Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Grand Prix Phase Out

The name shouldn't die, I hate alphanumeric naming schemes. The V8 Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse and GP GXP should have been on the market years before they actually were. Edited by ocnblu

I concur with 'blu on this one. It's a good name, but its on an old tired car that the name just doesn't fit. Unfortunately, the car ruined the name. The G8 should have been called the Grand Prix and the Grand Am name should have stayed on what we know as the G6.

But G6 is easier for Avis to print on the key tag than Grand Am. Shows Pontiac marketing finally realized who their customer was.

The current GP can't die soon enough for me. If Pontiac hadn't wasted the name on 4 door rental cars starting in the late 80s, they could have used the name "Grand Prix" on the Monaro when it was imported into the US instead of calling it a GTO. Would have made a great successor IMO to the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ.

I just HOPE this is just a rumor and I pray to god that they haven't STOP making it, since I am going to the dealer in about two weeks to reserve one. It will be a STUPID move for GM since they already annouced that it will stay until 2008 model year, not 2007. I would NEVER want to waste my money on that stupid looking G8 that is even more expensive. GM is forcing me to hate them.

I just HOPE this is just a rumor and I pray to god that they haven't STOP making it, since I am going to the dealer in about two weeks to reserve one. It will be a STUPID move for GM since they already annouced that it will stay until 2008 model year, not 2007. I would NEVER want to waste my money on that stupid looking G8 that is even more expensive. GM is forcing me to hate them.

The Grand Prix is only sold to fleets(above 60%), and they sell for lower prices than the G6. That is not good for GM, and should have been killed a long time ago. The G8 will probably match the retail sales of the Grand Prix, at much higher prices. Pontiac's image is not in a good place, and the Grand Prix is only dragging it lower. The G8 will start to reverse Pontiac's bad image.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

we are already in the 2008 model year, so even if they killed it already, they arent lying about building 2008's...

good riddance... 1 more w body in history!

The Grand Prix is only sold to fleets(above 60%), and they sell for lower prices than the G6. That is not good for GM, and should have been killed a long time ago. The G8 will probably match the retail sales of the Grand Prix, at much higher prices. Pontiac's image is not in a good place, and the Grand Prix is only dragging it lower. The G8 will start to reverse Pontiac's bad image.

Still, it's a STUPID move to kill a car even before an announced model year is passed. I've been working to get enough money to order the car, now I can't. If this is true, I would like to say F*** You GM.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Still, it's a STUPID move to kill a car even before an announced model year is passed. I've been working to get enough money to order the car, now I can't. If this is true, I would like to say F*** You GM.

Ehh, Toyota did it with the old turd. Usually, the production is assigned and began long before the start of a MY into the dealer showroom. For retooling and other logistics, may be Grand Prix dates of closure were earlier, you cannot call those moves stupid if there is no demand, right?

Ehh, Toyota did it with the old turd. Usually, the production is assigned and began long before the start of a MY into the dealer showroom. For retooling and other logistics, may be Grand Prix dates of closure were earlier, you cannot call those moves stupid if there is no demand, right?

Right...I'm sure Avis had plenty enough '07s to keep them going through this year.

I contacted my local Pontiac dealer as well, but according to him, he wasn't sure, he told me that the Dealers are usually the last ones to know. Oh well......

Even if you can't order it, dealers have them and they can pull one from any other dealer if yours doesnt have what you want. Make him do a dealer search or you can do it yourself @ http://www.pontiac.com .

Just been to the dealer, and they informed me that they usually get an E-mail from GM, if the certain models are closed for orderring, but since they haven't got anything yet in regards to the 'stopping production' for the '08 Grand Prix, he said that it may be just a rumor, and I hope that is true. He asked me back then, if that's the case, how will they fill all the orders that may come in since it's only January. He told me that they got an E-mail a month before closing the order for '08 Vibe, but they haven't received anything in regards to Grand Prix.

Also, I was lucky enough to find that the Dealer located 3 cars in the other dealers that had exact options I wanted. I may have to try and hurry to make enough money to grab that one. Now, if only I can cut the price down further from $25,930(minus whatever rebate they have, which is around $1,500 right now) asking price from that dealer, since that dealer is only about few miles away from my home. Don't want to travel too far.

I just hope it isn't true that they stopped making the Grand Prix, which I fell in love with. The dealer had 2 2008's on the lot which I sat on(too bad they didn't have black nor with leather). The more I look at it, I love it even more.

I have a question though, who bought Grand Prix's if there's any here, is on-star free for a certain time? or do I have to get it whether I like it or not?, since the sticker saids it has it on every single Grand Prix I saw, no matter which dealer I went to, on both, the sedan and the GXP. Buddy of mine told me it isn't really worth it, but I was just wonderring, that do I have to stick with it(does it come with it in the first place)? or is it an option that I don't have to get, that I can remove it if I can save a few bucks? Which I forgot to ask the dealer.

Thanx.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

on star comes with it.. it usually comes with a year free subscription, and you have to pay after that

congrats on getting close to your dream car

You mean, I can't cancel it after an year? That sucks.... :( btw, that's a beautiful sig, PCS. Though I am not getting red since my current Grandam is Red. ;)

You mean, I can't cancel it after an year? That sucks.... :( btw, that's a beautiful sig, PCS. Though I am not getting red since my current Grandam is Red. ;)

You just tell them you're not going to renew your subscription after the year is up. Thanks, I like it. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Grand Prix... Dream car... I'm sorry, but those two do not go together in regards to the current gen. :P

I love the W and G Bodies unlike most of the folks here, Give me 50 Grand and I guarantee to you I'd order a LaCrosse Super in Cocoa within the hour.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Give me 50 grand and Ill get half a dozen cars that are each guaranteed to be better in every way. :P

For 50 grand I'd order a G8 then take a vacation to Australia to watch it be built.

The W-body GP is an OK car on its own merits, but considering what it replaced, and what will be replacing it, its death isn't exactly a sad occasion for many. That's about as nice as I can say it.

• 2 months later...
Let's all remember the Grand Prix as we should...perhaps as a red 67 ragtop driving down the blue ridge parkway in North Carolina...

Or the bronze '71 that a neighbor had when I was a kid in Ohio...I love the sculptured bodywork of that style.

No, this is dedicated to the outgoing W-body Grand Prix.

Don't let the door hit ya on the spoiler on the way out. :smilewide:

Ugh....we only have GM to blame for this car's demise.....

From what I remember, the original GM-10 GP coupe was a half-hearted effort.....the sedan version that came out was a bastadized rush-to-market job because "we-totally-missed-the-market-with-the-coupe-only-version."

Then, the next gen was a pretty decent car...and started Pontiac's trend away from add-on "ribbed" plastic cladding.

....but then they came out with this current gen GP which has been pretty lame all around. I remember seeing where the current GP was running 75% fleet penetration.

As a present GP owner I also agree it was over due.

Most info I have seen concure the last GP was 11-30-07 and the line is already putting out Impala's Keep in mind they have to have it up and ready for the Pilot cars of the Camaro in about 6-7 months. The Camaro is on time and should be in dealers next Feb.

I have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a 1963 GP with a [non stock] 421, and a 69 with a 428 HO. I even go to drive a 69 428 with a leather interior and 4 speed once. I wish I knew where that onw was today.

I too do not like the G names but the old names have been used and abused so much they mean little to anyone outside Pontiac circles anymore. If they do mean anything it is in a negitive way any how.

I own a 04 GP Comp G today and it does what I need it to do. It keeps the wife happy and it drive ok for a FWD. Besides when you can get a car that stickered at 32K for 24K new you don't pass it up. Pontiac did not make much on my deal.

The GP was ribbed out a long time ago and was well past it's prime. while it may have been one of GM's top FWD cars it just shows how bad the others were. I even had a 1990 GP that was one piece of crap.

Now having been in a G8 I can say I can't wait to replace our GP with a G8. While the G8 may not be perfect it is once giant step beyond what I have now.

Who knows I might find the right emblem of a lesser known and less abused Pontiac name like 2+2, Grandville or Vetura to put on the G8 just to be different.