NEW 2009 CTS-V!!!!

HUMVEE

Lexus has been down on performance and styling. Isn't that 2 of the most important factors in luxury cars? But since they have hybrids everything is ok?

Cadillac focused their effort on areas they feel are more important. Reviews are saying about the 3 series, that while the interior is nice, it is no Cadillac, referring to the CTS. I agree with some things you say, like Cadillac needing a non-V series 350+hp V8 option, but alot of the rest is pure BS. The current Cadillac is a new company also. There's pre-CTS, and post-CTS. The way I see it, Cadillac in it's current form, is only about 6 years old. Cadillac went from being compared to Lincolns, to being a serious threat to BMW/Mercedes/Lexus in 6 years. Give them credit where credit is due.

Lexus has bland styling and some vehicles lack performance, especially handing, but they have been the #1 selling luxury brand in the USA for 7 years in a row, and are the fastest growing in Europe. They don't build my style of car, but they are doing something right with their image to get so many people to buy them.

Cadillac became a land barge competing with the Town Car by their own doing. They could have changed to be like BMW and Mercedes long ago, but they didn't build what the market was shifting too, they built what the market was. At least they are finally changing.

The CTS has a good interior for an entry level car, (though the layout and seats could be better) but the CTS is being pushed as Cadillac's flagship car right now. The real problem is the upper end, there is nothing there. The XLR's interior is worse than the CTS's and the XLR doesn't have the performance and $80,000 car should have. Cadillac isn't a legit threat to BMW or Mercedes (especially globally) yet. I hope they will be, but they have a really long way to go.

Lexus can gamble on a $170,000 Ferrari fighter because Toyota has money to burn. They might only sell 500 LF-A a year but I bet they put it in their ads and brag about its performance and build their image more. It is similar to what the Prius did for Toyota. A money loser that didn't sell in big numbers at first, but it gave Toyota an image stronger than any amount of advertising could produce. That is the difference between GM and Toyota, GM has to play it safe, limit spending, and Toyota can outspend any one and build a $120,000 hybrid sedan or $170,000 sports car on a gamble.

Lexus has bland styling and some vehicles lack performance, especially handing, but they have been the #1 selling luxury brand in the USA for 7 years in a row, and are the fastest growing in Europe. They don't build my style of car, but they are doing something right with their image to get so many people to buy them.

Cadillac became a land barge competing with the Town Car by their own doing. They could have changed to be like BMW and Mercedes long ago, but they didn't build what the market was shifting too, they built what the market was. At least they are finally changing.

The CTS has a good interior for an entry level car, (though the layout and seats could be better) but the CTS is being pushed as Cadillac's flagship car right now. The real problem is the upper end, there is nothing there. The XLR's interior is worse than the CTS's and the XLR doesn't have the performance and $80,000 car should have. Cadillac isn't a legit threat to BMW or Mercedes (especially globally) yet. I hope they will be, but they have a really long way to go.

Lexus is the fastest growing luxury car company in Europe right now because a few years ago they had zilch. Even Cadillac has been there longer than Lexus.

When you start with 0 vehicles and then sell 1,000 the percentages look great.

And I don't understand... do you want Cadillac to be more like Lexus or more like BMW.... because they're fairly mutually exclusive......

Myself, I want Cadillac to be Cadillac.

Lexus can gamble on a $170,000 Ferrari fighter because Toyota has money to burn. They might only sell 500 LF-A a year but I bet they put it in their ads and brag about its performance and build their image more. It is similar to what the Prius did for Toyota. A money loser that didn't sell in big numbers at first, but it gave Toyota an image stronger than any amount of advertising could produce. That is the difference between GM and Toyota, GM has to play it safe, limit spending, and Toyota can outspend any one and build a $120,000 hybrid sedan or $170,000 sports car on a gamble.

Volt.... FTW.

i agree with one statement here... gm does have to play it safe... because when a company is pulling itself out of the red zone hoping to get back into profits, gambles have to be small and concise. toyota has money to burn, but give anyone enough rope and they will hang themselves with it. i think they are up to 4 loops in the noose right now.

Toy is walking on tight ropes. On one side concentrating on making itself green, building vehicles like this or the Turd platform is making them gas hogs, some greenies are realizing that (Finally!!).

Their main agenda is to sell by numbers. And they are doing it regardless of whether they are selling green, blue, yellow or red. I think they will be a very frustrated bunch if they do not gain # 1 this year they are seeking for.

I honestly do not think GM needs a supercar in that territory. The Z06, ZR1 are more than capable of handling those snob mobiles, provided they are constantly upgraded.

Lexus is the fastest growing luxury car company in Europe right now because a few years ago they had zilch. Even Cadillac has been there longer than Lexus.

When you start with 0 vehicles and then sell 1,000 the percentages look great.

And I don't understand... do you want Cadillac to be more like Lexus or more like BMW.... because they're fairly mutually exclusive......

Myself, I want Cadillac to be Cadillac.

The problem is what is Cadillac? Are they a luxury performance brand that is a world leader in technology, and styling, or are they a brand that sells big sedans like the DTS and a rebadged Tahoe. I want them to be the luxury performance brand, that has great styling and technology. But the STS, DTS, XLR, and BLS in Europe all fail at that mission. I want them to be American and I like the styling theme, but I'd like to see them closer to BMW in performance.

Lexus sold 56,000 units in Europe in 2007, which is way more than Cadillac and Lexus just started there. Lexus plans to grow to 150,000 per year there. Cadillac is nearly non-existent in Europe because the cars are too big and suck gas, and the interior materials aren't good enough.

Basically, the BTS needs an interior better than the 08 CTS and similar outside look, but smaller. CTS ($47,000 base) needs an interior like the Jaguar XF, more expensive grille, removal of gray plastic on the outside, and better proportions in the rear, the STS should come back as a $65-80,000 CLS type car, and a ULS/XTS (with V12 option) that can go head on with the S-class.

Cadillac also needs diesel power, maybe with a hybrid, so they have some 35+ mpg cars.

Edited by smk4565

Why not save yourself a whole lot of headache and buy a BMW already? There are FAR too many issues -real & mostly perceived- for you to ever enjoy a Cadillac, so the incessant wailing about the marque is pointless to say the least- it will never match your demands... hell; no single brand does or can.

Case in point: BMW can use much better interiors in design, ergonomics & materials, much better and much fresher exterior design (40 years with the same exact front end- c'mon!), more interior room, and shed the downmarket cars that can only have 1 effect- to dilute the brand's image. And where in the blues blazes is the CS concept car- that should have already replaced the stodgy & stale 7-series as the flagship. Is there a U.S.-market BMW diesel or hybrid yet ??- they are losing valuable time to Lexus on the latter & mercedes on the former- they 'do not compete'. Instead they are working on cannabalizing mini sales with a 1-series.... and isn't a minivan in the works, too? I-Drive is a flop that is overdue to be dropped.

"I really want to see BMW succeed, but they have a LOT of ground to make up."

Yeah.

I don't like BMW styling inside or out very much. iDrive is dumb, but their cars steer/drive/handle better than any other sedan. BMW has diesel and hybrid coming summer/fall of 2008. The CS concept will inspire the 5, 6, and 7 series all of which are 2009 or 2010 models.

I like the CTS exterior, but the old one had a better interior layout with the angled console, it just had junky materials. My knee hits the center console in the new CTS, and there are a few interior gripes I have about it.

I have only owned GM cars, but my favorite car right now is the Jaguar XF. For me it could come down to the XF or a future Cadillac if they have something comparable.

I hope this baby has a formal launch control and various settings for the suspensions and throttle performance for different demands of the drivers.

And good bolstering seats.

GM is always good with stability control so I am not hoping for that.

• 2 years later...

Or for those of us who live in reality land...high $50's to low $60's.

Take a look at Cadillac's Website - 65,000 for a VTS-V - 3,925.00 down, 860.00 a month for a payment.

That's a sham - and they have nothing but problems. Good luck to the folks who buy them.

• Disagree 2

Take a look at Cadillac's Website - 65,000 for a VTS-V - 3,925.00 down, 860.00 a month for a payment.

That's a sham - and they have nothing but problems. Good luck to the folks who buy them.

Hey Mr. Troll, you could at least look at the date on the thread before you post.

Edited by PurdueGuy