Hypothetically Speaking...

Cory Wolfe

I know you won't care, but our 2000 Sunfire has been flawless in the 7 years we've had it.

My 1997 Cavalier has only needed a power steering pump- on speculation of a problem, in the 10 years we've had ours too... Sure it rattles a bit and the 2.2 is crude but it's a tough little car. Always starts in -40 Degree weather without the block heater plugged in still.

Camino, I'd love to own any of those, but I have a feeling that those auctions will close above my price limit. I rarely see '98-'02 Firebirds going for less than $5k or $6k.

*Edit* Perhaps not. I did find this one on Autotrader... and it's one of my favorite shades of blue. Clicky :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Camino, I'd love to own any of those, but I have a feeling that those auctions will close above my price limit. I rarely see '98-'02 Firebirds going for less than $5k or $6k.

The V6 cars (especially with a manual) go pretty cheap. Quite a bit of car for the money.

I just wanted to point out that you can get more car for the same money as some bland old sedan.

Just keep your eyes open and when you are really ready, I'd bet you could find one like the ones I've posted within your range. Note the relatively low mileage of those cars Vs. the price. Don't spend your cash on some dumpy W body with over 100k on it - you won't be happy.

Pick a few cars you really like, and save a serch for each one on ebay. After you follow the auctions for a while you'll know a good deal when you see it.

How receptive would your insurance agent be if you gave him a list of potential vehicles for rate quotes? Are you on your parents' insurance?

Those are some nice looking Firebirds, btw. Although the green one is the only front-wheel drive Firebird known to exist, ha.

How receptive would your insurance agent be if you gave him a list of potential vehicles for rate quotes? Are you on your parents' insurance?

Those are some nice looking Firebirds, btw. Although the green one is the only front-wheel drive Firebird known to exist, ha.

Hmm, I'm not sure. But, yes, I'm on my parent's insurance plan.

I know of a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged for sale for $2000 CAN. It is in excellent condition with no rust, leather is good, engine is good even at 290k kms which is nothing for the Series II. The Supercharger was rebuilt apparently as well.

In miles that is about 190k miles probably with a new transmission even. It is fairly hard to come by another low mileage car. Low mileage isn't always good though. Sometimes that can mean they have sat for years or so. The larger mileage cars that have been highway driven are equally as good. Don't let mileage scare you because sometimes it means something. I have seen many cars coming into my work that have pushed 500k kms and they are still in excellent shape. If a 23 year old car has 100k miles, obviously it has sat for a bit or just been city driven which is stop and go. Just take that into thought when buying another car.

In miles that is about 190k miles probably with a new transmission even. It is fairly hard to come by another low mileage car. Low mileage isn't always good though. Sometimes that can mean they have sat for years or so. The larger mileage cars that have been highway driven are equally as good. Don't let mileage scare you because sometimes it means something. I have seen many cars coming into my work that have pushed 500k kms and they are still in excellent shape. If a 23 year old car has 100k miles, obviously it has sat for a bit or just been city driven which is stop and go. Just take that into thought when buying another car.

I'm quite aware of that... but, I'm not taking any chances. Anything with more than 120k is out of consideration. As well as anything older than 1992. I'd prefer to keep it under 100k and no older than 1995, but as you said, it's nots always easy to find to low mileage vehicles. High mileage, no matter how you spin it, equates to the vehicle being driven more. In most cases, you're not going to know it's history. Anyone can lie about how a vehicle was driven. Anything with major components replaced is a major red flag to me, as well. In most cases, no vehicle should need a transmission or an engine replaced unless they were abused. Is that the sort of a vehicle I want to look for as a dead-reliable daily driver? No.

I'm quite aware of that... but, I'm not taking any chances. Anything with more than 120k is out of consideration. As well as anything older than 1992. I'd prefer to keep it under 100k and no older than 1995, but as you said, it's nots always easy to find to low mileage vehicles. High mileage, no matter how you spin it, equates to the vehicle being driven more. In most cases, you're not going to know it's history. Anyone can lie about how a vehicle was driven. Anything with major components replaced is a major red flag to me, as well. In most cases, no vehicle should need a transmission or an engine replaced unless they were abused. Is that the sort of a vehicle I want to look for as a dead-reliable daily driver? No.

How 'bout a 3800 Bonneville?