Winter Weather Car Spotting

Satty

This isn't a normal spotting thread, any car belongs in this thread, as long as it ran off the road in a winter weather related incident.

To start:

99-02 Silverado

1st gen Honda Passport (didn't appear to have 4wd badge on i back)

Unmarked Po-Po issue Ford Crown Victoria

And thats just the last few day with a little freezing rain. Nothing today, but its just been foggy so far.

i saw an 18 wheeler on its side gaurdrail to median on 71 comming from Ohio back to Jersey... shut down the whole highway for like... 7 miles... the only other vehicle involved as a tanker of some sort that was in the median after having swerved to avoid the trailer... that one was still on its wheels... didnt look like anyone was seriously hurt but i was glad i was traveling east instead of west... that wouldve been a nightmare...

Nissan Pathfinder

older Ford medium-duty truck on the Baltimore Beltway hit the concrete wall in the far right lane and spun 180* around, which caused 3 of the four lanes on the outer loop to be shut down.

No such thing as snow here, but I spotted two smart fortwos yesterday. One was black, and the other was red - a cabrio, I think. That's twice the number of Malibus I've seen on the road so far, which incidentally, was a LS model with a barcode. It was going pretty fast, too, so it probably had the fleet-only 3.5 V6.

Well, the roads are still $h!ty in places here even a week after getting a foot of snow. They waited until there was a few inches on all the roads before they decided to start plowing so everything is still covered with a layer of snow/ice. On Friday afternoon I came across a Trailblazer upside down in the median of I29. It must have happened just before I got there because they were just climbing out. I stopped and went down there since I'm a first responder. OnStar had an ambulance on the way for the one girl in the back seat who hit her head pretty good, but everyone was alright. They came and waited in the Suburban with me since it was damn near 10 below until the Ambulance and wrecker arrived. Just glad everyone was ok.

Besides that, I saw a mid 90s Explorer, a late 90s Grand Prix, a 300C, and a mid 90s Tacoma that had gotten a little off the roadway and had the snow pull them into the ditch. Plenty of tracks in the snow where people have gone in though. Almost one every mile or so on I29 going north.

I was going to make a thread like this... not ONE rwd car the other day in the blizzard.

- VW Jetta, current gen.

- Civic (brand new two door)

- Hyundai Tiburon, last gen.

- 1997-ish Jetta

My RWD Datsun has been getting me around fine, as well as Julie's Mercedes.

RWD or FWD all you need is patience and the use of your brain. I never got stuck once in the FWD Prizm, and never lost control of it...without snow tires too. The real hero of the fleet is the Shadow which has snow tires on the front, which certainly makes a difference.

Although I would love to own a Jeep right now.

Edited by Dodgefan

• 1 month later...

Froze over on Saturday night and was pretty slippery. Just went for a 20-30 mile (round trip) drive or so up and down M59 and saw about four cars in the median. I even slid right through a red. I saw it turn yellow and was a way back, went on the brakes lightly and no matter how light I got on them I just slid, so I put on the horn and was lucky it wasn't busy at one in the morning.