Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cadillac confirmed for Australia in 2008

A Northstar is 506 pounds, the M3 V8 is 445 pounds, and I found the 5.7 liter LS1 from the Vette was 458 pounds. The Northstar is heavy, and long as well.

I found out that northstar with all accesories weight around 470 pounds(not bad for such an old engine), new ls3 weight around 420 lb..ls7 with 505 hp 457 lb.. Ls3 is more powerfull and lighter then m3 engine.Also if you want to look even better ..AMG 6.3l V8 weights around same as m3 engine and has 100 hp more. I think cadillac should develop something like that engine from AMG. V8 with capabillity of 6.0 l or slightly more if needed and around 600 hp with forced induction (5.5 l and 600 HP shouldn't be a problem) .

They should spend money on v12 when they'll have car to put v12 in (and by car i don't mean escalade). And if i'm not mistaking v12 in cien was developed with help from Cosworth. Maybe they could use cosworth once again.Not just for v12. V8 from cosworth would be good marketing tool here in Europe.

And yes..V10 is heavier then all this engines..530 lb is smallest weight which i could find..somewhere is stated even 550 lb.

Edited by dado

$80k is Australian dollars

They need a V12, but I don't see why they can't develop that here, Cadillac should develop the V12, not Holden. 7.2 liter it too big I think, they should go in the 5.5 to 6.0 liter range. They could make a ton of power with that. And hopefully the car it goes in isn't bigger than a DTS and no fun to drive.

AMG uses an 7.3L V12, nobody's complaining. No displacement is too large, per se. Unless you're a ricer.

Edited by ToniCipriani

AMG uses an 7.3L V12, nobody's complaining. No displacement is too large, per se. Unless you're a ricer.

The S65 AMG is a 6.0 liter V12 (604 hp, 738 lb-ft). The S600 has a 5.5 liter V12 (510 hp, 612 lb-ft). Both are turbo and make peak horsepower at 4800-5000 rpm and peak torque near 2000 rpm, there is plenty of low end grunt with both. They can also fit those engines in the SL roadster, one car that could use a V12 is the XLR. But will a 7.2 liter engine fit in that engine bay?

AMG's biggest engine is actually a 6.3 liter V8.

maybe he meant on engine in pagani zonda which is developed and produce by mercedes AMG and have 7.2 l displacement. V12 in cien was small (according to rumors) but this new v12 will be according to rumors based on GM v6 DI design.

Edited by dado

Northstar @ 470 is not bad at all for a DOHC V-8 - is the BMW weight with all accessories included? I wonder.

25 lb difference vs. bmw V-8?? Pffft- that's nothing.

Of course the LS3 & LS7 are light: no OHC valetrain weight.

This is really immaterial except to engineers- no one ('cept our pal here) compares engine weights when car shopping. The info is not even readily available to the consumer, because it does not matter.

>>"The S65 AMG is a 6.0 liter V12 (604 hp, 738 lb-ft). "<<

You've got to understand something here. No buyer who likes the --say-- bmw 7-series is going to jump ship to M-B just because their HP-TRQ figures are higher- in these land yachts- speed is not a primary consideration (tho bragging rights may be).

BTW- the 604 HP / 738 TRQ AMG is highly suspect- the S with that motor does not come close to matching the performance stats it should with anything close to those numbers. On the way to 800 TRQ should be much quicker.

I'm not adverse to Cadillac developing a V-12, but like dado says- there needs to be an appropriate car to put it in. 'ULS" or gen2 XLR or Eldo-level coupe. Escalade usage is fine, but there needs to ALSO be this new car to put it in. The XV-12 (?) from the Cien is very intriquing- a V-12 in nearly the same space as a V-8 is a major step forward.

I'm just curios and would like to now is this new v12 (if there is actually any v12) completely new v12 or is it based on v12 from cien. I mean GM had good engine (based on all the info) in cien V12 . Why throw it away? Maybe too expensive? That couldn't be it because v12 would go in top cadillac model and top cadillac model should have best cadillac engines.

I just hope new V8 dohc will be on top(or at least near the top)

Edited by dado

My point about how big the engine is, is that it has to fit in a car like the XLR, and one near the size of the STS. If the engine is long and heavy they are limited to 205 inch long, 5000 pound sedans to put it in. And they will probably have to attach a hybrid system to every V12 with current gas prices and coming gas mileage regulations.

I don't get what part of the S65's performance stats seem off. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is pretty good for over 5,000 pounds of car. That is Corvette territory for 0-60 and the Vette has a ton less weight to pull.

My point about how big the engine is, is that it has to fit in a car like the XLR, and one near the size of the STS. If the engine is long and heavy they are limited to 205 inch long, 5000 pound sedans to put it in. And they will probably have to attach a hybrid system to every V12 with current gas prices and coming gas mileage regulations.

I don't get what part of the S65's performance stats seem off. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is pretty good for over 5,000 pounds of car. That is Corvette territory for 0-60 and the Vette has a ton less weight to pull.

You do know that displacement is only an internal measurement, and does not translate exactly to the external dimensions of the engine, right?

You also know that the 7.0L V8 in the Z06 is smaller externally than the 4.6L Northstar despite having 2.4L more of displacement, correct?

Also, turbos and superchargers help gas mileage, until the engine goes into boost.

Again, the Cien's engine fit in the same spaces as a Northstar, had Active Fuel Management, Direct injection and auto-stop, while still providing 750hp when you wanted it. If it will fit where the Northstar does, why not put it in some Cadillac super cars?

Again, the Cien's engine fit in the same spaces as a Northstar, had Active Fuel Management, Direct injection and auto-stop, while still providing 750hp when you wanted it. If it will fit where the Northstar does, why not put it in some Cadillac super cars?

Yes but the question is : Is this new v12 which is supposedly being develope by Holden same v12 we saw long ago in Cien or is completly new engine? Maybe this new v12 is much bigger then northstar.

Edited by dado

>>"My point about how big the engine is, is that it has to fit in a car like the XLR, and one near the size of the STS. If the engine is long and heavy they are limited to 205 inch long, 5000 pound sedans to put it in. "<<

If Cadillac goes with the XV-12, it would fit in the current CTS.

I agree, build it. They had it in concept form in 2002, it is almost 2008, and they still haven't built it. As long as it can fit in a few cars and doesn't get 11 mpg, they should be looking to get it on the market. But I suppose a BTS, a real 5-series/E-class/Jag XF competitor and an S-class/LS competitor are needed first.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook