denver metro, but for mass-market sedans, Accord and Camry dominate..

I just saw my first two the other day.....one was an LS rental.....and the other had dealer plate frames (a retail unit...!!!!) Nice to say that, in the parking lot (rental) and on the road (retail unit) both caught my eye quite nicely!