Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Grand Prix Phase Out

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned 2 - a 90 and a 91. Both coupes. They were nice cars. Great for the task of being daily drivers (something I will NEVER abuse my Trans Am by doing to it). Lots of back seat room and huge trunks with plenty of pick-up.

The later model GTPs were really cool looking too. I loved the HUD.

The problem with the Grand Prix, is it became a Sedan, and then a Sedan only. The only thing worse than FWD is 4 doors. Combined..? ugh

The G8 should not ne called Grand Prix though, it should be called Bonneville. The G6 should be the Grand Prix, and the G5 should be the Grand Am. Or, instead of Grand Am, maybe something else, but this letter/number bull$h! has got to stop.

The Monaro was fine as a short lived GTO. It was a really nice car. The Holden Coupe 60 HAS to be a Trans Am though. Nobody wanted the GTO after the Judge, and they didn't want to the Holden based on either. :censored: Lutz..... :banghead:

As for the $50 Grand notion, I'd buy a G6 Coupe (maybe a hard top vert) (instead of another used Grand Prix, as I will need another beater and don't have new car money at this very second), drop half of the rest on my Trans Am (Headers, lid, tune, wheels and tires, dynamatting, K-Member, clutch, sway bars, etc), and sink the remainder into my house. lol

Though a base Solstice might be a tempting summer DD. Especially the Coupe.....

• 1 month later...

got about 50 miles in this weekend driving the FIL's 2008 GP GT. Makes me wonder if i should give a second consideration to finding (there are plenty out right now) a good used 08 GXP GP as my next vehicle.

anyone here, can give opinion on the mpg and the power and such? I have tested a GXP, i just can't recall much other than wanting a 6 speed auto instead of the lazy 4. I liked the paddle shifters but that doesn't help any with only 4 speeds at your disposal.

got about 50 miles in this weekend driving the FIL's 2008 GP GT. Makes me wonder if i should give a second consideration to finding (there are plenty out right now) a good used 08 GXP GP as my next vehicle.

anyone here, can give opinion on the mpg and the power and such? I have tested a GXP, i just can't recall much other than wanting a 6 speed auto instead of the lazy 4. I liked the paddle shifters but that doesn't help any with only 4 speeds at your disposal.

if you don't care about design or newness, the comp g GTP or whatever is sold that is currently like it would probably be a screaming bargain and a great car to drive. when those first came out i always liked them, and they're a much more conscious choice in light of gas prices. they still have the supercharged 3800, which was known for great mileage and punch.