RBB

Spied: 2009 Ford Mustang

6 posts in this topic

Apologies if it is already posted:

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/14398/...tang.html?al=99

Ford’s Mustang trots around in public, but stays warm.

BY STEVE SILER, December 2007

We know you love to read and see anything we have on the Ford Mustang, especially future Mustangs, so here’s what we have on the upcoming (and long overdue) midcycle enhancement of America’s favorite pony car.

From what we can see under the blankets, only minor changes have been made to the front end, with a more reverse-canted shark nose and what appear to be detailed headlamp assemblies in place of the current model’s single rounds.

The bodysides appear to have some changes, too, otherwise they wouldn’t be all covered up, would they?

In back, revised taillamps threaten to mess with a good thing, but we’ll reserve final judgment until we see it in its final form.

There’s little we can tell about the interior, since it is as covered up as the exterior, but we can tell you we’re looking at a V-6 model with new wheels.

Powertrain and feature changes are TBD, but at some point there will be an all-new “Boss” modular V-8 under a bulging hood, likely displacing about 5.0 liters, as well as the requisite V-6 options (3.5- or 3.7-liter Duratec, or TwinForce turbocharged version) to keep the Mustang competitively affordable.

Stay tuned. If this is indeed slated as a 2009 model, then we expect the mid-cycle refresh to be unveiled during the 2008 auto show circuit, perhaps in Detroit in January, or Chicago in February.

-RBB

Seems to be a little more of a swoop to the beltline and a more tapered rear end (unlike the current one that is kinda chunky). There's still too much camo to really see any major changes besides the taillights, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I'm thinking about getting a Mustang when I get out of college in May, but I might just have to wait until I see the '09 unveiled.

Seems to be a little more of a swoop to the beltline and a more tapered rear end (unlike the current one that is kinda chunky). There's still too much camo to really see any major changes besides the taillights, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I'm thinking about getting a Mustang when I get out of college in May, but I might just have to wait until I see the '09 unveiled.

I want a Challenger with a six-speed, but it won't be until '09 when the "regular" V8 version (rather than the over-amped SRT8) comes out. Or a Camaro, assuming it ever makes it to the market.

Given that these may be the last mainstream muscle cars for a while, given the recent passage of the energy bill, I'd like to get mine before they're gone again. (Hopefully I'm just being overly paranoid here, but it's also a good way to justify myself getting one of these rolling fun-boxes. :D )

The TwinForce version intrigues me the most. And I don't totally object to gripping a Ford (Sync and the fact I own a Zune helps)

Yeah they are finally going to get rid of the tractorish 4.0 liter V6.

I always kinda thought, if you're gonna sell a lot of the sixes (and they certainly do), shouldn't it at least be a really good six?

Make the base engine the 3.5 DOHC V6, then add a tuned 5.4 V8 above the GT as a loaded Mach 1 model. Good way to keep in step with the competition about to arrive.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor