Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToniCipriani

Pontiac G6

11 posts in this topic

I was talking to some people about the refreshing of the G6, and I came up with this.

Posted Image

Some design aspects:

- Front is inspired by the Solstice and the new Malibu, as well as a bit from the Mazda 6. The strong coke bottle styling of the Solstice really fits the theme for the G6 to look more aggressive. Front grille styling aligns with the new G8 and Vibe.

- Unique to the G6 is a full glass roof, which replaces the panoramic sunroof. Essentially the option on the Malibu Maxx, it is a large spoiler sunroof, with a skylight for the rear.

- All the doors are frameless. The B-pillar will be hidden behind the two windows, much like what it's done on the current G6 coupe.

- Rear is essentially an updated version of the G6 coupe rear end. It is adapted, with an added C-pillar glass, to form a 5-door layout.

Toni, I like all of your idears with this sketch. Nice job!

hmmm perhaps I'll do an overlay for you! Or maybe make a new sketch with your design?

Edited by Burns

Well here's my quick interpretation of your sketch!

Posted Image

and a very quick and crude render:

Posted Image

I hope you like it, though personally I would have preferred a more daring design, but this is good for a MCE. :)

Edited by Burns

I like the ideas, but Burns sketch looks a bit too camry like for my taste, but both are decent ideas anyway. I think a more aggressive stance would be better, as I really like the current G6, IMO it is one of the best looking cars on the road today.

More of my lousy drawings... :D

Interior:

g6sedaninteriorik3.jpg

I kept the interior design mostly similar to the current one, as the overall layout is well designed. I got rid of some stupidities, such as the cup holders, that has been relocated to the door instead of in the way of the stick shift. New is a HUD, which resembles the old Firebird hood mounted tachs, and the DIC has been relocated into the dash, not on the radio anymore. Also new is a keyless engine start button with EmotionSense. Essentially it shows the "emotion" (engine mode and suspension setup) that G6 is in. The G6 logo in the start button lights up in different colours:

Green - G6 is calm (Engine off, ready to start)

White - G6 is smooth (Engine in economy mode, softer touring suspension)

Red - G6 is aggressive (Engine in max power mode, firmer sport suspension)

Smooth is used for daily driving, Aggressive is used for spirited driving. Also back is stealth mode for the HUD, which turns off all dashboard lighting except for the HUD.

The "emotion" of G6 can be selected via the DIC or a button on the steering wheel. Also implemented as a workaround for CAFE (thanks, Washington DC).

Essentially, that also brings the point that I've thrown in adjustable suspension that's usually only found in higher end luxury cars. Softer ride for daily driving comfort and firmer suspension for spirited driving.

Front/Rear:

g6sedanfrhl1.jpg

Basically the profile and overall shape came from the Solstice, and adapted to fit the G6. In the rear the tailpipes are wedge shaped and flows with the bumper rather than a circular pipe sticking out.

Powertrain Ideas:

Available in FWD (standard on all) or rear-biased AWD (optional on GT and GXP)

2.4L DI @ 200hp standard on base

3.6L @ 265hp optional on base and standard on GT

3.6L DI @ 300hp standard on GXP

Edited by ToniCipriani

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0