Chrysler: Charger, 300, Magnum, Grand Cherokee,

Ford: new Focus, Mustang, F150, Edge, Escape,

Mazda: Mazdaspeed 6, RX8, CX-7.

If the Big Three died somehow...

Hyundai: Tiburon

Nissan: Altima Coupe, 350Z, Murano

Scion: tC

Edited by NOS2006

Perhaps a Mustang, used M3, RX-8 (would have to see how the rotary engine is first, though -- not sure I could go from the LS1 to the tiny rotary), I'd probably consider a WRX/EVO (perhaps used), 350Z (used), G35 (used), and perhaps a used Challenger, though I really don't care for its looks. Basically anything that's sporty and under $30k or so.

If GM went bankrupt and closed forever, I'd personally buy GM used vehicles while I'm sure the wife would be just as happy driving a new Volvo or some other foreign-branded vehicle. If I had to choose new, I'd go with a Ford F150 or Dodge Ram 1500 over any of the foreign trucks.

I think the point of the thread was if GM never existed in the first place.

Ford.... well, Mercury specifically.

If GM hadn't existed:

1. Horsepower race wouldn't have been nearly as large.

2. We would be 10-20 years behind in automatic transmission technology.

3. 10 years behind in FWD technology

4. 15 years behind in airbag technology

5. We'd say that "_______ is the Duesenburg/Lincoln/Imperial of ________'s" and it just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as Cadillac.

6. 50% of South Florida would have no idea what to drive.

7. There'd be no Ralph Nader... <maybe this one is kinda good>

8. The Model-T would have continued production till 1947 when Old Man Ford finally kicked the bucket.

9. BMW M5 owners would have to crank start their V10s.

10. Auburn/Duesenburg/Cord, Studabaker, Packard, Hudson, Nash, Edsel, Imperial, and Chrysler would still be around today.

Had GM never existed we might still have Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Chevrolet and Buick. The history would be entirely different, but all of those brands existed without GM.

So, who knows?

The automotive landscape would be so different we'd hardly recognize it. Most likely, another grouping of brands would have happened in a fashion similar to the formation of GM and we would all be fans of that grouping.

I didn't know that was an option...

Count me in... I might be in that boat soon anyway.

*raises eyebrow*

Oh?

Replacing the Ford I saw ... or?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Come pick me up" ... Ben Folds ... 'Landed'

post-176-1196920108_thumb.jpg

*raises eyebrow*

Oh?

Replacing the Ford I saw ... or?

"Come pick me up" ... Ben Folds ... 'Landed'

Nah, I was actually refering to the impending CAFE :bs:

If it gets too wild, then I'll just drive retro as opposed to driving micro-liberal.

Honestly, I have been thinking long and hard about replacing the Focus though. I found an SVT Focus here the other day that I could probably get pretty easy. But I really want a pony car of some sort and previous gen 'stangs are more affordable and more fitting (It's almost physically impossible for me to get in/out of an F4 Trans Am or Camaro) I've found a couple of nice, well used Mustangs in my range.

The real dilemma though: 1) Should I just go ahead and go further in debt for a used, yet nicer car now. Especially given that I am a V8 man and the future of the V8 might be in danger with rising pump prices and idiot legislators. -or- 2) Should I pay off the Focus (I only have about a year left) and hedge my bet on a new GM Zeta when I graduate? The problem with that is; I'm not sure if I will like anything GM has on Zeta. The current G8 is out of the question, I don't hold much hope for the GXP version being much better and the Camaro, although nice, seems to already be slipping a bit in my taste department.

Sorry for the :hijacked:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

If GM never existed, I'd be buying Buicks because without GM there to merge all those companies together, Buick would still be operating out of Flint.

Chevrolet probably would never have existed because without GM, there was nothing to drive Durant to start the company in the first place.

Edited by AxelTheRed

Nah, I was actually refering to the impending CAFE :bs:

Ah...oops....sorry for misunderstanding ya!

And, your "car decisions" seem a bit like mine ... not sure what to get or do.....

*sighs*

"I see our time has gotten stale" ... Eve 6 ... 'Inside Out'