Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GMTruckGuy74

Chop Request...

14 posts in this topic

It should come as no surprise that I really, really like MACK trucks. I've been to the MACK Allentown (PA) plant twice and have a small portion of my diecast collection devoted to MACK trucks of all ages. Some background info on my request: in 1936, MACK contracted out to REO to make light- to medium-duty pickup trucks, affectionately known as "Mack Jr". They were popular in 1936 and into 1937, but by 1938 (last year for Mack Jr) the writing was on the wall for it's end. I would like any of our designers here to take on this challenge and show me your vision of what a 2008 (or beyond) MACK light-duty pikup truck could look like.

For design help, here are some pictures of a current MACK Granite's:

Mack.2007.Granite.jpg

mack.2006.granite.jpg

mack2005.CV713.jpg

Again, I'd like to see half-ton pickup trucks that would be sold to both commercial and non-commercial buyers. I appreciate you reading my request and look forward to seeing what anyone comes up with.

And another reason I ask for this chop is because International Trucks offers three distinct medium-duty pickups off of their heavy haulers:

CXT:

cxt_intl_red.jpg

RXT:

project.jpg

MXT:

internationalmxt.jpg

I wish MACK would do the same thing, although I know I could never afford one new. Thanks!

i love macks! my dad had trucking and dumpster businesses, and most of his trucks were macks... his rolloffs were all R Models like this one:

17_1.jpg

and all his Tractors were Superliners... i love Superliners :wub:

Mack-Hauber-KOSZ-schwarz-(Jensen).jpg

Edited by SuperSport623

Holy need for a resized image, batman!

Couple things...

-are you thinking something along the lines of the International trucks you pictured, or half-ton trucks you mentioned?

-what are Mack's manufacturer associations (if any) that might lead the trucks to share some basics with another manufacturer (for example, if International did half-ton trucks, I'd expect them to be based off the Ford trucks, since Navistar/International supplies the Powerstroke diesel. Then again, that relationship was sounding rocky, and I haven't heard anything new in a while, and it seemed like there was talk of Ford building it's own diesel...) Anyway - any manufacturer relationships that might lend to shared chassis/etc?

I think it would be cool to see something like this too. Could be kinda like GMC is to Chevy, only more differentiated, and I would personally start the Macks out at at least 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton trucks.

Wait, just remembered... isn't Mack owned by the french now?

Macks owned by volvo, iirc

and Purdueguy, what you said about the internationals based on fords... idk about the other two, but the RXT has alot of Superduty parts, including the bed... its from a Dually Superduty

Macks owned by volvo, iirc

and Purdueguy, what you said about the internationals based on fords... idk about the other two, but the RXT has alot of Superduty parts, including the bed... its from a Dually Superduty

Not surprising, but cool to know, tnx. :)

Cool idea, a modern day version of the 1930s "Mack Jr."

Macks are the Chevys of trucks, I prefer the Cadillacs & Buicks:

Kennworths & Peterbilts! :wub:

"There's an old saying: Mack's built the road so Peterbilts could earn a living."

thats true.. my dads macks were the down and dirty work trucks, and the peterbuilts and kenworths were more "showy" trucks..

Wait, just remembered... isn't Mack owned by the french now?

They were owned by Renault, who then turned around and sold them to Volvo. I believe Renault owned them from the '90s to just recently. I learned this fact at this year's plant tour in June at the ATHS (Antique Truck Historical Society) Truck Show in Macungie, PA (right down the road from the plant). The tour guides are all retired MACK employees, and they are not happy talking about non-American owners (seriously). Many quickly state that fact and move on to other history of the company!

Me personally, I'd like to see a 1/2-ton crew cab, but if MACK were to do this, 3/4 ton and up would probably be where they'd start. The Mack Jr. of the 1930s was offered in 1/2-ton pickups, right up through 3-ton trucks. I would like to see whatever any of the C&G designed come up with!!!

*grooooooan*

I'll take two!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room