Honda Accord update called Outstanding

jrockb4

Although the sedan has some awkward detailing, outside, it does have very good and efficient powertrains, good handling, and IMO, the best midsize interior bar non. Plus the coupe fixes all of the faults of the sedan's exterior. It also means you get to choose from more than just 4-door body style...and you get a 6-speed manual available with the V6 coupe.

I thought the dash design of the previous Accord was great Best in class. But this new one is very awkward. It seems like different elements of it are unnecessarily creeping into the passenger space. I get uncomfortable just looking at pictures of it.

I thought the dash design of the previous Accord was great Best in class. But this new one is very awkward. It seems like different elements of it are unnecessarily creeping into the passenger space. I get uncomfortable just looking at pictures of it.

Does it strike fear into your heart and threaten to do horrible things to you in the night? :P

Dodgefan, you keep saying the Accord is midsize, but it changed classes in 2008. It's now classified as a large sedan and should be compared to the Maxima, Avalon, etc.

I know traditionally the Accord was a Camry fighter... just like the Maxima was in the 1990's. The Altima eventually filled that spot. The Accord has now grown up with the Maxima. The only thing that keeps the Accord in Camry's class is the available 4-cylinder. That, and the fact Honda no longer has a midsize car.

With the Fit in play, the Civic could grow up in its next gen to fill the spot, including its first V6... or maybe Honda could introduce another version of the European Accord (along with Acura's TSX) into the US and sell it underneath the US Accord?

Something to think about... How long does Honda think people will want a coupe version of a large sedan?

Size comparisons between the volume-brand large FWD cars:

Avalon:

Interior Volume: 106.9 cu. ft.

Overall length 197.6 in.

Overall width 72.8 in.

Wheelbase 111.0 in.

Curb Weight: 3610 lbs

Maxima:

Interior Volume: 103.6 cu. ft.

Length: 194.4 in.

Width: 71.7 in.

Wheel Base: 111.2 in

Curb Weight: 3,579 lbs

Accord V6:

Interior Volume: 106 cu. ft.

Length: 194.3 in

Width: 72.7 in.

Wheel Base: 110.2 in

Curb Weight: 3616 lbs

Impala:

Interior Volume: 104.5 cu. ft.

Length: 200.4 in

Width: 72.9 in.

Wheel Base: 110.5 in.

Curb Weight: 3711 lbs.

Taurus:

Interior Volume: 108 cu. ft.

Length: 201.8 in.

Width: 74.5 in.

Wheel Base: 112.9 in.

Curb Weight: 3643 lbs.

--------------------------------------

Camry V6:

Interior Volume: 101.4 cu. ft.

Length: 189.2 in.

Width: 71.7 in.

Wheel Base: 109.3

Curb Weight: 3516 lbs.

I. Hate. The. New. Honda. Interiors. Nuff Said?

I'll let it be said I hate digital gauges... no personality.

Posted Image

vs.

Posted Image

I love a combo of the two--like Cadillac's have. I'd love a digital readout inside the analog speedometer. But that's just me.

I. Hate. The. New. Honda. Interiors. Nuff Said?

I'll let it be said I hate digital gauges... no personality.

I can't stand the Civic sedan steering wheel. At least they put the 3-spoke on the Sedan Si.

The new Accord fairs favorably to the new Malibu, IMO.

Posted Image

The dash design would keep me out of considering the Accord. It looks like it wants to jump out and hurt you.

Exactly what part wants to jump out and hurt you? I went and sat in the new Accord and the interior is very nice. Reminds me of something you'd find in a luxury car.

Posted Image

Despite being universally praised as being the best handling, most fun to drive of the midsize sedans?

I thought that award went to the Mazda 6 or VW Passat? Even if those two drive equal to the Accord, they are more visually exciting.

I know I'm one of the few who likes the new Accord, but I must dispute the claim that its the best handling. I'd say things have changed with it growing in size. The Accord definitely has the best interior in its class, though, and I've now seen the Malibu's in person. I'd say there's no contest there unless you're blind and refusing to actually sit and compare. The Accord's interior feels more expensive than it really is.

I can't stand the Civic sedan steering wheel. At least they put the 3-spoke on the Sedan Si.

Only in the Coupe... there is the 4-spoke monstrosity in the sedan.

I went and sat in the new Accord and the interior is very nice. Reminds me of something you'd find in a luxury car.

Posted Image

Glad to hear, cause if I wanted an Accord interior that looked like that, I'd have to shell out over $30,000. That's near-lux territory.

I'll admit, the interior is growing on me, and I'm finding the exterior less offensive. Problem is, I find the base/near base trims to be boring and I want something a little classier like a trim with wood, some accent lighting, etc.

I did some pricing since I'm going for a new car soon, and it's just so expensive to own one. If I wanted an 4-cylinder EX (and I'd love a V6, but who the hell can afford it), I'm hitting $24,000.

I thought that award went to the Mazda 6 or VW Passat? Even if those two drive equal to the Accord, they are more visually exciting.

From what I hear, the Mazda6 and Passat are both tops when it comes to being fun to drive, but I have to say having driven I4 and V6 Accords (albeit not the 2008), they are definitely more fun to drive than any GM product in the "around midsize" game (I know it just jumped up a class).

Sigh... what to buy, what to buy? :scratchchin: LOL

Only in the Coupe... there is the 4-spoke monstrosity in the sedan.

The Civic Si Coupe and Sedan have the same 3-spoke steering wheel, which is the same as the base Civic coupe. The base Civic sedan is the one with the 2-spoke monstrosity. :AH-HA_wink:

Not sure why we're talking about the Civic though. :blink:

The Civic Si Coupe and Sedan have the same 3-spoke steering wheel, which is the same as the base Civic coupe. The base Civic sedan is the one with the 2-spoke monstrosity. :AH-HA_wink:

Not sure why we're talking about the Civic though. :blink:

Oh, you're right! We got on the topic of the Civic when we were talking about steering wheels.

Gotta say, I dislike this steering wheel as much as I hated the previous generation Impala's.

IIRC The Camry SE has been reviewed as the better handler now in atleast one publication.

... at the expense of ride quality. It might get better numbers on the test track, but the Accord has a better ride-and-handling compromise. The EX 4-cylinder I drove reminds me of a 5-series, in that it was firm and communicative but still very comfortable and composed. The SE-tuned Camry is on the jittery side, IMO, especially in the back.

A pet peeve I have with the Camry is the amount of steering kickback, while not providing any real steering feel.

Edited by empowah

Speaking of midsize fun-to-drive, the Fusion is underrated IMO. It drives a lot like the last-gen Passat - soft suspension tuning, but good steering and light on its feet. If anything it's even better, because the back end feels a lot more planted, not in the form of stiffness or damping, but in individual wheel control (?). Perhaps the rear multilink design allows a soft ride and control, avoiding the floatiness found on many twist beam (old Passat FWD) or strut (Camry) cars.

I'd assume the Fusion is pretty fun-to-drive. I test drove the Milan a while back, and it was very satisfying. Honestly, it might not have a best-in-class interior, but it offers nav, and in the upper trims it's nice enough for me. If I didn't get my 01 Aurora, I could have gone for a Milan if I had the money.

The Accord interior in two-tone tan w/ the wood looks quite nice, almost as nice as a TL. FWD family sedans aren't really my genre, but if I went mainstream suburbia the Accord would be fine for me as a daily driver commuter car..

Apparently, the writer of the article has never seen the Accord in person. I've never seen such a disjointed design in all my life. It's a little piece of this and a little piece of that. Load on the chrome trim and call it a Honda.

I don't know what idiot stepped on the middle of the dash, but it's bent downward. It makes the original CTS dash look good.

there was an accord review i read last week where the writer echoed what i felt about its interior....very cold and cheap and dated feeling.

i will say this. its a bit jekyl and hide with the new accord's interior. you gotta get the leather and correct color. there is a big difference as opposed to the dismal cloth and dark. Either way, the design is nothing to excite.

Fusion drives well, needs HP and more exciting interior. (yes, ford fans can be unbiased)

I wish Chevy had ponied up for better plastic on the inside of the Malibu because the design is nice.

I became re-interested in the Passat recently. Originally i was turned off by the new Passat and its expensive v6 config. But I sat in a nice base passat wagon recently that was well amenitied and i much prefer it as a wagon. Available stick as well.

The Malibu is still the best looking but there will be so many of them on the road, i think a passat wagon would be the most unique.

Oh how I wish the G8 had AWD. it would really be a no brainer for me then.

Exactly what part wants to jump out and hurt you? I went and sat in the new Accord and the interior is very nice. Reminds me of something you'd find in a luxury car.

Posted Image

What luxury car uses that much black plastic for the center console and stack?

I know I'm one of the few who likes the new Accord, but I must dispute the claim that its the best handling. I'd say things have changed with it growing in size. The Accord definitely has the best interior in its class, though, and I've now seen the Malibu's in person. I'd say there's no contest there unless you're blind and refusing to actually sit and compare. The Accord's interior feels more expensive than it really is.

The Accord interior is functional and high quality, but to get style you need to move up the price ladder. With Malibu you get quality that is acceptable, but marginal compared to Accord, however style makes up for it. The standard gray interior in the Malibu is really the only one low on style....and the Malibu has nice touches like the ambient lighting at nightime, and two tone color scheme that works really well in person. The Malibu is just surprising in that the LTZ model is ~24k and the interior/exterior is really wonderful...you get a lot of value and style for not too much, something that couldn't be said before.

Not even close...

Posted Image

Ahh my eyes. Those radio/nav controls are hideous.

The Accord uses black plastic for the lower area of the center stack and the center console. The STS uses black plastic for the nav/radio controls. The black plastic in the Accord doesn't stand out like a sore-thumb as it does in the STS.

and TL.... oopps.. same car.

Posted Image

The Accord interior is functional and high quality, but to get style you need to move up the price ladder. With Malibu you get quality that is acceptable, but marginal compared to Accord, however style makes up for it. The standard gray interior in the Malibu is really the only one low on style....and the Malibu has nice touches like the ambient lighting at nightime, and two tone color scheme that works really well in person. The Malibu is just surprising in that the LTZ model is ~24k and the interior/exterior is really wonderful...you get a lot of value and style for not too much, something that couldn't be said before.

The wood trim in the Accord is an option on all trim levels. Not quite sure what level the tan interior becomes available, because it isn't shown on the website.

ah yes... because round knobs and rectangle buttons are hideous..... :rolleyes:

the TL shows great integration of the black plastic, as if they meant for everything to be there. the knobs/controls on the STS also have no design flare whatsoever. No comparison at all there. you in a roundabout way proved siegen's point.

The new Accord fairs favorably to the new Malibu, IMO.

Posted Image

This is a colour combo I wish was available on more GM interiors. (No wood with the cream leather and cream/black dash).

Speaking of interiors. I think this wins hands down. :AH-HA_wink:

When the wounds heal and the doctor takes out those ugly stitches, it might look OK, just OK.

Wait ...... Is that a BLACK PLASTIC radio surround I see? And little circular knobs, OH MY!

Edited by RichW5

When the wounds heal and the doctor takes out those ugly stitches, it might look OK, just OK.

Wait ...... Is that a BLACK PLASTIC radio surround I see? And little circular knobs, OH MY!

I think the design of the hand-stitched leather seats is top-notch. I suppose if you're someone who's used to cloth, it might look a bit odd. It's ok, they looked odd to me too at first, but they grew on me. The birchwood trim is a nice alternative to the normal wood texture, and lightens up the interior.

It appears to be a carbon fiber insert. The only black plastic being in a few strips around the buttons.

But you're right, Acura should have made the whole thing carbon fiber and the buttons themselves out of marble. This is cost-cutting at its worst!

Not as visually appealing though. At least not to me. I'd rather have an interior that looked better than felt better any day.

At least compare it to a current STS interior pic:

Posted Image

I don't see any black plastic on the center console... but I do see real wood. Brushed metal brightens the stack up some also. :AH-HA_wink:

Sorry... Accord has more black plastic (and hard plastic in general.)

At least compare it to a current STS interior pic:

I don't see any black plastic on the center console... but I do see real wood. Brushed metal brightens the stack up some also. :AH-HA_wink:

Sorry... Accord has more black plastic (and hard plastic in general.)

There's a big price difference between the two, so I'm not sure the point of these apples vs. oranges arguments...the Accord and STS are in two different market segments.

Edited by moltar