NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM to launch new global platform by 2009

37 posts in this topic

November26

General Motors will soon launch an all-new platform to replace the current Delta architecture — which underpins the Opel/Vauxhall Astra, Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR and Pontiac G5 — a new report finds. The new architecture will underpin several new vehicles, including low-cost cars in South America and medium-sized cars for Opel in Europe.

The new compact, front-drive platform could carry as many as five different body styles, with the first examples bowing as early as 2009 in Europe and the U.S. GM is expecting to have all planned models in production by 2012, with annual sales totaling 1.2 million units.

The new architecture — which is being developed in Germany — will generate sedans, hatchbacks and minivans, including a Daewoo-badged model for Korea and a Chevrolet for Europe. Saab is also reportedly in the running for a new model based on the platform and the production Chevrolet Volt will also ride on the new architecture.

“We are doing a new platform that has a huge bandwidth,” Peter Mertens, vehicle line executive for the architecture, told Automotive News. “We’ll have different approaches in different regions.”

Mertens also revealed that vehicles riding on the new platform will share sheet metal — to simplify production — but will wear unique fascias and grilles to match individual brands. “If you drive them next to each other, you will certainly see there is a difference in chassis performance between an Opel and a Chevy or between a Buick and a Chevy,” he said. “Each is engineered to compete against very specific competitors.”

Powertrains will continue to be tailored to specific regions.

SOURCE:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-to-launch-n...rm-by-2009.html

Mertens also revealed that vehicles riding on the new platform will share sheet metal — to simplify production — but will wear unique fascias and grilles to match individual brands. “If you drive them next to each other, you will certainly see there is a difference in chassis performance between an Opel and a Chevy or between a Buick and a Chevy,” he said. “Each is engineered to compete against very specific competitors.”

does this mean like commodore and G8 where the models that share sheetmetal are in totally different markets, or are we talking another cobalt/g5 fiasco?

does this mean like commodore and G8 where the models that share sheetmetal are in totally different markets, or are we talking another cobalt/g5 fiasco?

Since we're only scheduled to get the Astra and Cobalt (and Volt) as of now (though there have been rumors about a Buick), I don't see the Cobalt/G5 fiasco happening. There is a Chevy sedan that starts production in mid-to-late 2009 and is for NA only, and the Saturn sedan starts mid-2010, so I don't think they would share much, if any, sheetmetal, and the Saturn is shared with Opel, along with a 5dr HB, SW, 3dr HB, and convertible, though it is unclear which bodystyles are coming here other than the sedan.

I can't see a NA-only Chevy sedan sharing sheetmetal with the Saturn, since the Saturn could have up to 5 different bodystyles, though I doubt we see them all here. There is also a Chevy MPV and tentatively, a Chevy convertible planned, but I don't know if those are coming here or not.

The AutoBlog Version:

link

GM's new compact front-wheel-drive platform created to replace the Delta platform is longer with a longer wheelbase than its predecessor. This will give allow it to underpin at least eight new models in a range of segments and markets around the world. Compare that to the current Delta platform, which sits under just six models (including the current Cobalt and coming Astra), all of them small or mid-sized vehicles.

The as-yet-unnamed platform is expected by 2012 to be produced in volumes exceeding one million units per year. It will form the basis for small, economy models to be sold in emerging markets for under $10,000, as well as luxury models sold in Europe for $40,000, and everything in between. The extra length will also allow it to underpin a small Chevy minivan or CUV, as well as a 7-passenger SUV replacement for the Opel Zafira. Other variants include the next-gen Saturn Astra in 2009 or 2010, a South-Korean-market Daewoo, a European Chevrolet, a China-market Buick, the Chevy Volt, and a potential Saab model.

The new platform will also allow GM to exploit the economies of scale that it can't do now with the Delta, because region-specific engineering has often made the platform unusable in some markets. The new platform "will be identical across the globe," and the same suppliers will be used in many cases, hopefully allowing GM to take real advantage of the global platform its been working on for some time now. In the mean time, the Cobalt is expected to ditch the Delta platform in favor of the also front-wheel-drive Gamma platform, and the Pontiac G5 will be put on the Alpha rear-wheel-drive platform, all according to Automotive News. Mmm... a RWD Pontiac G5 would almost make up for the current model.

[source: Auto News, sub. req'd]

The Cobalt is not going to Gamma... that is the Aveo. Gamma is Aveo/Kalos, Corsa, and three other programs that are somewhat unclear, though it is clear they are not sedans.

At least internally the program is called "Global Delta."

They are right about the Chevy minivan/CUV (MPV), Zafira, Daewoo, and a possible Saab. I'm not sure of a European Chevy, but seeing as how there is a NA-only Chevy sedan, I would guess there's a Chevy for Europe, too. They're also correct about the Chinese Buick, which has been rumored to be on its way to the states, but there have been nothing more than rumors that I have seen.

November26

General Motors will soon launch an all-new platform to replace the current Delta architecture — which underpins the Opel/Vauxhall Astra, Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR and Pontiac G5 — a new report finds. The new architecture will underpin several new vehicles, including low-cost cars in South America and medium-sized cars for Opel in Europe.

The new compact, front-drive platform could carry as many as five different body styles, with the first examples bowing as early as 2009 in Europe and the U.S. GM is expecting to have all planned models in production by 2012, with annual sales totaling 1.2 million units.

The new architecture — which is being developed in Germany — will generate sedans, hatchbacks and minivans, including a Daewoo-badged model for Korea and a Chevrolet for Europe. Saab is also reportedly in the running for a new model based on the platform and the production Chevrolet Volt will also ride on the new architecture.

“We are doing a new platform that has a huge bandwidth,” Peter Mertens, vehicle line executive for the architecture, told Automotive News. “We’ll have different approaches in different regions.”

Powertrains will continue to be tailored to specific regions.

SOURCE:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-to-launch-n...rm-by-2009.html

Hmmmmm! :smilewide:

longer wheelbase than its predecessor.

thank you.

a bit more girth too i hope.

lets hope the next cobalt comes SENTRASIZED

Aveo can come versasized.

and that would be about purrrfect.

And in other news, the new cobalt which is due in 2010 is going to weigh as much as a 2005 Acura TSX, i.e. 3200 lbs.

there seems to be a trend in which cars continually grow in size until they become irrelevant. Malibu is pushing into Impala territory, sounds like this is pushing into old malibu territory. Guess the next Impala needs to be a boat, and the Aveo will push closer to current cobalt size, while the Beat will fill in under aveo.

Same thing happens to other manufacturers - look at the civic

there seems to be a trend in which cars continually grow in size until they become irrelevant. Malibu is pushing into Impala territory, sounds like this is pushing into old malibu territory. Guess the next Impala needs to be a boat, and the Aveo will push closer to current cobalt size, while the Beat will fill in under aveo.

Same thing happens to other manufacturers - look at the civic

While I do not disagree, this tactic to me just seems like that the manufacturers seem to be running out of ideas.

Make it larger and make it more powerful seems to be the mantra everywhere. Those are the envelopes they are constantly trying to push.

What is wrong with the current sized cobalt? Yes it can stretch about an inch or two in the width and in the wheelbase. But adding 6-7 inches will be disgusting. When most of the people (In Europe or in US) drive with one or two people in the car, and do not utilize the trunk or the cabin capacity to the 80% of its limit, 80% of the time, this is adding to "give" the customer more room is just to hide auto manufacturer's flaw that they are not innovating.

Very confusing. One report doesn't mention the next generation U.S. Cobalt at all and the other report states that the next generation U.S. Cobalt will be placed on the Gamma platform. I thought Gamma was supposed to be a subcompact platform that GM uses for the Corsa and Aveo. I can't see GM putting the NG Cobalt on this platform unless they are repositioning the NG Cobalt as a value leader in the compact segment while the NG Astra would compete with the Civic, Mazda3, and Jetta. This would certainly be a change in direction for the Cobalt. I remember when Chevy introduced the Cobalt; they claimed it was a premium compact. There has been so much speculation about the Cobalt's future; I would like to see one reliable source come forward with a definitive, factual statement.

If the Autoblog version is legit, I am glad to see the NG G5 will be placed on the Alpha platform. Hopefully, GM will expand the range to include sedan and convertible variants as well as the coupe.

I find it disturbing when GM talks about platform mates sharing sheetmetal. I was hoping that they had finally learned their lesson about badge engineering. It is not so bad when the cars will never be sold in the same country (such as the Holden Commodore and Pontiac G8), but it blatantly reeks of cost cutting when the cars are available in the same market (such as the Cobalt/G5 and Equinox/Torrent). I know we will never see the Daewoo version in the U.S., but there is a possibility that we might see the Buick or Saab versions here. If they share all sheetmetal except the grille and fascias, there won't be much to separate them from the NG Saturn Astra. An Astra with a Buick or Saab grille is still an Astra. This is really disappointing because I thought GM was going to move beyond this practice.

As far as a sub-LaCrosse Buick compact sedan in the U.S., I would still like to see one created using a shortened Epsilon platform. Oh well, so much for wishful thinking.

Edited by cire

While I do not disagree, this tactic to me just seems like that the manufacturers seem to be running out of ideas.

Make it larger and make it more powerful seems to be the mantra everywhere. Those are the envelopes they are constantly trying to push.

What is wrong with the current sized cobalt? Yes it can stretch about an inch or two in the width and in the wheelbase. But adding 6-7 inches will be disgusting. When most of the people (In Europe or in US) drive with one or two people in the car, and do not utilize the trunk or the cabin capacity to the 80% of its limit, 80% of the time, this is adding to "give" the customer more room is just to hide auto manufacturer's flaw that they are not innovating.

cobalt is currently deficient to most competitors in interior space and comfort.

cobalt is currently deficient to most competitors in interior space and comfort.

It's especially cramped in the backseat.

The trouble is that over a couple generations, the size can really creep up. Not saying it's not appropriate to up-size the car a little, but perhaps it can go too far?

I hope the cars we see on Global Delta in the states don't look like each other.

I agree, do a minimal stretch and don't over inflate the Cobalt. I'm very adamant when I say this, but cars are getting way way too fat and bloated these days. Look at Lotus cars even, they are gaining weight because they keep adding crap to a beautiful simplistic car that is not meant to wipe your ass while driving. And why have the Cobalt fwd and the G5 rwd?!! This sounds like a lot of mis-information to me.

It's especially cramped in the backseat.

You do not have to add a lot of girth to make the car bigger. Like I said, if Cobalt gets stretched an inch or two in the width and wheelbase, it will not be cramped.

And if people are looking for space, then they should go to Malibu.

Yeah, but I like this progression in this case. The Malibu will be a true midsize, the Impala (hopefully) will be a RWD flagship sedan, the Cobalt will get a bit bigger (and hopefully a lot better) to compete with the Civic which should leave room for the Aveo to grow slightly and increase it's volume, and finally, that should leave just enough room for a sub-Aveo that is more practical and in a differentiated market from the Aveo.

Question: I thought E-Flex was a platform that was derived from, but different from Delta (sort of how Kappa grew out of Delta). The way this is worded makes me believe that E-Flex is a system that is outfitted for the Delta platform. Is that correct? If so, you could easily see quick proliferation of the system to a number of model lines if the Volt is successful.

You do not have to add a lot of girth to make the car bigger. Like I said, if Cobalt gets stretched an inch or two in the width and wheelbase, it will not be cramped.

And if people are looking for space, then they should go to Malibu.

wow, you haven't sat in the new malibu yet. it's arguably less comfortable in the front than the cobalt. malibu is cramped too.

like i said, go check out the size of the sentra and versa. jetta and rabbit are good benchmarks too. and no one would accuse those cars of being too big.

The trouble is that over a couple generations, the size can really creep up. Not saying it's not appropriate to up-size the car a little, but perhaps it can go too far?

The usual practice is to cut off the top-end car (which eventually starts to lose sales as it gets bigger e.g. Scorpio, Senator, Omega and Taurus) and introduce a smaller model at the bottom end. It can probably be already argued that as the LaCrosse moves into LeSabre territory, the Lucerne should be dropped (or moved upmarket to replace the low-volume PA) and a smaller midsize model added to replace the Skylark and Century (as I've said so many, many times).

wow, you haven't sat in the new malibu yet. it's arguably less comfortable in the front than the cobalt. malibu is cramped too.

like i said, go check out the size of the sentra and versa. jetta and rabbit are good benchmarks too. and no one would accuse those cars of being too big.

Comparison

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating N/A N/A 3,549 lbs. N/A

Curb Weight 3,216 lbs. 3,436 lbs. 2,991 lbs. 3,230 lbs.

Payload N/A N/A N/A 1,094 lbs.

Max Trailer Weight 1,000 lbs. N/A 1,000 lbs. N/A

Drag Coefficient N/A N/A 0.35 0.31

Front Legroom 41.8 " 42.2 " 42.4 " 41.2 "

Rear Legroom 33.7 " 37.6 " 34.5 " 35.4 "

Front Headroom 38.5 " 39.4 " 40.6 " 38.5 "

Rear Headroom 37.7 " 37.2 " 37.3 " 37.2 "

Front Hiproom 49.6 " 53.0 " 54.1 " N/A

Rear Hiproom 46.4 " 52.1 " 53.0 " N/A

Front Shoulder Room 53.0 " 55.9 " 56.9 " 54.8 "

Rear Shoulder Room 51.4 " 53.9 " 55.1 " 53.1 "

Passenger Volume 87 cu.ft. N/A 98 cu.ft. 91 cu.ft.

Interior Cargo Volume 13.9 cu.ft. 15.1 cu.ft. 13.1 cu.ft. 16.0 cu.ft.

linenums:0'>Dimensions and Capacities Cobalt Malibu Sentra JettaDoor Count 4 doors 4 doors 4 doors 4 doorsMaximum Cargo Volume 13.9 cu.ft. 15.1 cu.ft. 13.1 cu.ft. 16.0 cu.ft.Exterior Length 180.3 " 191.8 " 179.8 " 179.3 "Exterior Width 67.9 " 70.3 " 70.5 " 70.1 "Exterior Height 57.1 " 57.1 " 59.5 " 57.4 "Wheelbase 103 " 112 " 106 " 102 "Front Tread 59 " 60 " 60 " 61 "Rear Tread 58 " 60 " 61 " 60 "Turning Radius 16.7 ' 20.2 ' 17.7 ' 17.9 'Gross Vehicle Weight Rating N/A N/A 3,549 lbs. N/ACurb Weight 3,216 lbs. 3,436 lbs. 2,991 lbs. 3,230 lbs.Payload N/A N/A N/A 1,094 lbs.Max Trailer Weight 1,000 lbs. N/A 1,000 lbs. N/ADrag Coefficient N/A N/A 0.35 0.31Front Legroom 41.8 " 42.2 " 42.4 " 41.2 "Rear Legroom 33.7 " 37.6 " 34.5 " 35.4 "Front Headroom 38.5 " 39.4 " 40.6 " 38.5 "Rear Headroom 37.7 " 37.2 " 37.3 " 37.2 "Front Hiproom 49.6 " 53.0 " 54.1 " N/ARear Hiproom 46.4 " 52.1 " 53.0 " N/AFront Shoulder Room 53.0 " 55.9 " 56.9 " 54.8 "Rear Shoulder Room 51.4 " 53.9 " 55.1 " 53.1 "Passenger Volume 87 cu.ft. N/A 98 cu.ft. 91 cu.ft.Interior Cargo Volume 13.9 cu.ft. 15.1 cu.ft. 13.1 cu.ft. 16.0 cu.ft.

Tell me how Jetta is more roomy than the Chevies? I agree with the Sentra, but it is its tall boy design which makes for more headroom. I still stand by to what I said earlier, a couple of inches in width and wheelbase will make a decent difference. They should not target more than that.

J Cars 2010?

At least the J bodies looked different and you can tell them apart. The Cobalt and G5 is inexcusable.

I hope the cars we see on Global Delta in the states don't look like each other.

Actually, odd enough, you can see evidence of this "shared-design cues" logic in the current Delta cars, specifically in the front fender designs of the Cobalt/G5 and the Astra. They aren't exactly the same, but they are actually sort of close. Just look at them for a few moments, and you might see my point. You can also find some similarities elsewhere.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not liking the sound of how the article described the whole idea, though. It sounds like we're taking a few big steps backward. I guess this also calls an end to the HHR, as well.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor