Honda Accord update called Outstanding

jrockb4

You are comparing an accord to an upper level cadillac. That says a lot about the accord.

No, I didn't. Siegen compared the Accord interior to a luxury car... and then compared the Accord's interior to the STS.

I don't think that's a compliment to either car actually. :P :rotflmao:

To this day, I don't understand what's wrong with black plastic. Cheap plastic, misplaced plastic, and Walmart-special colored plastic.. by all means, are much worse.

Besides, how many vehicles don't have it without still looking cheap? Certainly not the Malibu with its spray painted radio.

Edited by blackviper8891

I don't see any black plastic on the center console.

Instead you get a hideous radio/nav control.

actually the Honda humper did that as a slight against the STS.

Why you got to be throwing names around like that?

No, I didn't. Siegen compared the Accord interior to a luxury car... and then compared the Accord's interior to the STS.

I don't think that's a compliment to either car actually. :P :rotflmao:

To set the record straight, I said "Reminds me of something you'd find in a luxury car" in regards to the Accord interior as a whole, because it is very nice. Then somebody decided to comment on the black plastic in the center console and say what luxury car has that? The STS happened to be the first I looked to. No it doesn't have black plastic center console, but rather black plastic surrounded radio/nav controls which is far worse as you are interacting with that area far more often and it is in view more often. I didn't even look at any other lux cars yet to see what kind of plastic they use. Frankly, I don't think it's a big deal that the Accord uses black plastic in the center console area, as long as it is done well enough.

in reality a direct comparison between the uplevel Accord and STS would find a more solid feel to most of the materials in the Accord, along with an overall better finish, and a better resolved interior design. The STS just feels unfinished, in major part due to that unimaginative center stack. when a car that costs 20k less can say it has a more visually arresting design, that's saying something. of course the STS comparison was a bad one, the STS is a lameduck luxury car with a lameduck interior. it's mostly only good for comfort.

in reality a direct comparison between the uplevel Accord and STS would find a more solid feel to most of the materials in the Accord, along with an overall better finish, and a better resolved interior design. The STS just feels unfinished, in major part due to that unimaginative center stack. when a car that costs 20k less can say it has a more visually arresting design, that's saying something. of course the STS comparison was a bad one, the STS is a lameduck luxury car with a lameduck interior. it's mostly only good for comfort.

The STS Platinum interior is actually pretty nice. The design isn't all that great, but the fact that everything is covered in leather makes up for that.

The STS Platinum interior is actually pretty nice. The design isn't all that special, but the fact that everything is covered in leather makes up for that.

And there's the rub. There really isn't anything wrong with the STS's interior.... it is just conservative and doesn't "Wow". I've never felt the BMW interiors were "Wow". Both are just simple and handsome but nothing special. The main difference between the two is the BMW replaces all the small buttons with one big one.

People want the STS to be a 2008 Duesenburg for 60 easy payments of $299.99 with no money down and that is just not realistic.

And there's the rub. There really isn't anything wrong with the STS's interior.... it is just conservative and doesn't "Wow". I've never felt the BMW interiors were "Wow". Both are just simple and handsome but nothing special. The main difference between the two is the BMW replaces all the small buttons with one big one.

People want the STS to be a 2008 Duesenburg for 60 easy payments of $299.99 with no money down and that is just not realistic.

I don't have a problem with the STS interior, it is simple and functional. But the nav, radio, and hvac controls simply don't belong in a car this expensive. Yes, they're functional. However they are downright ugly, unstyled, and stand out horrendously in an otherwise pleasing interior.

Posted Image

You are right that the BMW interiors aren't that wow either; and while the controls may also be black plastic, they at least fit with the design. For example this 528i interior:

Posted Image

The controls fit with the overall design (a lot due to the colors), which is sporty and luxurious. The controls in the STS, which should portray an image of complete luxury and style (I'm thinking wood panel with well styled [chrome accent or something] and positioned buttons and good use of white/empty space), instead portray an image of a Chevrolet Aveo.

Edited by siegen

GAaah! My eyes! All those button and knobs! :AH-HA_wink:

In this price class the Audi A6 gets my vote for most attractive:

Posted Image

then again, I've always wanted to be at the helm of the Enterprise.

Audi chose an interesting approach to the nav/radio controls, putting them on the center console aft of the shifter. Certainly comfortable to use after you learn the controls, but having to look down at which buttons to push seems dangerous while driving. I think the A6 interior looks too cluttered; probably due to the way the center stack angles inward and seems to cut the passenger's side of the dash off. The A6 interior doesn't flow well to me.

To this day, I don't understand what's wrong with black plastic. Cheap plastic, misplaced plastic, and Walmart-special colored plastic.. by all means, are much worse.

Besides, how many vehicles don't have it without still looking cheap? Certainly not the Malibu with its spray painted radio.

LOL, the man has a point here......hehe.