Autoweek loves the New G8

I just got the new Autoweek and they love Pontiac's new car. They have gone to say it is the best car Pontiac has ever offered.

They said it was a blast to drive and clearly the best sedan in it's class.

They said it was not a smooth at its limits where it got a little ragged compared to a A6, 5 Series or E class. But keep in mnd all were much more expensive cars and they did not fault the G8 for how it performed in it's price class. They also drove the V6 and liked it but could not push it with the PR guy with them. They did note it was slower and ws not available with the FE2 suspension as the GT was. They did ask if it might be offered and did note Pontiac listened. No word on a FE3 but I would expect it for the GXP.

They also noted the lack of manuel tranny and said it may not be available here? This I will wait on as it has canged often and could change again.

Well anyway add a GXP, Wagon and Truck to this line Pontiac will be much stronger and this VE chassie is only a first step to a newer Zeta [hopefully] later with a Alpha coming in soon after.

GM is on a roll, God it is good to see it!

After I got to spend some time around a G8 I get the feeling I will not be able to wait till I can dump my wifes Comp G GP after a test drive.

Good Job Bob and the GM staff!!!!

They said it was a blast to drive and clearly the best sedan in it's class.

They said it was not a smooth at its limits where it got a little ragged compared to a A6, 5 Series or E class.

oh here we go....

*arms photon torpedos*

Thanks for the report, it seems the G8/Commodore hasn't had a bad review yet.

Well, I still don't like it. The styling is not for me. I still think Grand Prix should return WITH this G8. I know I am the only one, unless they change the styling on this G8 drastically. I hate the styling, especially the horrendous interior. Yuk.

To each their own, though I find it very hard to see how you can think the interior is horrible, especially if you liked the Grand Prix's:

Posted Image

VS

Posted Image

I don't think by the way it read they ment the compare as a insult but a compliment.

The did point out the car was the best Pontiac with 4 doors ever built. They also pointed out when pushing it through the drive to Polimar it handled everything thrown at it and even when mistakes were made it was very forgiving. They also loved the brakes as they never faded under heavy use.

As for the interior they side the read seat was the best reas seat ever with a comfortable relined seating that would even suit someone over 6 foot tall well.

They noted the power to weight range was as good or bettter than most the cars already listed with the V8.

After reading you get the idea they really like the car and feel it is tops for its price range and only compre it to the more evpensive to show it is not far off from what they offer.

I get the feeling that these will be a hard to find on dealer lots as they will sell quick. The limited availablility my be its biggest problem.

Edited by hyperv6

The Grand Prix's interior is driver-canted, has a DIC, and HUD. Those alone make it >. I just wish there would be some follow-through on these technologies.

When I asked Mr. Lutz why no HUD, his response was you won't want it once I get into a G8 and turn on the engine on. I tried to explain that some people like and enjoy their Pontiac toys and won't even get into it without the Pontiac toys. Well at least it has side airbags this time and Holden Assist, oops I mean OnStar. :smilewide:

The Grand Prix's interior is driver-canted, has a DIC, and HUD. Those alone make it >. I just wish there would be some follow-through on these technologies.

The G8 has a DIC, too. If it's anything like the GTO's, it's a very good system.

Driver-canted is not as good as advertised, IMO, but perhaps you think differently. The ease of use of the controls is more important. The Alero had a driver-canted interior and I find the GTO's more complex radio just as easy to use.

HUD is a cool feature and I wish the G8 had it, but putting HUD in an unacceptable interior doesn't make it acceptable, IMO.

The HUD may be in the car later if and when once it becomes a Zeta.

The DIC in the GM is not a big deal. The can't of ths dash It not like it once was and is a non issue.

Having a present gen GP I can say if the final form of the interior is anything near the qualiy of the GTO or better I will have no issues with losing the HUD.

Just please keep the idiot that did the interior of the present GP and added the turned dash to the GXP away from the G8. That dash reeks of trailer park trash. Just because it looked good in the 60's and 70's dose not make a good dash today.

Sorry I can't scan the story since I have no scanner.

Edited by hyperv6

Mmm. Might the real reason be that it just isn't cost-effective to re-engineer the Commodore's dash to accommodate an option for a mere 25,000/yr sales? Does Lutz really think you're that stupid? I just have to laugh at his ill-deserved reputation for straight-talk.

When I asked Mr. Lutz why no HUD, his response was you won't want it once I get into a G8 and turn on the engine on. I tried to explain that some people like and enjoy their Pontiac toys and won't even get into it without the Pontiac toys. Well at least it has side airbags this time and Holden Assist, oops I mean OnStar. :smilewide:

Aww fudge thats okay they will put in online at some point. The HUD is no big deal to me, if I had the money in 2005 for a GXP I would have MADE sure it didn't have the weight adding toy. I like the new G8's interior alot but must say the 2004-2008 GP interior wasn't that bad even in GXP trim.

the G8 interior is outstanding and full of taste and high quality. anyone with a discerning sense for quality and impressive build, the kind that makes friends and family go wow, that's nice, when you're driving in it, would pick the G8. the gran prix is a relic from the past with trash interior quality and a completely undersirable exterior and interior design. other than that it's a bargain for the price, but the awful exterior and interior design are what hold it back completely.

Edited by turbo200

OnStar is worthless. Give me a HUD anyday.

Both are worthless, though I find the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics slightly interesting. Worry about a useful feature like bluetooth integration.

What's next, pining for the return of tons of body cladding and thousands of tiny grey buttons spread across the steering wheel cover and dash? Wood paneling for the G8 Wagon? Maybe some fixed glass for the back doors instead of rear windows that roll down? Move the tach out onto the hood?

As my Mom's 1998 Buick Park Ave had a HUD, I fail to see how it's a defining Pontiac feature.

I am going to renew Onstar. I like the hands-free calling feature, the emergency response feature, and the turn-by-turn nav feature (although I've never used the nav, and I don't even know if my truck is capable of it.) I find the vehicle diagnostics email feature a bit superfluous and even intrusive... I mean, I still have dash warning lights and I hope I can tell if something isn't right.

Does anyone know what the renewal rate is for Onstar these days?

Not a surprise, really. The VE had been getting rave reviews since its original launch.

For HUD, not a bad idea. Honestly, how much does it add to the cost? Put a tach mode, and it's a nice retro piece to add, emulating the old hood mounted tachs without the aerodynamic problems.

Edited by ToniCipriani

I cant wait to see the G8 in person...as far as Onstar, meh waste of money...and HUD? lol....cmon if you cant take your eyes off the road for a second to read your gauges, you shouldnt be driving in the first place.

I've always liked the HUD option and really enjoyed it in the 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan we had. It was a feature I wanted when we were getting a Rendezvous in 2003, but the wife was happy with a CX FWD model and the HUD feature was only available with the CXL trim. If I had the money in 2005 to buy a Bonneville GXP, I would have made sure the HUD option was there. Unfortunately, this is one option GM is moving away from. I know out of the three Lambdas, only the Acadia offers it as an option with the SLT-2 package. What other GM vehicles still offer it?

Corvette, Cadillac STS, Buick Lucerne, GMC Acadia are the only ones I can think of that offer HUD.

BMW 5-series

Interestingly, I noticed the 7-series has night vision. I don't know if it displays it via a HUD or on a NAV screen.

edit: Oh you said GM vehicles..... well..... BMW is doing it... it must be good. Posted Image

Edited by Oldsmoboi

BMW 5-series

Interestingly, I noticed the 7-series has night vision. I don't know if it displays it via a HUD or on a NAV screen.

edit: Oh you said GM vehicles..... well..... BMW is doing it... it must be good. Posted Image

Not necessarily..BMW also has iDrive, which is nonsensical...

As an owner of more than one car with HUD over the years I found it to be a vbery useful item in a car as has my wife. It is not as much a novalty if you have lived with one for a while.

I would give up any GPS unit or one of the many airbags for a HUD anyday but I it would not make me not buy the G8.

As for the G8 HUD, if it has one fine if not it is still a car to consider to buy as the sum of of the parts make a car not just one option or emblem.

Please base you opinions on the latest gen HUD as it has become a very useful tool with Color and the many options including GPS in some GM cars.

As an owner of more than one car with HUD over the years I found it to be a vbery useful item in a car as has my wife. It is not as much a novalty if you have lived with one for a while.

I would give up any GPS unit or one of the many airbags for a HUD anyday but I it would not make me not buy the G8.

As for the G8 HUD, if it has one fine if not it is still a car to consider to buy as the sum of of the parts make a car not just one option or emblem.

Please base you opinions on the latest gen HUD as it has become a very useful tool with Color and the many options including GPS in some GM cars.

The G8 will not come with HUD.

The G8 will not come with HUD.

Note my statement "As for the G8 HUD, if it has one fine if not it is still a car to consider to buy as the sum of of the parts make a car not just one option or emblem".

I never said was only IF.

Edited by hyperv6

From a styling standpoint, the G8 is not entirely successful. I think the exterior is a little bland for Pontiac.

Other than the slightly bland exterior, this car is a solid leap in the right direction as far as a brand appropriate product for the brand. Hopefully, this vehicle shows that GM might be serious about giving Pontiac an all rear wheel drive lineup that will restore the brand's affordable performance image. I'm tired of seeing Pontiac positioned as a slightly upscale Chevy brand. The G8 and Solstice point the way to a better future for Pontiac.

I also agree that it is great to see GM receive another positive product review. Enclave, CTS, Malibu, and G8; GM really does seem to be on a roll lately. Keep up the good work!

to all those complianing about styling, unless something goes wrong (or something happens causing TICK-TOCK" to be a reality) isnt it well known that this G8 is a temporary stopgap to be replaced when NA zeta at oshawa comes online?

i still have to say id rock a G8 GT like a $5 hooker... (id rock the ute twice as hard ;) )

BMW 5-series

And the new X5.