The Best Camaro Picture so Far

hyperv6

Here is a good picture of the car. Please keep in mund it is not done and some of the changes were done to make the car livable.

Please no unrealistic complaints as this is a real world car vs Fantasy concpet. This one has to work and survive the real world of daily driving.

camaroclean2eg0.jpg

Looks OK I suppose. Camaro isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of GM's portfolio and the uncertain future of the industry.

It terms of overall sales perhaps not, but in terms of casting a halo around the brand, and giving thousands of enthusiasts what they've been craving since 2002, it's a big deal.

Aren't they aiming for pretty good sales numbers with it too? can't remember.

The only changes that could be complained about 'unrealistically' would be the larger mirrors (ie: there is a 'real world' practicality/safety issue involved there). I do not see any other changes as being 'real world vs. fantasy'; some aspects of design are sometimes over-executed on the side of conservatism when the original aspect is entirely livable in 90% of the real world. IMO- sometimes sacrificing that 10% is worth the image and cache in certain products. IE: did ferrari care that the 3.5-foot frontal overhang and it's resulting dismal approach angle in the enzo would keep it out of many Beverly Hills driveways? F-no.

B-pillar looks very thin and "hidden" well. Mirrors don't look bad at all.. they're big enough to see out of but aren't ruining the looks of the car.

The vents in front of the rear wheel look like they're staying. Sexy wheels. Handles look vanilla, but are fine with me.

Looks maybe a LITTLE taller, but probably not enough to upset anybody. Overhangs are still minimal.

Guest YellowJacket894
I am really liking what I see so far. Let's see, 3.6L DI, six speed manuel transmission... hotness.

Paint it black, and that's my graduation gift. :AH-HA_wink:

Looks to be decently close to the concept. I Wish it could be 99.9% the same, but oh well. Seems like the lines aren't as sharp... but perhaps that is a result of poor photography.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to nitpick that out... It's the same thing that happened with the SSR. I think a lot of it has to do with classic Chevy cues. It seems that 'classic' Chevy lines (the big element that made 60's Chevies so appealing) translate perfect into concept but not so well when a price point is attached in production.

I loved the SSR though, and I suppose I'll love the Camaro... In fact, if things keep going the way they are this will probably be my first new, and new GM, car. But a lot of the appeal of the concept, for me, was the very aggressive vibe that the car portrayed (It's the same reason I like the Focus, old A&S, Trans Ams, etc.) I certainly hope that isn't lost in the translation to production.

When the server was down I spent time on some other sites and I have to say our group is one of the few realistic groups around.

I can tell most here have a clue by your comments and must say I am please to be a part of this group. C & C is one of the best groups of auto fans around.

Here are some of the things I noted.

The Quarters are not flaired out as much. This has tone down the side lines a small bit. I suspect it may be due to fitting the chassie and Making the car wasier to drive. Also the Quarters would have eaten a lot of rocks like a Cobra or HHR.

The Roof is rasied but the side glass is still not rased much. They did move the widshield up into the roof a little to improve visibility. It look higher vs the side glass.

GM has done a good job here and I expect after the SSR and Solstice this car will have most fixes in place from a show car. They have made misakes in the past on limited volume cars like the SSR where you have to open the door ro reach the seat bottons to move the seat as there is little room between the seat and door for your hand.

The front overhang looks shorter (good improvement)

As mentioned, the rear doesn't look as boxy (hard to tell), but still looks good

The biggest thing to me (and it could just be the white and blurry pic) is that the line below the door that was so pronounced before looks to be very dulled. I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but hopefully that line is still there and prominent

For the record, I'm drooling too.

There is a shot of one of the full-cammo mules on the road that clearly shows that the lines running from the quarter to the front of the door are still present ( perhaps slightly less pronounced). Those lines really can't be seen in this cruddy pic, and that makes the quarter and door look so plain.

No fear, the aggressive lines are still there.

I love the new Camaro as much as the next guy, but I don't know if I can take 15 more months of this hype. If this continues, there is no way the Camaro will be able to live up to expectations.

Well it has not other choice ans has to.

Besides te build up to Christmas is long but it still does not hurt the thrill of opening presents on Christmas morning............................unless your mother inlaw shops on QVC.

It will be fine for 90% of the people as your never going to please everyone. Remember too the car coming out in 09 is only the start with more models due soon after.

• 2 weeks later...
I still like it, that baby is sharp. I want mine in red, white or silver. The rear fender doesn't flare the same as the concept. The rims are good tho.

Nah...black, no stripes, gunmetal rims with polished lip, burgundy interior.

And three pedals, please.

The white paint and lighting is hiding all those sexy lines . Im more concerned whats under the front bra , I really hope they kept the projector ( concept was actually LEDS) with the Halo ring . If this car has mustang like headlights like the Bumble bee had it will lose a ton of front end character .

A black one coming up the road with just halo rings on would be pure evilness :D

Edited by silverss/sc

White is not flattering to this car.... but it still looks good from what can be seen.

(still TWO too many b-pillars though :( )

I am really liking what I see so far. Let's see, 3.6L DI, six speed manuel transmission... hotness.

Except I have a feeling you won't be seeing the DI V6......I predict base 3.6L and 6.2L as the mainstream engines to mirror what G8 offers. However I'm sure there are better informed people on this site that can correct me.

Also, I predict, unfortunately, automatic-only with the V6....also to mirror the G8.

I could see the G8 and Camaro sharing engines, but I highly doubt they will let the base engine come auto only. Make the manual an option with the auto standard like the F-body had for a while (I dont recall, was the 6-speed an extra cost option or no cost? I know it was extra cost on the C5) but dont make the V6 auto only, in this type of car, thats a terrible idea.

:rotflmao: at NOS

A few people in the know on CZ28 have said at one point that the DI 3.6 would be used instead of a "volume" V8. Don't know it that's still the case. That engine paired with a slick 6 speed in a Camaro would be intriguing, as it could bring in customers who wouldn't normally buy a Camaro, ie. people who want a G35/37 coupe but want something that doesn't look like a melted turd and don't want to pay the extra several thousand dollars just because it's a :censored: Infiniti.

Dude, no.

1. :rolleyes:

2. :chillpill:

3. :deadhorse:

4. :censored::cussing:

5. :alcoholic:

Whatever.... :angry:

Here's three cheers for:

:cheers: Selling out

:cheers: Cutting Corners

:cheers: & Mediocrity

I'm a man of principle, GM was going to make one car

that was not going to suck at ALL, but now there's

already been a major compromise. If I wanted a CHEAP

muscle car with crappy, chunky B-pillars I'd get a

Mustang... but GM is better than this.

And before you say I would have never bought it you

better think before you speak.... I've alredy financed

a five year old Cadillac so don't go telling me I would

have never pulled the trigger. The hardtop bodystyle

was my No.1 hot button and without that the whole

thing falls appart... glued in side windows are for

Cobalts & Civic coupes, not halo MUSCLE CARS!

I'm a man of principle, GM was going to make one car

that was not going to suck at ALL, but now there's

already been a major compromise. If I wanted a CHEAP

muscle car with crappy, chunky B-pillars I'd get a

Mustang... but GM is better than this.

Says who? (that it was not going to have a B-pillar come PRODUCTION time)

Edited by AAS

true to concept means TRUE, close or almost the same thing....

A two door sedan and a two door hardtop are NOT even CLOSE!!!

Why do you think GM apologized about it? They know they f@#ked up. <_<

You may think they f@#ked up, but they're going to sell every Camaro they can make, and make a nice little profit off each and every one.

Ford made excellent profits with the Mustang II..... :huh:

The last I heard a while back [Pre 35 MPG CAFE] GM was looking at two V6 engines. One in the 260 HP range and one I was quoted at 320 HP. Seing that the CTS already has a 305 HP engine a 320HP would not be a too hard to believe.

Also the 320 HP V6 was not Turbo or Supercharged. This info was from someone who would know but with the passage of time and fuel milage requirment could have changed by now. He has not given me anyupdates

The base V8 will be base on the 430 HP LS engine we already have.

The top Z28 will feature over 500 HP. I was told it was supercharged but not the ZR-1 engine. Well look no farther than the CTSV as the new car has a 6.2 Supercharged V8 at 550 HP. I have a feeling this may be the top Camaro engine about a year and a half after intro.

Either way the V6 is the most important model for the Camaro as it will accout for the majority of the sales.

As for the B pillar!!!! It is there and it is not going anywhere. GM did it for a reason and it has been perfectly made clear why.

I wish I could flap my arms and fly but it ain't gonna happen either!!!!! So get over it or seek professional help :wacko::wacko: . Dr Phil is available from what I have read.

God I am so friken sick and tired of that rant and I am far from the only one!

Dr Phil is available from what I have read.

I heard he canceled his show with Britney Spears, and I think you're about as messed up, Sly, with the B-Pillar issue. Take that slot!

Anyway, thanks for the info, hyper! That sounds like a badass lineup. And are you sure they're working with the LS3 AND the DI V6? Because I also heard a rumor on an LS5 being developed as a smaller output V8 to be in the mid-to-high 300 HP range.

Edited by NOS2006

I heard he canceled his show with Britney Spears, and I think you're about as messed up, Sly, with the B-Pillar issue. Take that slot!

Anyway, thanks for the info, hyper! That sounds like a badass lineup. And are you sure they're working with the LS3 AND the DI V6? Because I also heard a rumor on an LS5 being developed as a smaller output V8 to be in the mid-to-high 300 HP range.

The last time I spoke to Scott Settlemire he really was stressing that not all buyers wanted a performance engine and that gave me a thought in Scott talk there for sure would be a lesser powered V6. But that pretty much was a given. He would not say anything on the higher power V6 and to this point I have never seen anything other than the V8 for the SS and a Supercharged V8 for the Z28.

As for the standard shift it would have to be available for the V6 as the Mustang offers it and GM is trying to match or better it on all points.

With New CAFE rules I would not expect much more than 2 V8 engines. If there is a 300 + V6 there is no need for a V8 under 400 HP. Signs like the Northstar replacment getting the Axe and GM reafirming the 3.6 as the new power plant for many of the new cars I expect to see a lot more out of it in the future.

Edited by hyperv6

Guest YellowJacket894

260 out of the base V6 doesn't sound too bad. The base Camaro is probably all I'll be able to afford on top of paying college loans, anyway. Doesn't matter. I've been waiting for this set of B-pillars for what feels like ages now.