How 'Bout That Host?

Cory Wolfe

I just wanted to drop in quickly before I go to work. I'll give the Cliff's Notes version of everything that happened since Tuesday afternoon:

1. I notice the site goes down for the count Tuesday affternoon.

2. I send Dreamhost a support ticket early Tuesday evening, after ruling out my work LAN as a problem.

3. DreamHost gets back to me on Wednesday telling me to look at the scripts on the site (which are fine)

4. I respond back to them asking for clarification and more info.

5. Dreamhost responds back saying they disabled the site via the web and if I didn't fix the scripts on the site they would kill access to the site completely

6. I back up the site's files and database to my home PC, and lay into them like I never laid into anyone before in my entire life

7. Dreamost turns the site back on and, while disagreeing with most of my points, apologizes for the way they've handled our situation.

I'll reveal more as we progress towards getting this place more reliable.

It felt like crack head without CocaineandGrass for two days.

Hello, allow me to introduce myself. My name is ocn. I was surfing the net and just found this place, thinking of becoming a regular. (Looks around room,) hello... hello, hello. :AH-HA_wink:

Hey Blu, welcome to our website. We would like to have colorful people like you, and insight from you about our website will be highly appreciated. Please keep on posting.

I just wanted to drop in quickly before I go to work. I'll give the Cliff's Notes version of everything that happened since Tuesday afternoon:

1. I notice the site goes down for the count Tuesday affternoon.

2. I send Dreamhost a support ticket early Tuesday evening, after ruling out my work LAN as a problem.

3. DreamHost gets back to me on Wednesday telling me to look at the scripts on the site (which are fine)

4. I respond back to them asking for clarification and more info.

5. Dreamhost responds back saying they disabled the site via the web and if I didn't fix the scripts on the site they would kill access to the site completely

6. I back up the site's files and database to my home PC, and lay into them like I never laid into anyone before in my entire life

7. Dreamost turns the site back on and, while disagreeing with most of my points, apologizes for the way they've handled our situation.

I'll reveal more as we progress towards getting this place more reliable.

Good job Z. It seems like cheapest is not the best. I understand from Fly that we got better deal from them. But what you mentioned is not acceptable from any host. I am glad that you are backing it all up.

I read one of the e-mails from dreamhost: all I can say is that the twit that wrote it is very lucky that he's on the other side of the continent.

I have never read such a nasty, condescending and insulting piece of steaming crap from someone who is supposed to be there to support a customer.

...And I'm being generous.

Our agreement with these people can't end too soon. The thing is, we are paid up way ahead and to change now would cost C&G too much. I think that the time to get donations together will be at the end of the current hosting agreement.

Meantime, we will simply have to demand the service that we have paid for. I'm sick of folks in this industry thinking that they can just dictate to the customer and not honor their agreements. These petulant children need to have their feet held to the fire until they fulfill their end of the bargain.

Yeah, I'm pissed!

Well that is a whole different country. Anyways, I had told Fly that I will chip in with any help we need to keep this site going on in full health, not an octagenarian bedridden on life support.

Much appreciated, but we have to examine the options.

The tough part is that straight answers are something dreamhost is incapable of.

And they cannot be trusted.

And they cannot be trusted.

Which is why I vote that we cut our losses and move on. There is obviously the support from "Viewers like You!" to pay for a new host.

A host that I've been using for a few years now and have been very happy with has been Bluehost.com. 10 people contribute $10 and that is 14 months of service with them.

First off, thank a lot to everyone. I think it's awesome that so many of you like this place enough to offer to pay for it. Your enthusiasm makes what we do here worthwhile.

I'm still in contact with Dreamhost. I'm now dealing with one tech exclusively, as opposed to whoever decides to read my email. He did apologize and say that our situation was handled incorrectly, and even offered to upgrade our plan at a reduced cost (I don't want to reveal the exact details). I just fired off a few questions I had to him, and we're currently discussing our options for proceeding in the mod boards. I will keep everyone posted as I find out more info and we come to a decision as to what we think is the best way to go.

The semi-funny thing is you have me to blame for all of this.....sort of.... :D

Back when CG needed to switch from that little host in Detroit...I think it was some kid with an Atari on dialup...I asked one of my friends who runs a large IT operation about a good company and THEY recommended Dreamhost. Hence, here we are. The original idea was to use my friends company. That would've been bullet proof, but unfortunately, they don't allow message board software on their servers since things like that make it easier for hackers to do their dirty work.

Swing-and-a-miss...

(I got a server error the first time I tried to post this :lol: )

Way to handle customer relations by blaming the problem on the customer.

are we being hosted by toyota? :lol: