Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToniCipriani

GM Recalls over 300,000 vehicles

15 posts in this topic

After seeing a variety of reports cropping up this afternoon, we were finally able to get some hard information regarding a recall that's affecting 313,000 passenger vehicles and crossovers from General Motors.

The recall involves a seal on the rear axle pinion that's apparently prone to leaking, which has the possibility of locking the driven wheels and causing a loss of control. GM will be recalling 2005-2007 Cadillac CTS models, STS sedans and SRX crossovers, as well as the 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice and it's platform sibling the 2007 Saturn Sky. All told, that's 275,936 vehicles in the U.S., along with around 38,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico, the Middle East and Asia.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/21/gm-reca...0-000-vehicles/

Saw this on TV last night, right before I went to sleep. Maybe that's why I slept like crap...

[sarcasm] What? They don't have a GM spokesperson telling all the media that it was a mistake by an American supplier and they noticed the problem after finding just one vehicle with the leaking seal??? [/sarcasm]

Hmmm, pinion seal leaking=loss of differential lubricant=ruined differential, but not locked up rear wheels and loss of control....at least not in the rear ends that I've run without oil in them....

Hmmm, pinion seal leaking=loss of differential lubricant=ruined differential, but not locked up rear wheels and loss of control....at least not in the rear ends that I've run without oil in them....

in an unrelated issue, I have heard of differential problems on the CTS where the rear wheels did lock up.... and I would assume if there was a high rate of speed it would result in a loss of control.

However, the differentials do give plenty of warning before they go so there really is a level of responsibility that is still on the owner in the event of an accident. The CTS's has a distinct howl that the owner would have to live with for a few thousand miles before it finally gives out.

iHowever, the differentials do give plenty of warning before they go so there really is a level of responsibility that is still on the owner in the event of an accident. The CTS's has a distinct howl that the owner would have to live with for a few thousand miles before it finally gives out.

unless they listen to death metal, just might think it's part of the music. lol

this stinks, any reported accidents from this though?

Like you said olds, they give warning before taking a dump on you. Not unless the people are just brain damaged....

unless they listen to death metal, just might think it's part of the music. lol

this stinks, any reported accidents from this though?

I have heard of wheel lock up incidents, but no crashes.

The NTHSA makes the manufacturer report the worst possible scenario... so yeah, I can see why they'd say this.

I can't see how the rear wheels could lock for the life of me.

The ring gear should still be lubed, the oil level will settle to the bottom lip of the seal will it not? It would be low, the tell tale signs of oil under the car and on the pavement would be there, the rear after extended use would become noisy if something lacked sufficient lube, but like you say, there would be notice served to the driver FOR SURE??

Even if the axle bearings are lubed by the gear oil I can see no way the wheels could possibly lock??!?!

:scratchchin:

I suppose I could see the gears, with lack of lubricant, could generate enough heat to expand and start to bind and lock up...

Depends on the style of the rear (I have no idea what's under the CTS). On MANY, the seal reaches the lowest part of the carrier, wherein a leak at that point would drain the rear. Ring & pinion gears will not expand enough from heat to lock up, but the wheel bearings possibly could sieze from lack of lube. Still, 76CT is right: there will be more than ample warning from either area, not to mention one should notice drippings in the driveway/garage even before things started to get noisy/vibrate. Only the most evolutionary brain-deficient could possibly take this to the point of an accident.

Edited by balthazar

We have an 06 STS with a leaky rear end. We took it to the dealer before the recall notice came and they just told us basically to go away that there was nothing wrong with it. Hopefully with the recall notice, they will take it more seriously this time. Damn Michael Cadillac.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0