Here's a positive idea

I'm sure some of you are aware that from time-to-time GM performance parts develops packages for past models to increase performance legally. The kits meet all federal requirements just as the original equiptment did. Installling them voilates no regulations as they are engineered by the OEM to meet all standards.

My idea is that GM (and all OEMs for that matter) should develop retrofit kits of this sort to allow existing cars and trucks to run on alternative fuels. This would further the cause of getting alternative fuel infrastructure up and running by expanding the customer base much faster.

The government could help by removing any regulatory roadblocks that might exist and by incentivising the development of such kits with CAFE and or Tax credits.

I would definitely go for an E-85 kit for the Cobalt. Especially considering that I work for a place that will in the near future install an E-85 pump at the on-site gas station.

These kits already exist in the aftermarket as far as E-85 goes. Though I'm not sure the kits pass all the regs. I thought I heard once emissions was the problem with those kits.

Edit: Yea here's the lowdown. I suspect many people are putting the kits on their car anyway. At least in states with no emissions test.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php

Details?

Well just google "E85 conversion kits" There are companies out there selling them. Though some of them seem to be "companies."

http://www.change2e85.com/

http://www.mye85kit.com/

http://flextek.com/

http://flexfuelus.com/

(That last one has the only EPA approved system for certain fleet cars. I would imagine they are slaving away on an approved system for the masses.)

Just read your edit, that's why it needs to be an OEM thing (at least at first).

Not necessarily...if some small start up company figures it out first, more power to them.

It'd be pretty easy for any of the big Tier 1 suppliers to buy up the idea or even the whole company.

The big challenge would be to get the brain-dead politicians to understand the positives.

Well the EPA approved this kit. It's a start.

Im sure that gave the company who made the kit guidance on what to do for an approved kit that the masses can buy. You can be sure they are slaving away on a kit that would met the regs. for everyone. The profit/buyout potential would be fairly significant.

Well the FDA approved this kit. It's a start. Im sure that gave the company who made the kit guidance on what to do for an approved kit that the masses can buy.

Food and Drug Administration did what? If you're suggesting we feed E85 to all the politicians.... I'm on board. :yes:

Yeah, the rules with the fuel system are actually just like the deal with the emissions equipment on your car, its actually a federal offense to do something like take the catalytic converter off your vehicle and not put an OEM-like one back on. Although most people don't really follow that one.

Great minds think alike.

I originally got this idea a few years back when I watched

the movie Gatica... (fantastic flick BTW)

There's a slew of classic cars in the movie, but they are

all converted to (what sounds like) electric power.

This past summer I remember telling my buddy who thinks

the B-59s milage is atrocious that someday when his Ford

Ranger is a recycled soup can I'll be running my car on

recycled apple cores & moonshine, untill a commercially

available source of fuel comes about for the ICE.

I think this is a very safe prediction. Good thinkning Camino.

Yup!

My campaign slogan will be:

Keep your V8, trade in your gas station. :P

I'm currently working on a plan where I could fill up my tank with

little cute bunnies and kitty cats and they would some how burn

off as nuclear waste, gasseous asbestos & radon.

Just to piss of Peta.

(I'm really an animal lover spare me the hate mail) :P

I'm currently working on a plan where I could fill up my tank with

little cute bunnies and kitty cats and they would some how burn

off as nuclear waste, gasseous asbestos & radon.

Just to piss of Peta.

(I'm really an animal lover spare me the hate mail) :P

I'm still for my idea of just using human blood... I'm already plotting a roadtrip :D

Guest YellowJacket894
I'm still for my idea of just using human blood... I'm already plotting a roadtrip :D

Your roadtrip only needs one stop: Washington D.C. Just bust down the doors at Congress and start feeding all the congressmen to grinder with a bucket under it to collect the "fuel." Feel free to walk about 70 yards away to the White House and make a visit to the Oval Office, while you're there. :AH-HA_wink:

Your roadtrip only needs one stop: Washington D.C. Just bust down the doors at Congress and start feeding all the congressmen to grinder with a bucket under it to collect the "fuel." Feel free to walk about 70 yards away to the White House and make a visit to the Oval Office, while you're there. :AH-HA_wink:

The Whitehouse is way more than 70 yards from Congress. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Guest YellowJacket894
The Whitehouse is way more than 70 yards from Congress. :smilewide:

Chalk that up as a very rough estimate. :smilewide:

As with my fellow countrymen, I have no idea in hell how far apart the two are. :pbjtime:

Chalk that up as a very rough estimate. :smilewide:

As with my fellow countrymen, I have no idea in hell how far apart the two are. :pbjtime:

Not sure how far it is...but I walked from the White House to the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol steps in one afternoon in 1996..

Guest YellowJacket894
Not sure how far it is...but I walked from the White House to the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol steps in one afternoon in 1996..

Too bad ya didn't have a tape measure on ya! :P