Pontiac G8 ST

Well it looks like the UTE is going to be a G8 ST per Autoblog reports. Here is what was posted.

Mike Levine over at Pickuptruck.com has managed to scoop a tasty nugget of info about the Pontiac-branded ute that will soon be for sale in the U.S. The Aussie-import based on the same platform as the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan will be called the G8 ST, as in "Sport Truck".

That pang of disappointment you feel is the missed opportunity of paying homage to GM's most well known car-based pickups and their colorful names: the Chevy El Camino and GMC Caballero. Rather than dubbing Pontiac's ute the "Tamale" or "El Camino Redux", we get a measly little two-letter suffix. Sigh.

Also of note is that the pickup will only be available with a 6.0L V8 and is likely to start around $31,000.

Meh, so it gets a stupid alphanumeric - what else is new?

Starting at 31k? what happened to being less expensive than the sedan?

No matter really, I still plan to get one.

So is this confirmation that it will happen, or more "what if"?

Don't mind me, I'm just tired and grumpy this evening. <_<

Meh, so it gets a stupid alphanumeric - what else is new?

Starting at 31k? what happened to being less expensive than the sedan?

No matter really, I still plan to get one.

So is this confirmation that it will happen, or more "what if"?

Don't mind me, I'm just tired and grumpy this evening. <_<

My pension fund thanks you! Why are you tired and grumpy this evening? :scratchchin:

typhoon....

why not just G8 utility?

and, they really ought to offer this with a v6.

it'll be interesting to see what volume of these they bring over. my guess is only about 5,000 but in and of itself that should create lots of publicity. that, and its a unique offering for GM in the market.

Edited by regfootball

I guess I'm OK with this. I like that they're making it part of the G8 family...not sure why, but I do.

The only thing that troubles me is that this is an indication that Pontiac is moving toward a muscle-car performance brand. But, that's going to overlap some of what Chevy does. They should have just made an El Camino for Chevy if they really wanted this car and focused Pontiac on being more of a sport performance brand. They already had a good start with the Solstice.

Well Camino, you can always debadge it and then stick a couple Chevy emblems and an El Camino emblem :AH-HA_wink:

I could do more than that. I could get a ME market Chevy nose for it, but I don't think I'll bother. It is what it is, stupid name and all.

Debadging is tempting though.

GM has too much invested in this stupid alphanumeric scheme to abandon it for a while. So we are stuck with it for now. As long as the product is good, I plan to overlook the crappy names.

I'm just a messenger, for one more powerful than I. I'm like an angel of the Lord, yeah that's it, just like an angel of the Lord! :AH-HA_wink:

Uh-huh..more like a messenger of the Devil :)

(not that I believe in any of that heaven/hell/God/Devil stuff.. I'm a rational, secular atheist).

In the early '90s, GMC referred to their sporty versions of the Sierra and Sonoma pickups as "ST" - for sport trucks. What's old is new again.

You are correct sir. Since GMC and Pontiac and Buick are in the same dealerships, and a apart of the same marketing team, it makes sense.

This too shall pass! TICK-TOCK! :AH-HA_wink:

Hmm.... I wonder what you are referring to???

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

You are correct sir. Since GMC and Pontiac and Buick are in the same dealerships, and a apart of the same marketing tem, it makes sense.

Hmm.... I wonder what you are referring to???

Reading between the lines, I think PCS means in a few years the Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealers will become Buick-GMC dealers when Pontiac goes the way of Oldsmobile..

How long are we going to have to be reading this t i c k - t o c k crap? We get it already.

Everytime I type in t i c k t o c k with no spaces between, HOLDEN LIVES shows up in its place once its posted. What's up with that?

Edited by K.C.

I'm just a messenger, for one more powerful than I. I'm like an angel of the Lord, yeah that's it, just like an angel of the Lord! :AH-HA_wink:

Ah! To love the sound of ones own keyboard clicking.

Satan was a Angel too but God was smart enough to cast him out! It seems he thought he knew more than God and Bob Lutz. :AH-HA_wink:

It's unfortunate that it won't come with the V6. Not everybody wants or needs 361 hp.

As for ST, it could be worse. Still, I associate it with Dodge.

There just won't be enough of them to offer the V6. With production as low as it will have to be, GM will want to sell only units that maximize profits.

As for me, I'm hoping for at least 400HP in a GXP version, which I may completely debadge.

There just won't be enough of them to offer the V6. With production as low as it will have to be, GM will want to sell only units that maximize profits.

As for me, I'm hoping for at least 400HP in a GXP version, which I may completely debadge.

You know you want to do it. Come on Camino. You will be so cool if you do. :lol:

first thing, beautiful car... 2nd... i thought those a 68-72 elk had frameless windows?

Thanks.

Nope, no frameless windows until '73. The Chevelles got an update (which eliminated the wing windows among other things) , but the wagons and El Caminos retained the original '68 design and kept their wing windows. If you look closely at an El Camino or wagon, you will see that the front fenders are not the same as a Chevelle coupe.

im in love with it :wub: i noticed a while ago that my friends 70 chevelle was the only body style without wings, didnt know about the window frames... did the Malibu 2 door posts have frames?.. jw... and whats the diff on the front fenders?

The 2-door post cars had frames ( '68 only IIRC) and those cars had wings. I believe the change was in '69.

If you look at the rear of the front fenders on a Camino or a wagon, you will see that they are relatively flat, on a Coupe, they are rounded (curved outward) from top to bottom. They will not interchange.