Chrysler working on emergency overhaul of Avenger & Sebring interiors

DetroitNut90

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family has owned Chrysler's for generations with only the occasion GM product, which my grandparents told me they had bad experiences with. The Chrysler's my immediate family have owned have been good to us for the most part.

Which is why I really hope that there can be an improvement/change in the product lineup. I get discouraged easily, but am hopeful that there are good things coming from Chrysler.

Chris

My immediate family has driven american cars for a looong time. We've determined that we HATE fords, and like GM and Chrysler. The only cars that were horrid according to my dad was his 72 AMC Javelin(fell apart after a year) and an early 70's Ford Fairmont(a heap).

Besides that all the buicks, plymouths, chryslers and the saturn have been incrediblely reliable.

I just don’t understand this mentality. Chrysler, like GM, is a company owned by shareholders and operated by people. It is not a living entity – it doesn’t have feelings or reward your loyalty. If a car company builds a great car, then celebrate that product. If a car company produces numerous excellent cars over time, you can celebrate the lineage and excellence of those products and respect the organization that built them. However, the day that company starts building crap, stop buying their product, because there is absolutely NO point in rewarding a company for building garbage.

I have bought a number of BMW products because they have always proven to be fun and durable products that I enjoyed owning. I am now on my second Cadillac because I think Cadillac makes unique, fun and surprisingly good cars, nowadays. That said, I think GM is an interesting company, as much for its history as for its spectacular failures of the last 35 years. Let’s be honest, GM mostly built bland and poorly assembled crap during the 90’s, though occasionally had moments of brilliance (93-2002 F-Body, the 95-99 Aurora, C5 Vette, 92-97 Cadillac STS). If BMW started building bland, boring, or otherwise crap cars, I would say f-them. If GM returns to their 70’s, 80’s and 90’s malaise, then f-them too. I might still be interested in both companies, but I sure as hell am not going to continue buying their products out of loyalty – that’s doesn’t help me and, long term, it really doesn’t help the company.

Chrysler of this decade has shown moments of genius (the LX cars), but the Sebring, Avenger, Nitro, Compass and Caliber are, reliability aside, simply dreadful. Outside of getting one of these vehicles at some ridiculously low transaction price, NOBODY should buy these things. You are MUCH better off buying the infinity better GM, Ford and import options. If Chrysler LLC can’t be fixed, well that’s Cerberus’ (and its employees) problem, but there is no reason anyone should follow a brand or a company into the ground – they wouldn’t do the same for you.

Couldn't agree more with this one....

For profit corporations do not, and never will, exist to provide help or charity. They exist for one all consuming and singular purpose – to make money for their shareholders by providing products and services to customers in a profitable fashion. Everything else, no matter how generous, warm or comforting to employees, customers or the public, is done for the sole purpose of enabling and enhancing the company’s one real function, which is as it should be.

With that in mind, neither Chrysler nor the UAW “helped” you. Chrysler didn’t provide any of those benefits (via your father) out of kindness; it did it because it was part of the compensation and benefits package negotiated by the UAW on behalf of its PAYING members. Your FATHER helped you pay for your education by holding down a good job and (probably) working very hard for Chrysler, which in turn provided benefits to help pay for your education. Furthermore, the UAW is an organization your father PAID to be a member of, and thus, was providing benefits and protections as a result (just as surely as I pay for my AAA membership).

Credit your father alone, not Chrysler or the UAW because Chrysler was just doing what it was required to do in order to keep talent and the UAW was providing a service paid for by your father.

Very good way of looking at it...

Back to the interiors....

Based on the new Ram, I'd say there's hope that they can pull off something nice, I just hope it's no longer blocky in their cars...blocky designs are for trucks.

I also hope they fix the roofline of the Avenger and do A LOT with the exterior of the Sebring...although both could benefit from a longer wheelbase (more like the Journey's) but that's probably too much for an MCE.

fast....new interiors due NEXT MONTH

my guess is new leathers and plastics only maybe some gauge faces.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler-to-re...ng-the-axe.html

Wow, that was damn quick. I guess things really do happen quicker with a private company. I'm guessing there will be more contrast, and probably better grains on the plastic, and/or more soft-touch materials utilized.

Wow, that was damn quick. I guess things really do happen quicker with a private company. I'm guessing there will be more contrast, and probably better grains on the plastic, and/or more soft-touch materials utilized.

Will they be selling as 2009 models, you think? Or as the odd (to me, anyway) "2008.5" kind of thing?

Actually, I hate to eat crow to Ravenfreak and Dodgefan but...

Next door neighbors brother just bought a brand new white Avenger. Thjey had it out in the driveway this A.M. There does seem to be a real effort to improve assembly line build quality in these cars. I was rather impressed...does anyone have any actual information that is not heresay about any actual in-plant changes that Chryselr seems to be making?

There may be hope for Chrysler yet if they keep this up.

Chris

Actually, I hate to eat crow to Ravenfreak and Dodgefan but...

Next door neighbors brother just bought a brand new white Avenger. Thjey had it out in the driveway this A.M. There does seem to be a real effort to improve assembly line build quality in these cars. I was rather impressed...does anyone have any actual information that is not heresay about any actual in-plant changes that Chryselr seems to be making?

There may be hope for Chrysler yet if they keep this up.

Chris

I'll ask my friend when I see him next! :thumbsup:

I've been meaning to talk to him, to see if he has any info on the new interiors.

Interesting that Patriot and Compass get new interiors...their good Jeep models need new interiors also...the GC definitely could use an overhaul inside..too much hard, cheap, grained plastic for the price point (the previous generation GC interior was a lot nicer, IMHO).

Edited by moltar

Amazing,...it's nice to see Cerberus putting its money where it's mouth is and not just talking about changes but actually doing them, and at an amazing pace too. can't wai to see the new interiors...although the Compass still should be axed.

The article reg posted claims that the revised Sebring / Avenger will hit the market late in the month...so when do we get to see them?

I do hope they cleaned up the Sebring's exterior.

Edited by Dodgefan

give chrysler props for attemtping to fix something that customers take contention with, and not letting the beancounters have the means to say 'no'.

Agreed..it's the beancounters that are to blame for the crummy interiors they went to production with...

I'm interested to see how extensive the overhauls are.

I'm also interested to see if it's too little/too late for the vehicles. The market is saturated with good-to-great midsize sedans and compact CUVs with more on the way. Has their 15 minutes already passed... if so, then what?

I'm interested to see how extensive the overhauls are.

I'm also interested to see if it's too little/too late for the vehicles. The market is saturated with good-to-great midsize sedans and compact CUVs with more on the way. Has their 15 minutes already passed... if so, then what?

I wonder about that too.

Not entirely... Styling has little to do with budget. Even if the materials weren't the best, styling has been criticized too.

The Avenger's styling has been criticized, although I don't have a problem with most of the dash design besides the gauge cluster's design. The door panels could be better though. The Sebring's interior really hasn't been criticized for it's design, to the best of my knowledge.

It seems as though reviews don't have much of a beef with the sebring stylistically.

US News

Hot or not: Not quite. The Sebring's raked hood evokes the dynamic lines of the Chrysler's Crossfire, but the rest of the car looks bloated by contrast.
Cars.com

I don't find the Sebring especially attractive, but I commend Chrysler for taking a chance with the Sebring's looks instead of producing another conservatively styled midsize sedan.

Automobile Magazine

Its styling is divisive at best, it lacks the driver involvement of even a Honda Accord, and its most notable element is its radio (see sidebar). Not exactly a recipe for success.

And... Car and Driver

You’ll probably like what you don’t see better than what you can....

The inspiration behind the 2007 Sebring’s styling is the slippery and beautiful Airflite five-door concept from 2003, which itself was inspired by the Crossfire coupe. Clear connections to the Airflite can be seen in the Sebring’s straked hood, egg-crate grille, body sculpting, and stretched roofline. However, just as much was lost in translation as was kept when the big Airflite was shrunk into the Sebring, most notably the gorgeous boat tail rear end and fastback roofline. The result is awkward at best, just plain ugly at worst. Interestingly, Chrysler mentioned that among the Sebring’s early design proposals was one that looked like a junior 300. That doesn’t sound like such a bad thing, but they said it didn’t work. And this one did.

Finding criticism for the Sebring's styling, quality, or refinement isn't difficult.

Alot of people seemed to like the Compass Rallye at the autoshow. There were alot of people who never saw the Rallye package before, and were surprised to see it was the Jeep Compass. One guy that sat in it after me said that his girlfriend had a black Rallye on order:

enlarge_rallye_exterior.jpg

compassrallye2.jpg

I would probably consider one after the interior refresh. Now if they would only put the SRT-4 powertrain in it with the AWD and a 5-speed.

Alot of people seemed to like the Compass Rallye at the autoshow. There were alot of people who never saw the Rallye package before, and were surprised to see it was the Jeep Compass. One guy that sat in it after me said that his girlfriend had a black Rallye on order:

compassrallye2.jpg

I would probably consider one after the interior refresh. Now if they would only put the SRT-4 powertrain in it with the AWD and a 5-speed.

I still can't warm up to it, I wish it had been canceled instead of the Magnum.

From Yahoo Autos:

New and improved for 2007.

Chrysler has taken a daring tack with the new Sebring. While many car makers strive to carry over as much as they can of a new model's predecessor while still making it look different, the '07 Sebring's stylists tossed more than they kept of the previous generation's visuals. Even so, and despite the sweeping changes to the new Sebring's exterior, it's safe to label the redesign as more dramatic than radical.

Least startling in its revised look is the front end, although there, too, the changes are significant. The shape of the trademark grille survives but shrunken and positioned higher in the fascia. The car gets an honest front bumper, below which is a set of intakes, at least one of which actually functions to channel cooling air to the engine. Large, multi-element headlight assemblies fill the tops of the bumpers. The hood sports embossed strakes splaying back toward the windshield in a pattern intended to bless the Sebring with some of the sporty airs of the Crossfire, the Sebring's underrated, two-seater sibling.

The side of the 2007 Chrysler Sebring is decorated with creased character lines, a big change from the smooth flanks of the '06 model. Flowing rearward from the front quarter panels, these creases spread, expanding the distance between them and emphasizing the sharply outlined wedge shape of the '07 Sebring. Mild fender blisters circle the wheel openings. Body-color, anti-ding door moldings are optional on all trim levels. Side windows are framed in flat black. Door handles are body color on the base and Touring, chrome-finished on the Limited. Mirror housings are body color across the line.

The rear of the car is the most radical element of the Sebring's redesign, but it's radical in a contrarian way, showing more of a traditional trunk and bumper style than the '06's chopped off, Kammback-look. Where the '06's taillights bracketed the trunk lid, the '07's taillights bridge the seam between the lid and the rear fenders. A molded-in, micro-spoiler lip tops the trailing edge of the trunk lid, itself remarkably shallow, yielding a severely cramped trunk opening. The only jarring element is the inset backlight, which seems to be an effort, however futile, to enlarge the trunk opening while maintaining the desired top-to-bottom proportions of the new Sebring.

Summary

The new, 2007 Chrysler Sebring marks a significant step up in the brand's market standing. Styling, fit and finish and ride and handling make a strong statement about Chrysler's commitment to character and quality. With more attention to some relatively minor needs, the Sebring can be a worthy alternative to any in its class.

compassrallye2.jpg

Looking at that is no more pleasant than looking at an Aztek.

Finding criticism for the Sebring's styling, quality, or refinement isn't difficult.

That's some pretty wishy-washy criticism if you ask me...?

Speaking of criticism, I followed today what I believe to have been a Sebring retractible hardtop convertible of some kind. Were they made?

The top was up and it was NOT an attractive car from the rear IMO. Never seen one before, but it looked like a production car.

From Yahoo Autos:

New and improved for 2007.

Chrysler has taken a daring tack with the new Sebring. While many car makers strive to carry over as much as they can of a new model's predecessor while still making it look different, the '07 Sebring's stylists tossed more than they kept of the previous generation's visuals. Even so, and despite the sweeping changes to the new Sebring's exterior, it's safe to label the redesign as more dramatic than radical.

Least startling in its revised look is the front end, although there, too, the changes are significant. The shape of the trademark grille survives but shrunken and positioned higher in the fascia. The car gets an honest front bumper, below which is a set of intakes, at least one of which actually functions to channel cooling air to the engine. Large, multi-element headlight assemblies fill the tops of the bumpers. The hood sports embossed strakes splaying back toward the windshield in a pattern intended to bless the Sebring with some of the sporty airs of the Crossfire, the Sebring's underrated, two-seater sibling.

The side of the 2007 Chrysler Sebring is decorated with creased character lines, a big change from the smooth flanks of the '06 model. Flowing rearward from the front quarter panels, these creases spread, expanding the distance between them and emphasizing the sharply outlined wedge shape of the '07 Sebring. Mild fender blisters circle the wheel openings. Body-color, anti-ding door moldings are optional on all trim levels. Side windows are framed in flat black. Door handles are body color on the base and Touring, chrome-finished on the Limited. Mirror housings are body color across the line.

The rear of the car is the most radical element of the Sebring's redesign, but it's radical in a contrarian way, showing more of a traditional trunk and bumper style than the '06's chopped off, Kammback-look. Where the '06's taillights bracketed the trunk lid, the '07's taillights bridge the seam between the lid and the rear fenders. A molded-in, micro-spoiler lip tops the trailing edge of the trunk lid, itself remarkably shallow, yielding a severely cramped trunk opening. The only jarring element is the inset backlight, which seems to be an effort, however futile, to enlarge the trunk opening while maintaining the desired top-to-bottom proportions of the new Sebring.

Summary

The new, 2007 Chrysler Sebring marks a significant step up in the brand's market standing. Styling, fit and finish and ride and handling make a strong statement about Chrysler's commitment to character and quality. With more attention to some relatively minor needs, the Sebring can be a worthy alternative to any in its class.

You know what, Yahoo Autos is right! Someone needs to contact Chrysler right now and tell them to cancel the Emergency Overhaul! The public has spoken!

I'm not saying it's horrible, it's just out-classed and not what a brand new/remodeled 2007 Chrysler should be. Not even close. I've had one as a rental. My 1995 Chrysler Cirrus was better built, and had better interior materials. The only thing improved was the engine, since it wasn't built by Mitsubishi.

That's some pretty wishy-washy criticism if you ask me...?

Speaking of criticism, I followed today what I believe to have been a Sebring retractible hardtop convertible of some kind. Were they made?

The top was up and it was NOT an attractive car from the rear IMO. Never seen one before, but it looked like a production car.

See my response above. You're arguing against something that was obvious and desperately needed. Chrysler knows this. Why don't you?

See my response above. You're arguing against something that was obvious and desperately needed. Chrysler knows this. Why don't you?

LOL

ACTUALLY... I'm not really "arguing" at all.

Maybe RE-READ what I posted.

A- the criticisms you posted were wishy-washy criticisms. They were basically summed up by a "could be better" consensus.

B- I think the thread is about the INTERIOR, and the criticisms you posted weren't necessarily INTERIOR design criticisms.

You were stretching.

AGAIN.

:AH-HA_wink:

I'm just saying, It's not the heap that everyone here makes it out to be. Any emergency overhaul I am for...if it's an improvement then I'm all for it.

No car made today is a heap... No matter what you buy, it's going to be a decent car. To say nearly every car it competes with outclasses it, though, isn't stretching by any means. Accord? Superior. Fusion? Superior. Camry? Superior. Malibu? Superior. Altima? Superior. Sonata? Superior. Mazda6? Superior. Discarding styling, it's not as good as the majority of its competitors (course, for many, discarding styling helps its case). There is no getting around that.

Here, DodgeFan knows this, why don't YOU Ven?

LOL!

Har Har... fine... upon inspecting the articles, few were as critical about the interior's appearance as they were about the interior materials being beneath its class and the exterior styling being cobbled together.

Edmunds

Clean if unremarkable, the Sebring's cabin is defined by a simple control layout, comfortable front seats and mediocre materials.
Cars.com

The style inside was intriguing, with lots of strange shapes for the center console and steering wheel. It definitely had a retro, 1920s vibe to it. Again, like Mike points out, the poor quality of the actual materials led to the cabin failing as a place I’d want to be for even a short commute. While Chrysler has pulled off some superior products in some segments lately, like the new Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Nitro, the Sebring is a stark disappointment.

New York Times

Without all those optional features, even the basic interior can provide endless entertainment. There are more puzzles and clues to unravel than “The Da Vinci Code”; the designers adorned practically every inch of the cabin with variations of the winged Chrysler logo. How many can you count? Hint: To find the biggest one, check out the entire dashboard. Somewhere there, you’ll also find the smallest. There are dozens.

Gimmickry abounds outside, too, starting with grooves cut into the hood. Character lines and angles crease the sheet metal from stem to stern. To create excitement, Chrysler is trying every trick short of adding a law-enforcement light kit.

Kudos for the thought, if not the execution.

Channel 4 - UK - Kinda unfair... since it's a foreign review.

It should be basically structurally solid, but the attention to detail is poor; cars we've seen so far had loose trim, uneven panel gaps and inexplicable rattles, squeaks and hums.

The general finish - materials and plastics used for the cabin - is also well behind that of even the Korean manufacturers these days, looking pretty cheap and nasty in places.

Autoweek

The exterior design is nice enough, and the interior is adequate. Putting texture on top of it takes some of the cheap-looking sheen away, but touching it does not give the sense of quality of an Accord or a Camry (I did complain that the latest Camry’s interior felt cheapened from the previous model). In fact, the new Chevrolet Malibu, the Saturn Aura and even the Ford Fusion look richer inside. Even if you’d aimed at the Hyundai Sonata, you’d do better than this.

I stand corrected. If only the competition took as much pride in their cars inside and out.

Har Har... fine... upon inspecting the articles, few were as critical about the interior's appearance as they were about the interior materials being beneath its class and the exterior styling being cobbled together.

Edmunds

Cars.com

New York Times

Channel 4 - UK - Kinda unfair... since it's a foreign review.

Autoweek

I stand corrected. If only the competition took as much pride in their cars inside and out.

Like I said, read the comments YOU posted...

This is the kind of comment I see most...

Clean if unremarkable

That's a wishy washy comment if I ever heard one..?

I'm not sure this is a great quote to use as an insult either....

Kudos for the thought, if not the execution.

Another wishy washy

The exterior design is nice enough, and the interior is adequate

"Adequate" isn't horrendous. Not to me. It's not a leader in it's class, but it's far from what you pretend it is. I think we BOTH know that.

;)

The "competition" has the same problems, lack of material quality comments are all over reviews for all brands.

Yes, ALL.

You need to get over your fixation and LIVE A LITTLE!

lol

"Adequate" isn't horrendous. Not to me. It's not a leader in it's class, but it's far from what you pretend it is. I think we BOTH know that.

;)

The "competition" has the same problems, lack of material quality comments are all over reviews for all brands.

Yes, ALL.

You need to get over your fixation and LIVE A LITTLE!

lol

Uhm... where did I say the interior was Horrendous? Now who's misquoting who? :scratchchin:

I said the interior styling has been "criticized..." :P

I also stated "I'm not saying it's horrible, it's just out-classed and not what a brand new/remodeled 2007 Chrysler should be."

:fryingpan:

Uhm... where did I say the interior was Horrendous? Now who's misquoting who? :scratchchin:

I said the interior styling has been "criticized..." :P

I also stated "I'm not saying it's horrible, it's just out-classed and not what a brand new/remodeled 2007 Chrysler should be."

:fryingpan:

You're gettin better!

:thumbsup:

My question is why are you so hell bent on trying to find others criticizing the design? If you don't like that's fine, but is it worth it to scour the internet for article that criticize the design? I, for one, happen o like it, with the exception of the center console. I don't like how the shifter seems just kinda plopped there with a ring around it. Feels like an after thought, and there could be more detailing around the cupholders. The dash is nice overall, and distinctive, it is, as many have pointed out, including the reviews you've posted, the materials that are being criticized not really the design.

I can think of one review where it was liked and complimented, even on the materials. The C&D comparo between the Mustang, G6, and Sebring convertibles. Granted the bar is set pretty low there :P

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they do with the interior. I'm hoping all the models getting makeovers inside get design tweaks not just better materials. And I'm hoping for integration.

Edited by Dodgefan

My question is why are you so hell bent on trying to find others criticizing the design? If you don't like that's fine, but is it worth it to scour the internet for article that criticize the design? I, for one, happen o like it, with the exception of the center console. I don't like how the shifter seems just kinda plopped there with a ring around it. Feels like an after thought, and there could be more detailing around the cupholders. The dash is nice overall, and distinctive, it is, as many have pointed out, including the reviews you've posted, the materials that are being criticized not really the design.

I can think of one review where it was liked and complimented, even on the materials. The C&D comparo between the Mustang, G6, and Sebring convertibles. Granted the bar is set pretty low there :P

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they do with the interior. I'm hoping all the models getting makeovers inside get design tweaks not just better materials. And I'm hoping for integration.

You're correct in that either the Avenger or the Sebring, the interior certainly LOOKS good. It's when you get up close and start touching the surfaces, feeling the controls, that the air of cheapness sets in.

It's certainly not badly designed by any stretch - all the cool features like the extra lighting and the glovebox cooler are impressive. But it's the execution that's lacking. Which is what I think (I hope) they're planning to address with the redesign.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought the reviewer should have been kinder to the Chrysler product. they seemed to have some below the surface doubts about the G6 but still put it in first place.

Chris