CTS, Malibu, Corvette make Car and Driver 10best

This is still unofficial, but this was posted elsewhere and purports that GM has 3 cars on C/D's ten best list....

When I get the concrete evidence to this i will update the post.

Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Honda Fit

BMW 3 Series

Cadillac CTS

Chevrolet Corvette

Chevrolet Malibu

Mazda MX-5

Mazdaspeed 3

Porsche Boxter and Cayman

Volkswagen GTI

congrats GM

they need to leave the Miata off there. Personally as stunningly good as the new malibu is, I do not think it quite deserves 10 best yet considering the tightness of the cabin and trunk and the plastic still not being what it ought to be. I don't feel the accord sedan belongs either, FWIW.

Edited by regfootball

This is still unofficial, but this was posted elsewhere and purports that GM has 3 cars on C/D's ten best list....

When I get the concrete evidence to this i will update the post.

Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Honda Fit

BMW 3 Series

Cadillac CTS

Chevrolet Corvette

Chevrolet Malibu

Mazda MX-5

Mazdaspeed 3

Porsche Boxter and Cayman

Volkswagen GTI

congrats GM

they need to leave the Miata off there. Personally as stunningly good as the new malibu is, I do not think it quite deserves 10 best yet considering the tightness of the cabin and trunk and the plastic still not being what it ought to be. I don't feel the accord sedan belongs either, FWIW.

The Malibu is definitely a surprising one, considering 10Best's emphasis on driving dynamics, the fun-to-drive, and often times, manual tranny availability. The LT 4-banger I drove didn't seem as responsive or agile as an Accord, Altima, or Passat 4-banger... the tall, widely-spaced gearing killed acceleration and the EPS still had a numb, disconnected feel. Perhaps the V-6 models with better suspension and better steering are a different story, and C&D likely factored in the Bu's significance and its overall value equation.

Edited by empowah

the fit is indeed a bit of a joke, but for those who like tin cans, its prob the most entertaining of the breed, despite having no hp.

saturday i visited the ford, chevy, and vw dealers. no doubt the malibu is a great package and a great value, but its useless for me because I value utility, room, and trunk space.

so i would probably lean to a leather equipped taurus SEL over a malibu from a utlity standpoint. I am not a huge passat sedan fan but the Passat wagon I sat in appealed to me with its 25 and change MSRP, turbo motor, manual tranny, and nice design inside and out, with leather and trumps the malibu in interior comfort also.

that said, the 4 cylinder LT bu i sat in for like 21 and change with remote start and power seat is a truly a good deal and likely is a big part of why the BU did so well. A nice stylish car at a really good deal either with v6 or 4.

The new Accord is a dissappointment. I won't say that I am a Honda fan, but I like Hondas. But the new Civic, CRV, RDX and MDX f*cked up real bad. I was hoping that they would not do that with the Accord, but it went through sex change too. Now the TSX seems like the final frontier. I hope they do not F*ck that up.

The new Accord is a dissappointment. I won't say that I am a Honda fan, but I like Hondas. But the new Civic, CRV, RDX and MDX f*cked up real bad. I was hoping that they would not do that with the Accord, but it went through sex change too. Now the TSX seems like the final frontier. I hope they do not F*ck that up.

really, so you think Civic and CR-V went from boy to girl? I can see that with those more than I can see it with Accord. After thinking about it though I guess Accord is a big curvaceous woman, she's a bit heavy though [from the styling not the specs].

really, so you think Civic and CR-V went from boy to girl? I can see that with those more than I can see it with Accord. After thinking about it though I guess Accord is a big curvaceous woman, she's a bit heavy though [from the styling not the specs].

No they went from He/ She to IT.

Looks wise, I used to give high marks for the Accord's interior. The new interior does not good and seems like they have got the mantra of Toy- Cost Cutting in an obvious manner.

Another thing I did not like is the shift linkage for the new 6-speed coupe is worse than the previous generation.

Who frickin' cares why or why not the Malibu should be on there. The fact is when was the last time 3 cars from GM made their list anyway people?!!!! This is great news and everyone wants to argue the most petty little details about everything else. I don't get it. Edited by RJB

Who frickin' cares why or why not the Malibu should be on there. The fact is when was the last time 3 cars from GM made their list anyway people?!!!! This is great news and everyone wants to argue the most petty little details about everything else. I don't get it.

I guess they've finally given up on 'Media Bias' as a talking point...they're just feeling out some new material.

Great news for GM. I personally don't see how the 'bu makes the list, but it's a sign of substantial progress, nonetheless.

Compared to what else out there? The Accord is already on the list and the Camry is getting knocked regularly now.

There isn't about a dozen products out there that are more interesting?

If we're restricting ourselves to family sedans, then there's the Altima and the LX's....I'm not sure, but I don't believe that C&D has a categorized list, so the choices are many...

they need to leave the Miata off there.

In the words of Siegen, as opposed to what? Besides styling and the GXP/RL versions, the Kappas certainly don't have anything over it. The Miata is still the better performer and easier to live with... and light, like a small roadster is supposed to be.

And we are to be impressed with a group that thinks the honda fit is a top 10?

Why? It's the best subcompact... The Aveo is $h! is most ways thinkable. As is the Yaris. The Versa isn't bad, but not as good.. and in the wrong size class. The Accent and Rio are also-rans. That leaves us with... the Fit. It's deserved.

LXes are old news... and that interior.....

Altima doesn't bring anything new to the table that wasn't there in the previous version..... 'cept maybe it's ability to catch fire from a stray cigarette butt.

The LX's are old news, but they're still a great value and a solid ride...they've even avoided much of the bugs of the current crop of new Chryslers. I would argue they're infinitely more significant than another FWD buggy in the mid-class sedan arena.

The Altima is an enthusiasts FWD bland-mobile...but it's got a much in=mproved interior, which was the most serious error in the last gen.

I'm not really arguing for either, just throwing them out there if restricted to sedans in a certain price range...again, I don't believe that C&D has 'categories' per se.

ya know, if this list is true, then GM bumped off the Chrysler 300 and the Infiniti G35.

Here's the 2007 list.

2007 BMW 3-series

2007 Chevrolet Corvette

2007 Chrysler 300

2007 Honda Accord

2007 Honda Fit

2007 Infiniti G35 sedan

2007 Mazda MX-5

2007 Mazdaspeed 3

2007 Porsche Boxster and Cayman

2007 Volkswagen GTI

Which really makes me think that C&D is using categories... since Malibu would be the replacement for 300 and CTS would be the replacement for G35.

ya know, if this list is true, then GM bumped off the Chrysler 300 and the Infiniti G35.

Here's the 2007 list.

2007 BMW 3-series

2007 Chevrolet Corvette

2007 Chrysler 300

2007 Honda Accord

2007 Honda Fit

2007 Infiniti G35 sedan

2007 Mazda MX-5

2007 Mazdaspeed 3

2007 Porsche Boxster and Cayman

2007 Volkswagen GTI

Which really makes me think that C&D is using categories... since Malibu would be the replacement for 300 and CTS would be the replacement for G35.

Interesting...good eye.

If so, I can't argue to strenuously against the 'bu...but I just can't get that excited about it either. We've got a loaded LTZ in our showroom that looks great, but it just doesn't seem to be generating a tremendous amount of interest...the 4 cylinders we got in are all long gone....

has there been anything exciting in that catagory other than the initial release of the LX cars in say... the past 30 years?

Probably not.

Just goes to show you the potential of a game changing idea....mini-LX's based on the C-class, with Airflite & traditional Dodge cues would have been amazing...instead we get the Avenger/Sebring disasters....

LX cars offer a lot. but the malibu is deserving. i have seen a black LTZ with the black on red interior. it is the best of the midsize sedan lot. the colors are great in person, and the quality feel is overshadowed by the quality looks. it looks fantastic. [i'll have a complete report on this experience in the coming days, GM chose an excellent place and season for exposure, in the heart of a posh mall where people dress to look upscale, in the heart of Beverly Hills, the Malibu seriously was attracting attention.] the best midsize/fullsize sedan in the 20-30k price range, to me. Only the Passat and Jetta are close or equals to my eyes. the malibu has a case of the first generation Altima condition, the quality isn't the best but the excitement and style are there and are epidemic. I believe Accord and Camry are the next step below style-wise, along with Altima, these are the four most sophisticated looking cars in the midsize sedan arena. Fusion rounds it out in this arena for its expressiveness and stylish interior, but I think its styling trends are not of this decade, so it stays behind for me.

of course, the majority of buyers will go for the 4 cylinder, and that's why GM can't come out with the 6-speed fast enough. And the quality is somewhat of a detractor, no doubt. but like the mustang when it originally came out in 65, the malibu is a breath of fresh air in its segment, and it shows GM is trying really hard to impress with design taste. I think a fair amount of GM buyers who have migrated to a cheap Sonata, Kia, or Camry in the last four or five years will be drawn by buzz and good design sense. the malibu is eye catching enough to draw them in, a great V6, a great ride, and a great price will seal the deal. I sincerely hope they don't incentivise this too much or at all, for a long time, to preserve the integrity of the product.

Edited by turbo200

Interesting...good eye.

If so, I can't argue to strenuously against the 'bu...but I just can't get that excited about it either. We've got a loaded LTZ in our showroom that looks great, but it just doesn't seem to be generating a tremendous amount of interest...the 4 cylinders we got in are all long gone....

..but wouldn't that be following the Camry/Accord formula? Over 75% of their 'sales' are in the 4 cylinder category. After all, this is the mid-size family class: these people are not necessarily looking for rockets, just reliable, affordable transportation to get from A to B. Back when the Malibu sold over 300k units a year, they were hardly 'class leading.'

Still, it does't hurt to have a car that people WANT to be seen in, rather than choose because it is cheap.