Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Debate not yet settled, but Lutz thinks Impala will be FWD

Drew Dowdell

He will simply reiterate what he said in his statement to the press. What is it about NO, you guys just don't understand? I swear y'all sound like a bunch of spoiled children. :P Go ahead write him, I'd love to see that answer. :rotflmao: Thank God all GM email addresses will be changing to our EDSNET ID's soon, and this is exactly why. :smilewide:

I already wrote him and told him my stance (if there is to be an Impala, it should be RWD, a FWD EPII model is too similar to a Malibu) and his reply was something like, "You should be on product planning."

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest YellowJacket894
He will simply reiterate what he said in his statement to the press. What is it about NO, you guys just don't understand? I swear y'all sound like a bunch of spoiled children. :P Go ahead write him, I'd love to see that answer. :rotflmao: Thank God all GM email addresses will be changing to our EDSNET ID's soon, and this is exactly why. :smilewide:

I don't mean to go off topic here, but what has happened with you, Custom?

You lent some real personality to C&G at one time, but now ... good God, man. Just quit with this $h! already.

I already wrote him and told him my stance (if there is to be an Impala, it should be RWD, a FWD EPII model is too similar to a Malibu) and his reply was something like, "You should be on product planning."

Hell, half of us here should be on product planning while all the little morons we replace all line up for a little shooting practice at the RenCen.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I don't mean to go off topic here, but what has happened with you, Custom?

You lent some real personality to C&G at one time, but now ... good God, man. Just quit with this $h! already.

The same thing that happens to all "insiders" that blog, for the most part (*cough, evok, cough*) ,it becomes a powertrip.

I personally have nothing against PCS, and I find him funny a lot of time. But, hell, who knows if half of the stuff he says is even true or not. I know if I were an insider, I wouldn't risk my job by letting everyone know what was ACTUALLY going on.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Guest YellowJacket894
The same thing that happens to all "insiders" that blog, for the most part (*cough, evok, cough*), it becomes a powertrip.

Well ... ah, I'll bit down on what I was going to say.

I personally have nothing against PCS, and I find him funny a lot of time. But, hell, who knows if half of the stuff he says is even true or not. I know if I were an insider, I wouldn't risk my job by letting everyone know what was ACTUALLY going on.

I don't have anything against him, either. He used to be a great source of personality on the forums at one time, in my opinion. Recently, it's like he's just ... bullying, I guess, for lack of a better term.

Hmph.

Then, in that case, why on earth is Ch#$r%*et/GM (from what has been reported, anyway) killing the RWD Impala and keeping the FWD Celebrity/Lumina/impala?

*shakes head*

It just don't make no sense.....

FWIW, Northie ... I think you should be working for GM in product planning, too....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Just another regret" ... All-American Rejects ... 'Dirty Little Secret'

I don't have anything against him, either. He used to be a great source of personality on the forums at one time, in my opinion. Recently, it's like he's just ... bullying, I guess, for lack of a better term.

Well, if what PCS says is true and it does actually come to pass... is it bullying or just trying to prepare everyone for reality?

PRETTY BIRD :AH-HA_wink:

Ven has a point, though. What if all this horrible stuff Borger is hinting at actually comes to pass? Will any of us even continue to care about GM?

Edited by ocnblu

PRETTY BIRD :AH-HA_wink:

Ven has a point, though. What if all this horrible stuff Borger is hinting at actually comes to pass? Will any of us even continue to care about GM?

That would be Mr. Börger to you. You know since I've changed and all! :AH-HA_wink: Now where are my Assistants, where are all my God Damn Assistants? :rolleyes:

With the upcoming mileage regs and a dying full-sized sedan buyer population is it worth making an Impala at all in 2010-2011?

Who's buying "full-sized" sedans anyway? Isn't it mostly older empty-nesters? The Ford sedan sales are down (Panther and D3). The LX sales are down (lots of fleet too). Buick is shifting towards an ES and RX competitor and away from 6-passenger, column-shifted, bench-seated traditional stuff. Avalon is an incremental seller.

Plus a bigger Ep-II Malibu will cover the market even better. Chevy should rename that car the "Impala" and then rename the Delta offering "Malibu." This would be much more forward-thinking in a world of 35 mpg.

Face it ladies: V-8s, RWD and traditional large sedans are fading away.

Edited by buyacargetacheck

i think the consumers can still make a stand... maybe. remember the big stink when the ford probe came out? ford had to hustle to appease the pony car fans or there was going to be a riot in the streets. i dont know i would instigate a riot but i would show em the finger once or twice.

Chevy should rename that car the "Impala" and then rename the Delta offering "Malibu."

What about offering a Delta "Cobalt" (global model that replaces the Optra), a swb EpII "Malibu" (global, replacing Epica), and a lwb EpII "Impala" (US and a few other markets where bigger sedans remain relevant)?

Sorry if I've missed it, but would someone please explain why Carl-Peter has so much power, perhaps to overule even Bob Lutz? Is it because the mid-size products are planned by GM Europe? Or why, after all the good Lutz has done for GM, why anyone would challenge and question him? (I'm not saying that ANYone is right 100% of the time, etc., I'm just saying that Lutz has done a lot to right GM's problems, more than others in my opinion.)

Sorry if I've missed it, but would someone please explain why Carl-Peter has so much power, perhaps to overule even Bob Lutz? Is it because the mid-size products are planned by GM Europe? Or why, after all the good Lutz has done for GM, why anyone would challenge and question him? (I'm not saying that ANYone is right 100% of the time, etc., I'm just saying that Lutz has done a lot to right GM's problems, more than others in my opinion.)

<speculation>

Lutz is retiring sooner or later, and CPF is in line to replace him (or replace Rick Wagonner) ? Or GM Europe will be the central source of power in GM eventually, as GM NA dwindles from importance...

</speculation>

Edited by moltar

thegriffon: Thank you for your response. So then are the 3 variants of the G8 (4-door, ute, wagon) lip-service to Pontiac. Do you think they will fail in the marketplace? If their Alpha / small RWD proposal has been discarded, does GM, literally, have no plans for Pontiac other than rebadges?

moltar: Thank you very much for your response. I can understand, given those facts. (So does part of Pontiac-Custom-S' "TICK TOCK" have to do with Lutz's forthcoming / eventual retirement, or is it more of Pontiac fading away or ???)

My thoughts were purely speculative, but it sounds like Herr Bulger/PCS is one of CPF's henchmen, so he has a place in the future grand plans..

I can understand what you've described (lessening of importance of GMNA, etc.). I guess I'm one who's resistant to change. I just turned 50 in December. It doesn't make me happy at all if (i.e., that) Pontiac is being ignored. Pontiac was always my second favorite GM make, after Buick.

With the upcoming mileage regs and a dying full-sized sedan buyer population is it worth making an Impala at all in 2010-2011?

Who's buying "full-sized" sedans anyway? Isn't it mostly older empty-nesters? The Ford sedan sales are down (Panther and D3). The LX sales are down (lots of fleet too). Buick is shifting towards an ES and RX competitor and away from 6-passenger, column-shifted, bench-seated traditional stuff. Avalon is an incremental seller.

Plus a bigger Ep-II Malibu will cover the market even better. Chevy should rename that car the "Impala" and then rename the Delta offering "Malibu." This would be much more forward-thinking in a world of 35 mpg.

Hmmm.... Hyundai seems to think the opposite. The market might shrink for V8 and large sedans, but I doubt it'll ever disappear. as for RWD; what exactly does that have to do with anything? (CAFE-wise)

• 2 weeks later...

Ad the sales of the LX, G-Bodies, W-Bodies, Avalon, D3, and so on and you figure it out. Assuming that "older empty-nester" buy them is an ignorant statement. Try again.

The G-Platform cars (not the W-platform) competed with Chrysler's LH & LX vehicles:

Bonneville = Intrepid/Charger

LeSabre/Park Avenue/Aurora = Concorde/LHS/300M/300

I believe GM's combined G-Platform sales of Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile always outsold Chrysler's LH/LX cars until the Bonneville, Aurora, & Park Avenue were discontinued.

The G-Platform cars (not the W-platform) competed with Chrysler's LH & LX vehicles:

Bonneville = Intrepid/Charger

LeSabre/Park Avenue/Aurora = Concorde/LHS/300M/300

I believe GM's combined G-Platform sales of Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile always outsold Chrysler's LH/LX cars until the Bonneville, Aurora, & Park Avenue were discontinued.

But the Impala at least is considered a large car.

Anyway my point wasn't who sold more of what it's that a lot of large sized cars have been and continue to be sold.

Well, I had a tough time deciding between an 06 Impala SS or a Buick Lucerne; i ultimately went with the Impala because of the price, but I loved the Lucerne's style and the way it drove, especially in V8 mode. If GM took the Lucerne and made it into a Impala or Caprice, that would work great with me.