The HyundaiLexusW Genesis

avant1963

From what I read when they revealed the logo the other day, this is a Korea only thing. The one we get will most likely wear the same old deformed 'H'.

I read that too, which is ashame, because a Chrysler/Bentley knockoff is a damn sight more pleasant to look at than the crummy H which adorned Exels of yore.

Yuk. Just Yuk. Now that is just plain sucks. It's a copy no matter where you look. Even worse than Chinese makes who were criticized for copying others all these years. Haven't they learned from the loss they had due to Chinese copying their previous models? Following THEIR trend? and claiming it as their best? :thumbsdown: There isn't ONE bit of Originality. Why can't they just release the concept version which was LESS Derivative. They ruined it so much that it isn't even funny now. This will be a tough sell especially in US. The designers have just went Vanilla and screwed up big from the concept version. I feel ashamed that I am Korean just by looking at this. That much, which is saying a lot.

Now I'm not even sure if they can even export it to US without suffering some lawsuits here and there. They will be lucky to even score a sell of just 1 unit.

To me, even this one looks better:

ssangyong_rodius1.jpg

At least it isn't that much derivative, but then, it was created partly by Mercedes so....

Now I know what they are going to do with their coupe version. Hiring the same losers who ruined the sedan, discard ALL things that were on the concept, and put in all kinds of other brands designs in there like they did here. Stealing a design is only OK to some extent, not this much. The Shame.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

btw, I heard that this will be the US-version(without the Genesis Logo), the same car but.

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/dat...=&Answer=61

Everything is in Korean, but I can tell you that more than 70% of the comments posted in Korean are all negative. More than half of those negative comments states that they prefer the Concepts look which is the same opinion that I have. They are saying all kinds of thing like, it is just a junk ready to be wrecked, nothing more than a Chinese clone that is just big, design that goes backward, was looking to buy but changed their minds, and so and so. To me, if Hyundai really want to make money by selling this thing in the US, they really need to change pretty much... EVERYTHING.

Sorry Hyundai, but to me, this new, 'so-called' luxury sedan according to you is just a shamefull knock-off that could have been better NEVER to be designed in the first place. No-one will buy, so save yourself from embarassment by not being able to sell any here, just scrape it and don't export it, unless you are going to revise it.

oh, and sorry about the double post.

To me, I think they are better off not exporting it to the US. I mean, save themselves from embarassment, since I highly doubt that anyone will buy it. Unless they can come out with their own design to be proud of and change it before they bring it here.

I just can't help but feel ashamed that my native country followed what Chinese car companies have been doing and causing all kinds of lawsuits and all.

I highly doubt that anyone will consider this as 'LUXURY' as Hyundai wants to label it. Comming out from Hyundai?, in US? They will probably see it as an 'OVER-PRICED, OVER-HYPED, LUXURY KNOCK-OFF'. Part of the reason I believe it's better for them to keep it as Korea only, not for the export.

The concept was so much better...amazing how front and rear fascia tweaks make it look so much worse. The more I see it the less I like it.

They'd be better off keeping the Chrysler/Bentley badge on it...That cheesy H screams cheap. Hyundai will never break out of that barrier of being cheap with a logo like that...time for a new one...and you know, less derivative cars.

Well, as is, the car won't sell. They will certainly learn it the hard way. They seriously need to develep their own thing or they will fall forever into the abyss.

I hope they learn their lesson since I am pretty sure NO-ONE will buy it when they bring it here un-touched.

If they can't design stuff on their own, at least give the designing work to the company like Proto Motors whom I don't think that there is any new model on works. Sure, the Spirra of theirs may took some cues from NSX(well, it seems like), but it DOES have some uniqueness to it, and they are experienced in designing few of the models for Hyundai and Kia in the past, and I am sure they will do MUCH better job the the trash they came out with. Since they are also based in Korea, the cost will be lot less than giving the work to Europe or anywhere else.

Well, that's what I think. The car as is, have serious problem in design. No-one will want to buy and spending that kind of money on this junk.

Yup... very unoriginal.

Makes sense really... <_<

Hyundai is where Datsun & Toyota were in the 1970s... and back then

the most original design they had was the Toyota 2000GT and the

Datsun 240Z, both borrowing 90% of their styling from the Corvette &

Jaguar E-type!

Sad to see how much Lexus is in the headlights. :blink:

It's still nice to see more RWD. Down with FWD, RWD to the people!!!

Well, they could have done a better job. I think, if they kept their concept's grill, kept the tail-lights, and the bumper, the car would have looked FAR less derivative. What a pity. This is one car that Hyundai will NEVER succeed with. I hope they learn their lesson when this model fails miserably. They deserve it by copying others and claiming it as their own. The shame, they been improving steadily, and all of a sudden, BOOM. With a bad model, they ruined it all.

It'll sell as long as it undercuts cars from established luxury brands in price (and I'm sure it will).

I, for one, give Hyundai credit for getting rear-drive into their lineup before any other mainstream Asian marque and 2/3 of the big three. Styling is derivative, but to say it's anywhere near as bad as what the Chinese are doing is an exaggeration.

It'll sell as long as it undercuts cars from established luxury brands in price (and I'm sure it will).

I, for one, give Hyundai credit for getting rear-drive into their lineup before any other mainstream Asian marque and 2/3 of the big three. Styling is derivative, but to say it's anywhere near as bad as what the Chinese are doing is an exaggeration.

Yeah probably it will for the first year or so, just like the Grandeur XG or just XG did for the first year, before ending in fleets.

Yeah probably it will for the first year or so, just like the Grandeur XG or just XG did for the first year, before ending in fleets.

I agree, no-one in their right mind will spend 29K for the V6, and no-one will try to spend 40K to max out the V8 for a Hyundai. If they really want to sell at least 1 unit, they shoud change the design, kill the Hyundai logo, put that Genesis tag on it, and sell it as another brand like Toyota did with Lexus. Even if they do that, no-one will buy it. It's just too early for a Hyundai to get in that market yet. esp. with the blantent copy knock-off like this. I can't believe I am chewing down my own country's product, but I have no choice, they forced me to do it by screwing up one of their most anticipated product.

If they kept at least 1 thing as their concept was, it wouldn't have looked this awful. I just now hope they don't hire the same losers who screwed up this sedan when working on their coupe version of this. Chances are, they will go VANILA again and ruin it just as they did here. It seems like they want to self destruct themselves to disappear in the automotive world, which is highly likely since I don't think these blatent knock-offs will sell any. Well, maybe a few percentage of Korean Americans who feels patriotic to buy the products that was made in their native country, but I know, even that will be a very small number, for I know most Koreans will buy either Toyota or Honda since they have turned their back on Hyundai's and Kia's long ago.

It's easy to lose customers, but it's 10 times harder to gain them back and/or to gain NEW customers. They should know by now, but it seems like they still haven't learned how strict, picky, and hard to please American car buyers are these days. They won't fork over 40K for an upstart Korean car that they already stamped as an 'easily breakable, cheap appliance cars, and nothing more'. Just because it has big engine, RWD, Nav with backup camera and all those goodies, it won't make big an impact that they are looking for. At least not yet.

Is it remotely possible Hyundai is considering a new division called Genesis? It could still be sold through Hyundai stores... Hyundai/Genesis dealerships that meet a certain criteria...

But please tell me this car will not be sold as a Hyundai Genesis?

This is an old clip, that I just found. It is the coverred up version, but I am just posting it for the heck of it.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120058

Also, the slideshow of unveiling the car in Korea I found on the net:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/12...o-release.html

Another photo:

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthrea...t=14287&page=5

V6 engine pic:

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=14287&page=6

The very last post. It's well...... YAAAAAAWN.

and some more pic:

http://www.kia-world.net/forum/showthread....id=1427#pid1427

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=14287&page=7

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=...&id=3544217 (Got a lot here)

Boy, I hate the car the more I look at it. I am sure it will be Hyundai's biggest failure and mistake ever

Some of the links that I post last night didn't work, but the site isn't let me edit saying something about server error, so I am trying to repost the link with the right one using copy and paste of the post I wrote last night. Hoping it works.

----

This is an old clip, that I just found. It is the coverred up version, but I am just posting it for the heck of it.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=120058

Also, the slideshow of unveiling the car in Korea I found on the net:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/12/2009-...eo-release.html

Another photo:

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=14287&page=5

• 3 weeks later...

This is a Korean site I just found, a blog rather, that lists some, if not all dimensions of the 3.3Liter Korean version of the Genesis. It does not have any interior dimensin, everything is in Korean, and the metric system is in millimeters, but here is the trasnlation I have listed for you so you can see them, I am not good in metric, so I am not sure what do they equal to inches, so do the math if you want.

http://blog.naver.com/ehddka12?Redirect=Lo...No=140046102202

Length X Width X Height: Wheelbase:

Weight Dist: Weight: Not listed

Drivetrain: Minimum Turning Circle: Not listed

Engine Type: Fuel Capacity:

Max HP: 290(3.3) Max Torque:

Fuel Tank: Gasoline Category: Large Car

Engine Type: Fuel Capacity:

Max HP: 290 Max Torque:

Miles Per Gallen(Liter here):

I just put the translations only, the numbers you can see by clicking on the link and scroll down until you see a little box that is written in Korean.

the sad thing is to have any appeal whatsoever to a luxury buyer today, they must feel like the car they are purchasing has a distinct name and appeal, a brand that stands for something. what is this car?

What is it...?

A $30-$35K RWD, V8 powered sedan. I'd say that has "hit" written all over it....no matter what the badge says. Notice they stayed with "Hyundai" instead of creating their own upscale brand.

Remember.....this price range is loaded LaCrosse/Taurus territory. Next to those two cars, the idea of the Genesis sounds mighty nice to me.....and it will have an interior to beat the Buick and Ford on top of it all....

The grille reminds me of a ribcage... very organic. I love the fact Hyundai, of all makes, brings out an affordable RWD sedan, while more mainstream nameplates limp along with warmed-over, FWD snoozemobiles... Hyundai names the G8 and 300 among their competitors. How did GM get so far out of the loop to let HYUNDAI beat them to market with something like this? Pathetic on GM's part.

There should be a badge on the front.

I like the lack of a front end badge...when was the last time an automaker dared to leave off a front badge?

In profile, though, the styling is pretty derivative..reminicient of BMW and '08 Accord greenhouse and door shape..

Edited by moltar

The grille reminds me of a ribcage... very organic. I love the fact Hyundai, of all makes, brings out an affordable RWD sedan, while more mainstream nameplates limp along with warmed-over, FWD snoozemobiles... Hyundai names the G8 and 300 among their competitors. How did GM get so far out of the loop to let HYUNDAI beat them to market with something like this? Pathetic on GM's part.

i have to admit, i do like these photos a lot more than any of the previous ones.

point is, i agree. we have a 5 series hyundai with a 380hp dohc motor, like its nothing. and GM's northstar caddies and pontiacs don't seem to be as ......ambitious.

I think this could be a paradigm changer. it takes its biggest shot at lexus, infiniti and BMW actually and to a lesser extent a car like this probably renders buick as silly and useless, if its good in the flesh. UNLESS THEY BRING THE CHINESE PARK AVENUE ZETA HERE.