Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car and Driver Reviews Malibu LTZ

Having a dedicated cancel button makes more sense than some obscure combination of buttons that the owner would have to dig through the owner's manual to find. Remember, this is a midsize car, the buyers aren't car buffs and aren't brilliant.

Having a dedicated cancel button makes more sense than some obscure combination of buttons that the owner would have to dig through the owner's manual to find. Remember, this is a midsize car, the buyers aren't car buffs and aren't brilliant.

A button for this a button for that, pretty soon somebody will what to add i-drive or mmi. Have you seen a Mercedes or audi manual lately? :(

Cruise in my car works like this.

Cruise button on dash turns cruise indicator light on. Set accl on wheel to actually engage cruise (accl/dccl buttons on wheel). To turn it off press button on dash again. Is this how the Malibu works?

Cool beans. I may look at one of these when the lease is up on the Equinox. And just maybe the 4- cylinder one may be enough. Though the V6 does offer excellent performance.

• 3 weeks later...
I hate it when people use cruise control on the highway.

I hate it when people don't use cruise control on the highway. Pick a freaking speed. I do 5 over generally. I don't want to have to slow down for someone, get around them, then have them fly past me three minutes later. The only place I see cruise as annoying on the highway is when someone is creeping by a semi at 1mph faster than the semi.

Then again, maybe the whole dynamic is different in Cali vs Idaho. Here we can just get out & go, it's not very congested.

Edited by PurdueGuy

I hate it when people don't use cruise control on the highway. Pick a freaking speed. I do 5 over generally. I don't want to have to slow down for someone, get around them, then have them fly past me three minutes later. The only place I see cruise as annoying on the highway is when someone is creeping by a semi at 1mph faster than the semi.

Then again, maybe the whole dynamic is different in Cali vs Idaho. Here we can just get out & go, it's not very congested.

About the only place I use cruise control is when I'm on a freeway outside of a metro area, with no mountains... an environment in which I'm very rarely in, so I end up using CC only a few times a year at most.

Wow, that's a lot of discussion over the cruise control. A couple of thoughts:

This is something that probably should have been included, but honestly how often do you really use the cancel button on your cruise? More importantly, if they had to go to this to find stuff wrong, then the new bu is doing alright.

but honestly how often do you really use the cancel button on your cruise?

Actually I wish I had one. I just got back from school in NC to upstate NY and my VUE doesn't have a cancel button like the malibu. If I drove average speed (5 mph over) like most people it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue, but when you're dealing with VA and NC drivers who think that they deserve the left lane 24/7, and I drive 10-15mph over on long trips (It saves hours on a normally 12+ hour trip), I constantly have to tap the brakes to cancel cruise because. It gets kinda tiresome.

-Joe

Actually I wish I had one. I just got back from school in NC to upstate NY and my VUE doesn't have a cancel button like the malibu. If I drove average speed (5 mph over) like most people it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue, but when you're dealing with VA and NC drivers who think that they deserve the left lane 24/7, and I drive 10-15mph over on long trips (It saves hours on a normally 12+ hour trip), I constantly have to tap the brakes to cancel cruise because. It gets kinda tiresome.

-Joe

Press and hold coast till you drop to the new speed of traffic.

To everyone that's complaining about the lack of a cancel button: fear not, help is on the way.

waahmbulance-747602.jpg

Cruise cancel button:

how_brake_systems_work-brake_pedal.jpg

dumbasses.

A dedicated "cancel" button keeps you from having to tap the brakes....which lights up the brakes lights.....

GM is doing many things right these days.....but they still hang onto lame-brained culturally-stagnent ideals in product-planning.....continuing to convince themselves they are doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong.....

Finally, someone sees why I hate people tapping their brakes on the highway. Brake lights when they light up for no reason, such as canceling cruise control or trying to maintain speed downhill. That last one pisses me off a lot, because we do have some hills around here, one of which is heavily traveled and decently steep, all the time people ride their brakes going down, the reality is that if you coast from the speed limit at the top, at the bottom you pick up less than 5mph, in light traffic thats no biggie, in heavy traffic, brakes are even worse because there is always that idiot who will then slam on their brakes and the next thing you know one lane is backed up.

A dedicated "cancel" button keeps you from having to tap the brakes....which lights up the brakes lights.....

GM is doing many things right these days.....but they still hang onto lame-brained culturally-stagnent ideals in product-planning.....continuing to convince themselves they are doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong.....

Then press and hold the set button to slow down. If you really do need to slow down more than just coast, you'll be on the brakes anyway.

Hit the resume button to resume your speed.

Guest YellowJacket894

Uh, to cancel the cruise control on the corporate GM three-spoke, you just simply press the button that turns it on. Ya' know? The one with the little amber light?

Yeah.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal with tapping the brakes is. Just a quick depression of the pedal and BOOM! Cruise is off. Hit resume and you're back to cruising speed.

Why are you canceling cruise anyway? Most likely because traffic ahead is slower and you're having to brake. If you just need to slow your cruise setting down, hold coast until you reach the desired speed.

I don't use cruise much because I like to have full control at all times, but I completely understand the logic of having a cancel button. Brake lights alert cops and cause vehicles behind you to unnecessarily react. Turning the cruise off or using coast will necessitate you to reset to the proper speed when you want to engage it again. It's not a lot of work, but when others have this convenient feature, what justification is there not to have it?

Then press and hold the set button to slow down. If you really do need to slow down more than just coast, you'll be on the brakes anyway.

Hit the resume button to resume your speed.

Uh....because holding the "set" button....DOESN'T CANCEL THE CRUISE CONTROL...which is the whole purpose behind a proper "cancel" button. THEN, down the road, when traffic opens up again, my original speed setting is still active and all I have to do is hit "resume."

Lord why is it SO difficult for people to grasp this concept?

(Gawd....even my 1994....14 years old.....E320 has a "cancel" function on it's cruise control.)

Edited by The O.C.

Uh, to cancel the cruise control on the corporate GM three-spoke, you just simply press the button that turns it on. Ya' know? The one with the little amber light?

Yeah.

Gee....that works great for my 2007 CTS that DOESN'T have a "corporate three-spoke wheel." My GM luxury car has an old turn-signal-operated cruise control......

WTF?

Gee....that works great for my 2007 CTS that DOESN'T have a "corporate three-spoke wheel." My GM luxury car has an old turn-signal-operated cruise control......

WTF?

Since the subject of this thread is the Malibu LTZ, I suggest you trade your CTS for one of those if the cancel button is that big a deal.

*strangely the first CTSes did have their cruise on the wheel, then it was later removed.

Uh....because holding the "set" button....DOESN'T CANCEL THE CRUISE CONTROL...which is the whole purpose behind a proper "cancel" button. THEN, down the road, when traffic opens up again, my original speed setting is still active and all I have to do is hit "resume."

Lord why is it SO difficult for people to grasp this concept?

(Gawd....even my 1994....14 years old.....E320 has a "cancel" function on it's cruise control.)

because it has never in my life been an issue to not have a cancel button.