Toyota recalls 15,600 Tundras

mustang84

Faulty part prompts Toyota to recall 15,600 Tundras

Ryan Beene - Automotive News

December 14, 2007 - 12:35 pm ET

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. is recalling 15,600 2007 Toyota Tundra pickups because a transmission part could break.

Toyota says the rear propeller shaft on four-wheel-drive Tundras could separate at a joint. No accidents or injuries have been reported resulting from the faulty shaft.

“The front joint on the rear driveshaft may have been improperly heat treated by our supplier,” a Toyota spokesman said. “In the worst case, the shaft may separate at the joint.”

Toyota discovered the flaw after a customer complained of abnormal noises coming from the shaft.

Owners of the recalled trucks will receive a notification in the mail starting late this month, Toyota said in a statement today.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.....;/71214007/1197

is this for real?

if it looks and smells like a pig and oinks like a pig?

this isn't even funny anymore. Do those dorks know what they are doing?

Can someone please update the list on this lemon now?

-tailgates crumpling

-weak frame

-camshafts exploding

-bed bounce

-'transmission part may break'

what else am i missing here?

Edited by regfootball

is this for real?

if it looks and smells like a pig and oinks like a pig?

this isn't even funny anymore. Do those dorks know what they are doing?

Can someone please update the list on this lemon now?

-tailgates crumpling

-weak frame

-camshafts exploding

-bed bounce

-'transmission part may break'

what else am i missing here?

Parking Brake that won't hold the truck when in drive but no throttle applied.

Well I guess that whole excuse Toyota used, "Vehicle Stability Control doesn't work in 4WD because then it would have needed a center differential and that's just another part to break", was probably accurate.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

The question posed on Toyota's website is:

It all comes down to one question. Does it have the guts?

Appears the answer is a resounding NO! [AutoBlog article nicely summaries the issues to date]

However, I do believe their tagline of "The truck that's changing it all" is truth in advertising, just likely not the way Toyota intended.

everyone deifies the Toyota production system as the worldwide standard, however, this stuff that is happening, are they NOT TESTING THE PRODUCTS or even doing QC checks?

This is exposing some serious issues with their process. How can you trust a manufacturer that has these fatal weaknesses?

Edited by regfootball

everyone deifies the Toyota production system as the worldwide standard, however, this stuff that is happening, are they NOT TESTING THE PRODUCTS or even doing QC checks?

This is exposing some serious issues with their process. How can you trust a manufacturer that has these fatal weaknesses?

Well, I don't know about that, but I think the point is that this is exposing people to the idea of core competencies. Toyota can have the greatest system for testing, but if they don't know what to look for when testing a truck, then it's not going to do a lot and they're going to end up with problems like this. Toyota gets so much credit because there are a ton of people who are driving Corollas and Camrys with 200,000 miles on them (rightfully so). But the domestics don't get that same credit for the drones of people who beat the crap out of their trucks on a daily basis for 200,000 miles and up. Why, because they had a relative weakness in quality with their cars. Previously, Toyota didn't have that weakness since the last Tundra didn't really have to stand up to the usage of a real fullsize pickup. Hopefully this will lead to the realization that the domestics don't suck at building vehicles, but rather focused on a much more difficult challange of building great trucks and just ignored their cars for a while - to their own detriment.

Well, I don't know about that, but I think the point is that this is exposing people to the idea of core competencies. Toyota can have the greatest system for testing, but if they don't know what to look for when testing a truck, then it's not going to do a lot and they're going to end up with problems like this. Toyota gets so much credit because there are a ton of people who are driving Corollas and Camrys with 200,000 miles on them (rightfully so). But the domestics don't get that same credit for the drones of people who beat the crap out of their trucks on a daily basis for 200,000 miles and up. Why, because they had a relative weakness in quality with their cars. Previously, Toyota didn't have that weakness since the last Tundra didn't really have to stand up to the usage of a real fullsize pickup. Hopefully this will lead to the realization that the domestics don't suck at building vehicles, but rather focused on a much more difficult challange of building great trucks and just ignored their cars for a while - to their own detriment.

If this were Slashdot, I'd mod your post "Insightful"

Actually, I would post that Toyota has been ignoring many of the principals of their own production system. I've studied lean, and the TPS does have a lot of things right, but it's only serves Toyota well if they actually follow the principals. In the last several years, we've seen Toyota become obsessed with becoming #1, shoving vehicles out the doors & down their dealers' throats (overproduction, big TPS & lean no-no), and in their push they've given incentives and demands of their plant managers that place quantity over quality.

reg, your emphasis on testing... is that testing new designs, or testing product as it is produced? I know there are big trust issues with companies that move away from testing every product that comes down/off the assembly line - is that the issue, or do you feel they didn't test a new design sufficiently enough? Personally, I'd say they didn't test the new design enough AND didn't do sufficient testing initially in their new plant to ensure that processes were creating a quality product. Manufacturers can move away from testing as their processes become more reliable, but you can't just not test something when it's new.

If I read this right, it's just a "U"-joint we are talking about here, a part that should never have problems when a vehicle is new.

Don't forget the more serious torque converter issue - that one actually has something to do with the transmission. A u-joint is not part of a trans., but is a critical driveline component. If this were to fail at even low speeds, the potential exists that the truck could flip when the driveshaft drops to the road surface and digs in. It can essentially "pole vault" the truck into the air.

Not good, Toyota.

I hope every one of these trucks gets in for service before something nasty happens.

Actually, I would post that Toyota has been ignoring many of the principals of their own production system. I've studied lean, and the TPS does have a lot of things right, but it's only serves Toyota well if they actually follow the principals. In the last several years, we've seen Toyota become obsessed with becoming #1, shoving vehicles out the doors & down their dealers' throats (overproduction, big TPS & lean no-no), and in their push they've given incentives and demands of their plant managers that place quantity over quality.

reg, your emphasis on testing... is that testing new designs, or testing product as it is produced? I know there are big trust issues with companies that move away from testing every product that comes down/off the assembly line - is that the issue, or do you feel they didn't test a new design sufficiently enough? Personally, I'd say they didn't test the new design enough AND didn't do sufficient testing initially in their new plant to ensure that processes were creating a quality product. Manufacturers can move away from testing as their processes become more reliable, but you can't just not test something when it's new.

windy might be right. they simply have no idea what they are building and what standard to build it to.

couple that with inadequate testing of prototype parts.......and in general, a tendency for japanese companies to design things to the bone in the interest of some sort of sick thrill of the mind......

I hope this stuff KILLS their reputation. its right. you can drive an old beater accord on good weather city streets 200k miles no prob, but i want to see some construction worker or rancher beat the CRAP out of a turd for 200k miles and see what's left.

the FJ cruisers are not fairing much better.

imagine buying a house, only to find the foundation was starting to collapse. "Oh sorry, i guess we should have made the walls 10 inches wide and put rebar in it. We didn't think you needed that".

Go to a used car lot and find an 06-07 RAV4 and then open up that flimsy back door real wide and shut it quickly with some force. Oh yeah, real sturdy.

Okay, so I bought a new GMT so hear me out... we should give Toyota a bit of a break. GM did have rather bonehead problems with the T800's:

-Sealed front bearing packs that weren't well sealed so they would score the spindle; (no recall just a part redesign and a TSB)

-Tailgate supports;

-The emphamis "piston slap;"

I am sure that I could think of more but, the truth is Toyota has NEVER produced a full size truck this size or complex. New drivetrain, suspension, plant and all... now that aside, I would expect it from early to mid 90's GM but not "Jesus drove a Camry" Toyota. Hope they can build something else in the San Antonio plant when they stop building so many Tundra's.

Okay, so I bought a new GMT so hear me out... we should give Toyota a bit of a break. GM did have rather bonehead problems with the T800's:

-Sealed front bearing packs that weren't well sealed so they would score the spindle; (no recall just a part redesign and a TSB)

-Tailgate supports;

-The emphamis "piston slap;"

I am sure that I could think of more but, the truth is Toyota has NEVER produced a full size truck this size or complex. New drivetrain, suspension, plant and all... now that aside, I would expect it from early to mid 90's GM but not "Jesus drove a Camry" Toyota. Hope they can build something else in the San Antonio plant when they stop building so many Tundra's.

I thought he drove a Prius?

“The front joint on the rear driveshaft may have been improperly heat treated by our supplier,”

It's always the suppliers fault with anything that happens to Toyota's. Toyota lovers will tell you that the reason they're starting to have some quality problems is because they're getting parts from US based suppliers. Ya right. Where are your quality checks, Toyota?

Toyota gets so much credit because there are a ton of people who are driving Corollas and Camrys with 200,000 miles on them (rightfully so).

You're rignt and why do you think that is? I know lots of people that put 300K miles on Buicks and Oldsmobiles, yet GM never gets credit for having reliable vehicles. Does this not happen in other parts of the country? Camry has been the best selling car for 10 years, but there aren't many 10+ year old ones around. There are many old GM and Ford cars around, where I live anyway.

Toyota buy their reputation?

Camry has been the best selling car for 10 years, but there aren't many 10+ year old ones around. There are many old GM and Ford cars around, where I live anyway.

Actually, there are a lot of 10+ yr old ones around. 10 years would only be a '97. I see early 90's Camry's around all the time. Of course, I see early 90's GM product around all the time too. And Fords, and...

See all these older Crapries come to Florida, just like older folks from you states, and reside to create ricers, traffic jams, shameless and reckless driving, slow speed in fast lane and other driving related atrocities.

• 3 weeks later...

whenever someone starts rattling about how much better Toyotas are.... I just ask them how many old Chevy Caprices <"you know, the old cop car" - if they can't remember> they still see around... and how many old Camrys.

100% of the time, the next words out of their mouth are "Yes, but..."

How many 80s Cadillacs? How many 80s Lexus? - I know it's not a fair comparison....but they don't know that.

whenever someone starts rattling about how much better Toyotas are.... I just ask them how many old Chevy Caprices <"you know, the old cop car" - if they can't remember> they still see around... and how many old Camrys.

I think I have figured that out... I would bet that the vast majority of Toyroda buyers are the "3 and out" leasers. They dump their 3 yr old Cramry off at the stealer and drive off in a new one. They really couldn't care less about what happens further down the food chain when these peices of crap are out of warranty.

yup. exactly. but no one mentions that. How many GM cars are fleeted? is always the thing that is brought up. Well, how many camlees are leased and returned?

I have been indignant that with the huge cahmlee sales increases the past 3-4 years, all those leases will FLOOD the open market and BAM! there goes that wonderful resale.

You CANNOT tell me that with hundreds of thousands of hahmrees hitting auctions that the value of them won't be that much different than sonatas.

How many 80s Cadillacs? How many 80s Lexus? - I know it's not a fair comparison....but they don't know that.

Odd. I've only seen maybe one Caprice as of late, and tons of late-80s and early-to-mid-90s Camries, all the time.

Odd. I've only seen maybe one Caprice as of late, and tons of late-80s and early-to-mid-90s Camries, all the time.

Around here, all the late Caprices got bought up by taxis (and movie companies for their sets) and driven into the ground or blown up. The only Caprices I still see on the road now are usually gems with 40,000 km on them and a silver haired old lady driving! :lol:

One of the demographic shifts that I see happening with the Camry is that is has become the OLDSmobile of the 21st century; that is to say, older people are buying them, babying them and, thus, furthering the Toyota myth.

One cannot get too hung up on the 'haven't seen this car' or 'haven't seen that car' testimony because, IMO, demographics are EVERYTHING.

In the upper midwest foreign cars must rust out after about 10 years. There are lots of old Buicks, Olds, and other GM and Ford cars, but many older foreign cars. A few older Accords, bur rarely camrys. I see old foreign cars down south, but not up here (MN and Dakotas).