Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Head-on collision between Datsun & BMW...

Yeah the only "modern" car I'll even consider is a B-body,

(esp. with an LT1) or perhaps a hardtop Mercedes from

the 80s.... also I'm investigating a BMW 524 diesel in R.I.

But chances are I'll end up buying a car older than the

Datsun I'm replacing. Saving tons on sales tax, excise tax,

insurance, maintenance & other expenses are the perks to

classic car ownership, but most of all they suck a lot less!

You are a brave man...I couldn't imagine have a daily driver older than 10-15 yrs old (my Jeep is 7 now)..I just don't want to deal with the headaches (and lack of features) of old cars.

My sister has gone the 'all old' route, she sold her '04 Liberty yesterday, keeping the '84 500SEL (175k miles) and '92 300CE (120k miles), but since she's a traveling consultant, she's only home 3 days a week at most, so no daily commute. Those cars have been money pits, though, IMHO.

You are a brave man...I couldn't imagine have a daily driver older than 10-15 yrs old (my Jeep is 7 now)..I just don't want to deal with the headaches (and lack of features) of old cars.

My sister has gone the 'all old' route, she sold her '04 Liberty yesterday, keeping the '84 500SEL (175k miles) and '92 300CE (120k miles), but since she's a traveling consultant, she's only home 3 days a week at most, so no daily commute. Those cars have been money pits, though, IMHO.

I am the same way now. Much as I like driving the B-bodies I wouldnt want to deal with them as my only drivers. Too much of a chance of it needing something especially in the middle of winter. Although the two old ones start pretty well in the winter cold I wouldnt want to place bets on it when its -20 and they have been sitting in an open parking lot for 8-10 hours. Plus I am going to say it again that while it is not impossible to get around with RWD(Easier than I thought in the case of the Bonneville) I still prefer my AWD Equinox or a FWD car. I also like some of the features on the new cars that the old ones dont have. Power windows are a VERY nice thing. Power locks are another. Better rust resistance is a huge advantage to the new versus old argument.

Good luck to you Sixty-eight in your search for a car. Too bad I still didnt have the 1984 Buick Park Avenue that Dad and I worked on and sold when the niece decided she didnt want it. That thing ran like brand new. Too bad you sold the Caddie.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

Well, I'm one of the brave ones, too.

My daily is my '87 MC LS ... and it has been more reliable, all-year round, yes, including winter, than my former '00 Celebrity/Lumina/monte carlo LS ever was....

As for lack of features ... imo, the CL seats (more cushiony) in my '87 MC LS are a lot more comfortable than the buckets were in my Lumina. As for other things, well, I've been happy without 'em the last 4 years or so ... and was happy without 'em prior to that in my older 4 MCs. Not to mention less costs in insurance ... and, best of all, NO car payments!

Sixty8 ... sounds like you have a lead on a replacement car already...?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's not the car I want" ... George Jones ... 'The Corvette Song'

Edited by knightfan26917

Only trouble is doesnt the 1985 Caddie still have the troublesome 4100? I would pause about that. Other than that it looks good. Now if it was a 1986 with the Olds motor then sign me up.

Older luxury car = teh win.

You get your heat, air, power everything, leather interior, no car payments and lower insurance. Why spend $16,000 on a Cobalt when you can mint 1985 Fleetwood for half the price?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-CADILL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oddly enough the 80's-90's Cadillacs seem to have about zero resale around here. We've been doing a lot of remodel work lately, and I am a commercial electrician. We've been scraping a lot of copper wire, and ACE iron and metal where we take our wire scraps a lot of cars here in Columbus.

I've seen a lot of very clean Caddy's crushed whole because no one wants them. Recently a very clean 95 came in on a trailer with a tranny slip, car was pristine otherwise. Guy took $400 for the car, handed over the title and they crushed it whole while I was standing there.

We work for a customer who also buys and sells Cutlass/Monte Carlo (the real kind, with V8 and RWD) on the side as a business. He can't keep the cars around, and even ratty cars are bringing $1500/$2000 if they run.

That customer just crushed 3 caddy's (1991, 1994, 1996) that he had taken in trade/bought off the street because he couldn't sell them/no one wanted them.

Also, I thought of Sixty-eight the last time I was at ACE. They were crushing everything in the yard as fast as possible because they are getting new scales next week. Someone dropped off what looked like a very restorable early 1940's Lincoln. God knows why they dropped it off or if it is still there, but I thought of Sixty Eight when I saw that.

Sadly enough I also watched what looked like a clean 3rd gen Firebird with very little damage go into the crusher when I was there also.

Sorry for the rant, just sad to see these cars go.

Chris

I would never spend that kind of money (auction is at $9600 right now)

for an '80s car with a blue cloth interior... as nice as is it.

For almost 10K I'd get a '59-'62 Coupe deVille Hardtop in yellow with

a white interior or perhaps an Imperial from the same era, with a white

interior and only in a hardtop bodystyle.

I would never spend that kind of money (auction is at $9600 right now)

for an '80s car with a blue cloth interior... as nice as is it.

For almost 10K I'd get a '59-'62 Coupe deVille Hardtop in yellow with

a white interior or perhaps an Imperial from the same era, with a white

interior and only in a hardtop bodystyle.

I Loove early sixties Imperials!

We work for a customer who also buys and sells Cutlass/Monte Carlo (the real kind, with V8 and RWD) on the side as a business. He can't keep the cars around, and even ratty cars are bringing $1500/$2000 if they run.

Hmmm....Chris, this guy sounds like someone I need to talk to ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's a freedom that we all want to know" ... Restless Heart ... 'Wheels'

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, witness statement is on its way to all the right places.

This BULL$HIT might finally be almost over, thank god.

I still have not gotten a PENNY for my car or injuries & it has

been almost a month since the accident and three weeks

since the Datsun was determined a total loss... (duh)

Chris

You should get me in touch with him.... I'll take $2k for mine, no problem. :P

Ummmm.... in short because insurance companies are scum of the earth! That's why.

I'll explain all of this while the dust settles, but right now paperwork is flying back and forth.

Just wait till you hear the B.S. these people are putting me through... but it's all

good I'm almost ready to put the screws to them, just getting my ducks in line,

police reports, photographs etc.

Just wait till you hear the B.S. these people are putting me through... but it's all

good I'm almost ready to put the screws to them, just getting my ducks in line,

police reports, photographs etc.

Great to hear! I know these negotiations can be real scummy so I really hope for the best!

My grandparents went to court over an accident a while back, My grandpa was driving his vehicle up Edmonton Trail and the lights at Memorial Drive were on Red Flash, so he stops, checks for oncoming traffic, and having the right of way, moves on, and then a Pontiac Montana going 30KPH over the speed limit comes flying around a blind corner and clipped his bumper... Granddad thankfully walked away, and is lucky he wasn't T-Boned. Trouble is, not only was his pristine 1996 Windstar written off, but he became deaf in one ear from the sound the airbag deployment. He had to take the ditz who hit him to court and got, well, enough money. The lawyers did a physical who found out that the accident also cracked his spine. He has never been quite the same because the accident and the legal proceedings were extremely taxing- but it's at least some consolation that they took the other driver to the cleaners.

Yeah.... always carry a camera. Always.