More Camaro Spy Pics

z28luvr01

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the truck, Top Row (left to right):

WM Holden Caprice, Holden Commodore SS (different wheels than usual, Lumina LTZ?), Chevrolet Camaro, HSV Maloo (c'mon guys, get the name right!! Its known as a HSV, not a Holden)

Botton row (left to right):

Hollden Commodore SS Sportswagon, HSV GTS, Holden Commodore SS, Chevrolet Camaro. The HSV's would be there powertrain/suspension work as well as more cold weather testing (Vauxhall are interested in more HSV variants) , the remainder for comparison with the Camaro, data gathering and cold weather testing (Opel still interested in the Caprice?)

In violation of the new UAW contract?

Edit: okay... I went back and reread the posts. We'll have to wait and see.

Based on PCS's comments... the only way I can see the STS/DTS replacement and Lucerne being cancelled at LGR is if those two are built in China and then imported.

Guest YellowJacket894

Just for comparison's sake:

camarointdcukgped-1.jpg

Camaro-Interior-1-450.jpg

I ... can't help it ... these earlier comments bug me.

Someone commented it looked like the interior of 1988 Chevrolet Beretta.

Ask 'em what they were smoking for me, Custom, if you get the chance.

90cbint.jpg

camarointdcukgped-1.jpg

Whatever it was, it sounds like fun! :smilewide:

with the ugly ass interior i see in the spy photos of that camaro, i'd say it's a bonda fide threat to not sell.

holy crap that is a TERRIBLE interior. design, plastics, i don't care if its preproduction. they seriously cannot be making that available for public sale.

partially reminds me of a mid 90's prelude interior and also of the dump i took an hour ago.

between that and cancelling the new northstar, bad GM rears its ugly head again.

[Then later, after Custom's post ...]

my sister had a beretta. that interior didn't induce vomiting.

mustang looks like a luxury car in comparison.

if i were an exec, and saw that interior was the result, i'd cancel the project on the spot and fire those responsible.

for crying out louds, those are cheap ass malibu seats even. My God, you don't put Malibu seats in a Camaro for crying out loud.

Oh, dear God, reg. Get real. Guess you want the days of the cheap, old Delco cassette decks and Corsica "rich" plastics back, huh? Common sense will tell you GM will more than clean things up before the first examples make their way to the customers.

Edited by YellowJacket894

On the truck, Top Row (left to right):

WM Holden Caprice, Holden Commodore SS (different wheels than usual, Lumina LTZ?), Chevrolet Camaro, HSV Maloo (c'mon guys, get the name right!! Its known as a HSV, not a Holden)

Botton row (left to right):

Hollden Commodore SS Sportswagon, HSV GTS, Holden Commodore SS, Chevrolet Camaro. The HSV's would be there powertrain/suspension work as well as more cold weather testing (Vauxhall are interested in more HSV variants) , the remainder for comparison with the Camaro, data gathering and cold weather testing (Opel still interested in the Caprice?)

the wagon may be a sv6 without seeing the exuast pipes 2=6 4=8 the yellow-green ss is ssv bigger wheels,brakes and pontiac g8 interior and leather and tail and headlights are all different

whitecaptt8.jpg

Forget the Camaro! This is the Chevy I want. Call it a Caprice or call it an Impala, I don't care really. Forget the 2nd rate Aussie powertrains though. It's time to modernize the powertrains and keep it one step above the Malibu (RWD or not). Let's say...

(1) A DI version of the LLV 2.9 liter I4 with ~230hp mated to an alternator motor, NiMH batterypack and a 6L50 6A for a "Hybrid" for the tree huggers. starting ~$29K

(2) A LLT 3.6 liter (DI) V6 with 304hp and an 6L50 6A for the mainstream trims. starting ~$29K

(3) A LS3 6.2 liter V8 with ~420 horses for the SS with a 6L80 6A ~$36K

There, you have a flag ship model for Chevy.

whitecaptt8.jpg

Forget the Camaro! This is the Chevy I want. Call it a Caprice or call it an Impala, I don't care really. Forget the 2nd rate Aussie powertrains though. It's time to modernize the powertrains and keep it one step above the Malibu (RWD or not). Let's say...

(1) A DI version of the LLV 2.9 liter I4 with ~230hp mated to an alternator motor, NiMH batterypack and a 6L50 6A for a "Hybrid" for the tree huggers. starting ~$29K

(2) A LLT 3.6 liter (DI) V6 with 304hp and an 6L50 6A for the mainstream trims. starting ~$29K

(3) A LS3 6.2 liter V8 with ~420 horses for the SS with a 6L80 6A ~$36K

There, you have a flag ship model for Chevy.

that sounds really great. change the idea of the mainstream model to one with a 3.0 DI with 220 hp and over 32 mpg highway, starting at 26k. offer dual mode hybrid version with 3.0 DI, more hp, 44 mpg at least, $33k. eat the costs of the hybrids, watch them fly. the upgraded LLT with 304 hp sounds like a hot model, with hot power, average American really does not need that level of power. perhaps a 2.2 DI with 180 hp and over 35 mpg if it can be achieved could be offered, at 25k. there you have a plan that includes Zeta in a volume sense realistically and raises the price of Chevys for the new high mileage high gasoline priced world.

The current Impy is no flagship, but that is known.

One last thing, have the style reflect a truly desirable American sedan! unique and beautiful, No Commodore warm-over, athletic as it may be. I already thought Commodore style wasn't really enough to command real volume in America.

cobbled together it may be, but a looker it is. The interior seems to follow the Mustang a little too closely in offering all retro touches, but the design is thorough, moreso than any other GM interior we've seen to date, aside from CTS and the upcoming Lacrosse. There is no touch that doesn't seem fitting and it looks like an environment everyone from CEOs can find techy and cool to the average guy wanting to impress his friends.....it's not at all unattractive. it does remind me of the 4th gen a little too much, but I'm sure that impression will go away once we see a finished version. We haven't seen a finished version but people are jumping to many conclusions.

nobody aside from those within GM can comment on the fit and finish. clearly the fit will work in the end, GM has demonstrated with Malibu and others they've got that together. finish-wise, these are all new materials going into the cars that nobody has ever touched before, there isn't even a corporate stereo in there. I'd say for a ~20k product this looks pretty damn good. Combined with the level of performance and great exterior design, this car will be nothing but an attention getter and sales knockout, even if gas touches $5. Going back to the materials, I'd understand if this were something like the current Malibu where a lot of the materials appear to come out of the Aura, then we could all have some type of expectation for the quality, but you can't deduce quality from a picture of an all-new product using all-new materials. And you know what, judging from the attention to detail of design, I'd guess even if the materials aren't the greatest, the Camaro will nonetheless be a thrilling place to sit in while its performance thrills you.

It is a little too big for me though. :) That's not a knock against the size of the Camaro or potential weight. I know not what those stats are, and from looks wise I think it looks right. It's just me, I'd like something Alpha-sized please. I do however see the need for RWD cars priced and sized affordably [25k-45k]. GM is making a big mistake by cancelling product, if it has and will continue to do so. LX car sales are in the tanker because those aren't truly desirable cars, hampered by poor performing powertrains, poor gas mileage, poor interiors, and outlandish exterior designs. Notice the 300 with its more understated suit and semi-acceptable interior design soldiers on though and continues to sell moderately well.

that sounds really great. change the idea of the mainstream model to one with a 3.0 DI with 220 hp and over 32 mpg highway, starting at 26k. offer dual mode hybrid version with 3.0 DI, more hp, 44 mpg at least, $33k. eat the costs of the hybrids, watch them fly. the upgraded LLT with 304 hp sounds like a hot model, with hot power, average American really does not need that level of power. perhaps a 2.2 DI with 180 hp and over 35 mpg if it can be achieved could be offered, at 25k. there you have a plan that includes Zeta in a volume sense realistically and raises the price of Chevys for the new high mileage high gasoline priced world.

The current Impy is no flagship, but that is known.

One last thing, have the style reflect a truly desirable American sedan! unique and beautiful, No Commodore warm-over, athletic as it may be. I already thought Commodore style wasn't really enough to command real volume in America.

Nah, Chevy already has the Malibu. There is no need to overlap the "Camry" market with yet another car. The RWD Impala or Caprice or whatever you want to call it should be situated one step above the Malibu, priced accordingly and configured suitably.

A 3.0 DI does not exist. And a 3.6 is not going to be any more or less expensive. Engine complexity costs money, slightly larger bores does not.

If fuel economy and tree hugging is the goal a 4-potter is superior. They are not only cheaper (1/2 as many cams, a simpler block, exhaust on one side, etc) they are also more efficient at a given displacement due to lower parasitic loss. Think about it for a minute, between a 4 camshafts, six pistons, 18 rings, 24 valves, and 2 camshafts, 4 pistons, 12 rings, 16 valves, which do you think has less friction (for a given displacement)? The 4-potter! Out of consideration of this being a big and relatively heavy car, let's pick the biggest 4-potter in the General's arsenal. The truck portfolio's 2.9 liter LAV 16-valve Inline-4. Give it direct injection, DVVT and a mild hybrid treatment and it should be good for 230 hp. That is incidentally the same as the output as the 3.0 liter I6 in the BMW 328. Sure, it won't be the silkiest engine in the world, but if you care about that more than economy and looking green, you'll get the 3.6 V6 DI for the same money.

Where did the gas cap go? On the concept it was atop the left rear fender. Most GM's have the fuel filler on the left rear fender. I see no fuel filler on the driver's side of the car. On the concept it was the stylized race style cap...I see nothing of the sort on this car. I know it is trivial, but it is a worthwhile question.

Next: On the first car on the transport, in the opening shot under the camo at the front...why do the headlights look different than the Camaro? Why is the grill cover split down the middle. All that to cover a bowtie?

maybe theyre bringing back the fuel filler behind the liscense plate!

lol i wish

Nope, the license plate is not on, and the two square slots where it should be doesn't look like a gas cap.

Maybe they got REALLY silly and put it in the TRUNK! Or maybe under the driver's seat!!!

Where did the gas cap go? On the concept it was atop the left rear fender. Most GM's have the fuel filler on the left rear fender. I see no fuel filler on the driver's side of the car. On the concept it was the stylized race style cap...I see nothing of the sort on this car. I know it is trivial, but it is a worthwhile question.

Next: On the first car on the transport, in the opening shot under the camo at the front...why do the headlights look different than the Camaro? Why is the grill cover split down the middle. All that to cover a bowtie?

Probably on the right quarter panel... I noticed the lights on the camoed car..it's probably got some other headlights than production (i.e. cobbled together mule).

You wont see anything at the auto shows this year.

Bumblebee will be in Detroit , without the hubcaps :)

Probably on the right quarter panel... I noticed the lights on the camoed car..it's probably got some other headlights than production (i.e. cobbled together mule).

Zeta fuel door = passengerside .....same for the Camaro

Scott said the headlights are makeshift , using cheapies from the local auto parts store . Production units are not ready .

Just for comparison's sake:

camarointdcukgped-1.jpg

Camaro-Interior-1-450.jpg

I ... can't help it ... these earlier comments bug me.

Ask 'em what they were smoking for me, Custom, if you get the chance.

90cbint.jpg

camarointdcukgped-1.jpg

Whatever it was, it sounds like fun! :smilewide:

Oh, dear God, reg. Get real. Guess you want the days of the cheap, old Delco cassette decks and Corsica "rich" plastics back, huh? Common sense will tell you GM will more than clean things up before the first examples make their way to the customers.

Anyone else that is dealing with reality notice the uncamo car has a lower cowling on the speedo and tach on the dash? Both do not stick up hardly at all.

I think this best shows how we have far from seen the finished product yet. I think Scott said this was only like 60% fo the final car and that is counting the Door panels.

Note too the seat is just out of a Holden.

• 4 weeks later...

The interior in the concept Camaro has always been horrible. There is no getting around it.

To be honest I think it's starting to lean towards just being "bad". It's better than the first pics I saw...

I wish that GM hired the young kid that made all those Camaro "retro" drawings a few years back, he had some nice looking drawings. I think the production Camaro is gonna be a fairly heavy slab sided car, not what I would have approved if I was in charge...?

:scratchchin: