Cadillac’s use of Led Zeppelin’s

jlbunting

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172324,00.html

One of the most famous examples of such an odd association in recent years is Cadillac’s use of Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll,” which debuted during the Super Bowl in 2002 and has been used in over a dozen commercials for the car since.

Lisa Pottger of New York, N.Y., said these ads in particular turn her off. "I get all nostalgic, then annoyed," she said.

The association was, of course, a calculated move. Cadillac was able to change the perception of the "Caddy" from your grandparents’ embarrassingly large boat of a car to the modern, sophisticated power machine that the engine warrants.

“Music does have this ability to immediately open up the floodgates of various associations and emotions, and what better way to sell a luxury car like a Cadillac to a baby-boomer than to evoke their rebellious youth?" said Thompson.

• 1 month later...
It does not fit NOW!!----It did not fit in 2002!!----Caddy should advertise with CLASS and PERFORMANCE.----NOT 1960/70's POT HEAD BABY BOOMER SELF OBSORBED ROCK-N-ROLL SCREAMING!! Use OLD BLUE EYES CLASSICS in these adds. FRANK FITS!!

I never liked the Led Zep campaigns.....I cringe everytime it comes on. Old geezer rock from old geezer rockers from England...doesn't make any sense. The only thing in GM's defense, some of their first choices didn't pan out. First an artisit has to be willing to do it and secondly there is the cost.

Guest carpetbagger

I never liked the Led Zep campaigns.....I cringe everytime it comes on. Old geezer rock from old geezer rockers from England...doesn't make any sense.  The only thing in GM's defense, some of their first choices didn't pan out.  First an artisit has to be willing to do it and secondly there is the cost.

[post="48437"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

because we all know that Coheed and Cambria would suit them better

I like Led Zeppelin but though it got kind of cheesy after a few months. I will say this much: targets their demographic prettty well age wise & in terms of attitude.

because we all know that Coheed and Cambria would suit them better

[post="48492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now there's something I'd love to see. Someone blasting through the slalom in an XLR to the line "Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops!"

:lol: