'07 Camry Spy Pics

Polish_Kris

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the grainy pictures that revealed the whole look of this car, I thought Toyota might have made a breakthrough in thier design. Now, after seeing it in clearer pictures, I recognize this is still yet again the most boring sedan on the road. Congratulations Toyota, you have nothing on the 2008 Malibu's design.

Those grainy shots made it look halfway decent, but the camoed version is extremely dull. I thought Toyota was supposed to be going through a design revolution? If this is their revolution, GM and Ford have nothing to worry about in the style department as this new Camry looks like a frumpier, mini-me Avalon. And people criticize Buick for making old-man cars...this is about as geriatric as you can get without being in a home.

The critics have spoken!:

THE NEW CAMRY!

"...grille looks almost Mazda-ish" -proclaims moltar

"...still yet again the most boring sedan on the road" -says turbo200

"GM and Ford have nothing to worry about...this new Camry looks like a frumpier, mini-me Avalon" -writes mustang84

lol :)

Guest gmrebirth
That "grainy" shot still has some camo on it, and you it's hard to make out the car's details because it's white. Just wait for the official premiere before you judge it. and what's with people judging covered up camo vehicles? The camoed Camry is dull? Well no kidding, because it's completely covered in camo! I guess the 2007 Sierra must be extremely dull if you look at camoed spy shots of it and judge it based on that :rolleyes:

and what's with people judging covered up camo vehicles?

The camoed Camry is dull? Well no kidding, because it's completely covered in camo!

[post="30562"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My opinion is based upon the shape and the uncovered front end as well as the video captured shots showing the uncovered vehicle. The shape is nothing spectacular...I prefer the leaner Camrys from earlier generations. The wheels are small and disproportionate. With the more aggressive Fusion and upcoming Aura and Malibu, I was expecting Toyota to come up with a new Camry that was a little more daring. But it looks like they chose to tread the same old waters again.

I think the only reason that the Camry looked good in those grainy video shots was because they had a high gloss silver paint on it and took the images from angles that hid the frumpy rear end. Now that I've seen pics of it in real world conditions, I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the shape.

As long as GM and Ford keep improving their car lines at the rate they're going, they should catch up to Toyota in no time. This is a very safe redesign mostly because they don't want to mess too much with sales. I can understand that. Though, I still think it's a very bland looking automobile.

As long as GM and Ford keep improving their car lines at the rate they're going, they should catch up to Toyota in no time.  This is a very safe redesign mostly because they don't want to mess too much with sales.  I can understand that.  Though, I still think it's a very bland looking automobile.

[post="30631"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I don't think that many of us on this site will ever buy one. They need to install tasers in the seat to keep us awake. It is just so boring to drive and look at. B)

Based on the "boring" comments I sure hope the next-gen Malibu looks like a Camaro.

[post="30650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's funny......most of the people that continue to rack the Camry for being "boring" are usually the biggest Malibu fans.....

:huh:

Malibu's got the gold medal for boring, appliance-like transportation.

Camry may not be a Corvette, and it's not MY choice in the midsize segment, but I don't find these Camry attributes "boring" when compared to the Malibu:

* Attractive, if conservative, exterior design with tight panel gaps
* An interior with superior material quality and fit-and-finish
* Supportive and comfortable bucket seats
* L4 and V6 engines that exhibit world-class NVH and refinement
* Smooth and soft suspension that doesn't shake and wiggle over bad roads.

It's funny......most of the people that continue to rack the Camry for being "boring" are usually the biggest Malibu fans.....

:huh:

Malibu's got the gold medal for boring, appliance-like transportation.

Camry may not be a Corvette, and it's not MY choice in the midsize segment, but I don't find these Camry attributes "boring" when compared to the Malibu:

*  Attractive, if conservative, exterior design with tight panel gaps
*  An interior with superior material quality and fit-and-finish
*  Supportive and comfortable bucket seats
*  L4 and V6 engines that exhibit world-class NVH and refinement
*  Smooth and soft suspension that doesn't shake and wiggle over bad roads.

[post="30662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

He's right,

Most of you have a shallow perspective towards the Camry, let alone, any Toyota car, there is a saying, never judge a book by it's cover!

*  Attractive, if conservative, exterior design with tight panel gaps

Ever seen a Camry from behind for more than a second? They need to bolt the exhaust pipe back to the chassis. 'Attractive' is very, very debatable.

*  An interior with superior material quality and fit-and-finish

I won't debate this anymore because I really don't care about the Camry, but I do thank you for not saying "design" because the design of the interior is Godawful. And regardless of the materials used, they still feel cheap.

*  Supportive and comfortable bucket seats

Subjective.

*  L4 and V6 engines that exhibit world-class NVH and refinement

The 4 cylinders are really not that smooth and pretty buzzy and gutless, at least in the Corolla I lived with for a few weeks. Toyota 4s are nothing compared to Honda 4s and to an extent the Ecotec. Yes, its a little bit 'dirty', but you get nice power delivery from most Ecotec cars. You get a raincheck for torque from a Toyota.

*  Smooth and soft suspension that doesn't shake and wiggle over bad roads.

[post="30662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Take out 'smooth' and replace with 'slightly wallowy' and add 'floaty ride,' 'overboosted steering,' and 'lack of feedback' and you're right. Its doesn't shake or wiggle, but it doesn't do much else either.

-----------
I realize the Camry is a competant car, but to say the current iteration is still the universal family car benchmark its precedecessors were is stretching the imagination. Its far more accurate to say that since '02 at least, this car has been riding solely on its reputation. Take any other midsize offering today with the exception of the Sebring/Stratus and Optima and it would be in most facets superior to a Camry.

Whether or not the '07 will merely continue the "Buy-It-Because-its-a-Camry" mantra or actually improves vastly on itself to be a desireable car in its own right is yet to be seen.

Polish Kris, when you say "most of us have a shallow perspective", you yourself are having a shallow perspective. Take your own advice and don't judge to quickly...

OC, I do agree with you on the attributes of the Camry.

To me some of the best things about the Camry are its

smooth, quiet suspension
easy dynamics
silky engine
wonderfully crafted [I didn't say designed] interior

on the con side those "easy dynamics" are also damn boring if you have any desire to actually handle that car in any sporting manner. The suspension wallows a lot a W-body, imo....

BUT.....with regards to design....well I just find the current Camry to be quite.....geriatric and disgusting almost. The cominbation of a very high beltline, mixed with regular Toyota vanilla styling, mixed with zero sleekness, and you have an incredibly boring design I'd be ashamed to drive if I was sixty, leave that to the 70-year olds!

Bottom line, would I take it? Hell ya, give it to me for free and I will take pride in it. Would I CHOOSE it? No way, not a chance, the VW, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, and maybe a used BMW or Audi dealer would be the first ones to see my business in this scenario.

As to Malibu being queen of dull. Well until this refresh with the removal of the chrome bar, I thought the Malibu had some personality. Yes, at first I thought it was indescribably ugly, but then I started to like from some angles, and grew to appreciate it. That personality made it acceptable above the Camry. Now that the chrome bar is gone, well I think it is incredibly boring looking and just as dull ash the Cmary. Edited by turbo200

I was talking about the grainy pics from here:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp...3&categoryId=21

thanks to cspec for the link. going back and looking at them I will say the car looks like it will be very well-detailed, it will be more aggressive than the white camo car is letting on and more aggressive of course than the current version, but not enough imo....the most disappointing aspect is the fascia that looks like a Honda/Mazda, the headlights look like the TL or 6 and the grille obviously looks Mazda-like. I think many cars will have this look already by then, and thus my consensus is it won't be anything groundbreaking.

The current Camry has many areas in which to improve, and I don't doubt that the car will be better than the outgoing one in every way. There was perhaps too much cost-cutting in the last two Camries, and the driving experience was thoroughly uninspriring. Toyota did not make the new Camry horrendously ugly, and the interior seems normal. Therefore it's practically guaranteed that this will continue to be the number one selling car. The current Camry, by being an entirely unremarkable vehicle, has given plenty of opportunities for the competitors to produce something better in meeting buyers' needs. Yet who actually succeeded? Probably only Honda with the Accord, but Honda badly botched the styling. In L.A., Camries are typically sold at around invoice, so they have been pretty good values, and it's a low-risk buy.

Agreed... Camries aren't exciting cars, but they're inoffensive, good value, and easy to recommend, the key word being inoffensive. As a machine, the Malibu may well be as good as the Camry, but its big chrome bar up front and strange-looking interior is almost bold. As far as value, I've seen leather-lined, sunroof equipped XLE V6 models advertised for around $22K, which is a lot of kit for not much little money.

The critics have spoken!:

THE NEW CAMRY!

"...grille looks almost Mazda-ish" -proclaims moltar

"...still yet again the most boring sedan on the road"  -says turbo200

"GM and Ford have nothing to worry about...this new Camry looks like a frumpier, mini-me Avalon"  -writes mustang84

lol :)

[post="30554"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol:

To all...... My comments on the current Camry versus the current Malibu were based upon a recent 250-mile drive in an '05 Malibu LS V6 rental......and a recent (last week) rental of an '05 Camry LE L4. Let's take styling (interior and exterior) out of the equation, okay? The Camry was 10-times the car the Malibu was..... The 4cyl WAS quieter than the V6 Malibu and WAS smooth and punchy (the Camry 2.4L is FAR nicer than the Corolla 1.8L.....they are different engines.) Fit-and-finish was top-notch. As far as interiors, NO contest.....the Camry FEELS far richer and if you compare the radio, HVAC controls, and minor switchgear to what you get in Malibu, it's a drastic difference. Gauges in the Camry are the (Toyota's name) optitron instruments that when combined with the gauge typeface, give the Camry a MUCH more upscale-appearing instrument cluster than the Malibu's gauges. AND, somehow, Toyota is able to tune the Camry chassis to QUIETLY soak up ruts and bumps as well as an old Buick dynaride.....with a level of float and wallow that's much less than typical "soft" base GM suspensions. The Malibu will most likely go around corners faster....sure....but with the Malibu we also got a chassis that felt less-than-solid over bumps and ruts....with steering and chassis wiggles and shakes....and more severe impact noise. SO.....to recap the "boring" debate.....I find the Camry more impressively-competent than outright "boring." The Malibu I found "boring" because it didn't seem to have much outright talent to make up for its conservative exterior and uncompetitive interior.

SO.....to recap the "boring" debate.....I find the Camry more impressively-competent than outright "boring." The Malibu I found "boring" because it didn't seem to have much outright talent to make up for its conservative exterior and uncompetitive interior.

No offense, but explain how the Malibu placed higher than the Camry in test by MT, which like most mags, is biased... By reading what you said, it doesn't seem possible. :huh:

To all......

Gauges in the Camry are the (Toyota's name) optitron instruments that when combined with the gauge typeface, give the Camry a MUCH more upscale-appearing instrument cluster than the Malibu's gauges.

[post="32895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

gazillion times more upscale, and that is how Toyota wins the game with its cars, tiny details that make your car seem that much more special. Chevy, and GM, badly, badly give up this game by not trying harder to impress customers...

I wasn't really trying to make a case for the MAlibu being a better car than the Camry, just that it had more character and personality (with the chrome bar). I have never driven the Malibu, and have driven the Camry enough to have a very good impression of the kind of car it is. IT is the perfect everyday man's car.... perfect for the family, and perfectly practical and reliable. It was a target GM was trying to hit with the MAlibu, but failed to understand that there isn't cost-cutting in the Camry where it counts, where the consumer can MOST feel it, inside and in the engine department.....

Re: the optitron gauges in the Camry... I agree. I am an instrument panel maniac... it is just my thing. The optitron gauges make the IP look so much more upscale. I mean, c'mon, the gauges in a Corolla look more upscale in my opinion than any gauge available in a Chevy or Buick, sans Lucerne (because although they're not LED, the style of the font, layout, and boldness of the blue make the gauges look a little classy). I mean, c'mon, so many Asian makes have LED gauges... IMO, they seem so much clearer to look at and they appear classier.