Followers 0
MRDETROITMETAL

Pontiac G5 LeMans

20 posts in this topic

From the Astra....another concept car idea :

pontiacg5lemanszl6.jpg

post-1820-1197612268_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Delete the vents and paint and wing and raise it back up and I'd almost take one... if it wern't called LeMans. I like the headlight & grille shape (though it's not quite modern Pontiac... seems almost like it'd be an Eagle thing).

Spinal Tap

Not too bad. At least its not based off of the Toyota Matrix

I don't consider this (mature) driving excitement, nor anything in the direction of what BMW is doing.

< flush >

True it is more a "Honda, Nissan, Mitsu, Acura" type style, as stated a rice catcher indeed by intent. BUT, It is a "performance" market that cannot be denied anymore if ya wanna sell cars, like it or not.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

True it is more a "Honda, Nissan, Mitsu, Acura" type style, as stated a rice catcher indeed by intent. BUT, It is a "performance" market that cannot be denied anymore if ya wanna sell cars, like it or not.

I am not denying that there is a "market" for those people. I just told what I felt about the chop. In fact GM should tap that market. :duck:

Civics and other imports don't start out looking ricey, it's the owners who do that to them. That's not why they sell. What ricers want is something cheap that they can make (they think) look fast. True performance tuners won't care how many frivolous accoutrements there are; if it is a good car with the potential for top perfomrance, they will buy it. Creating something that appeals mainly to a small minority (which ricers are) is a good way to alienate a lot of people who don't want a car that looks like the Poser Mobile or want a sleeper.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

many true tuners want the same thing that hot rodders have always wanted - something cheap, and with lots of power (or power potential). Good looks are a plus as well.

Personally, I would like to see the greenhouse a little more differentiated from the Astra (though I wouldn't be against a well differentiated astra-based vehicle going to pontiac). The way oversized wheels are a common part of chops like this, I get that, but if it were something intended to be a more realistic product the wheels would have to be more matched to the wheel well size, and realistic in regards to suspension design (the typical driver couldn't deal with a "slammed" car). I mostly like the "beak" and the headlights, not sure about the nostrils. Overall, it's ok, not super exciting to me, but not disgusting either.

Your chops seem to be getting better & better - I used to shudder at them, and now I'm picking up on ideas in them that I like. ;) Still not quite my cup o' tea generally, but they don't need to be.

Yes it does seem that the terms "Tuners" vs "Ricer" to many in the general population are the same thing, tho I quite agree with the comments here there IS a BIG difference in INTENT, tho the cars may share a common style or brand. My point is well taken here that GM needs another car besides just the Cobalt & Solstice to be solid in the game. Pontiac has the "performance moniker" and has done very well with the Solstice in SCCA, Drifting & General tuner Car clubs, so a astra based car would be different from the Cobalt, and provide another car for this market....:

A few examples of what GM cars have DONE at the NOPI shows :

2005nopi6fi4.jpg

2005nopi9rs7.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Man I would probably die of puking at that show, despite it seems like being a GM sponsored event.

The LeMans name should never again grace a FWD econobox!

I wish there was an Ctrl-Z button that could make the FWD Toyota Nova

& the Pontiac LeMans not exist anymore. SO many of GM's glorious old

names have been dragged through the mud. Shame-shame!

'course the other factor to remember is that Pontiac should be getting an Alpha car, so I'm not sure they'd need an Astra-based car.

Also, the cars you posted are show cars. I generally break down the modified sport compact world into 3 categories - "tuner" (all about speed) "show" (all about looks) and "ricer (poor execution, no direction, poor taste in choices *very subjective category*). Of course there are plenty of cars that touch on more than one category. Personally, I prefer "tuner" cars with just a touch of show (subtle appearance mods).

Yeah, these "show cars" were built by the owners of those cars, not GM per se. There is a Cobalt there I think was a GM SEMA show car (yellow one I used below ), an it is the most tame of them all ! As for the LeMans name, ...you can pretty much rest assured it will NOT be coming back anytime soon, & IMO if Pontiac gets the Alpha cars, which ay this point is not for sure, other than we know CHEVY will get it, IMO that "A" car should be a G7 or in old school name...

A Firebird. (see my other thread here for more on that)...but what can you really say, the tuner thing is here to stay, like mentioned here it is just the same "Hot Rod" mentality stepped into the 21st Century. Personally I am no fan of FWD little cars, But my last drive in a Cobalt SS was quite an interesting one, that little car rocks, as does the G6 GXP...you can't really fault those cars as a base for "Hot Rodding"...tho an Alpha car would be a more "classic" layout ...as a Hot rodder or tuner ..ya gotta work with what is at hand today.

Now if ya were to take an Alpha layout an drop it into a Cobalt !!!....and got something like this chop I did :

cobaltweapon1tu9.jpg

^ Now That'd Be a HOT ROD in my book !

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room