St. Louis-area town considers proposal that would ban swearing in bars

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22559988?gt1=10755

ST. CHARLES, Mo. - What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights

Err...doesn't this toss the 1st Amendment right out of the window?

Well, 1st Amendment usually is applied to public situations, though... bars are private establishments and can set whatever standards they want, I would think..

Well, 1st Amendment usually is applied to public situations, though... bars are private establishments and can set whatever standards they want, I would think..

...but it's not being established by the bars. It's being established by the town (aka government). It seems awfully fuzzy to me, though there are already laws for "lewd behavior" in public, so this is kind of stretching already existing laws. It sounds like the town is trying to give the police some easier ammo for dealing with rowdys, but way overdoing it.

I would think it's very anti 1st amendment. private establishment... like laws that ban smoking in these "private areas", they don't care that it's a private establishment.

St. Louis can be pretty bible-belty though..

st charles is on the west side of st louis.... on I-70 um.. st louis, being a large metro area, isn't known for being conservative. i'm ~1 1/2 south of st louis.

...but dress codes are usually created & implemented by a business, not the city gov't (aside from "indecency" stuff).

Yes, that's the key difference with this issue..it's not rules imposed by the bars themselves but by the local government, which makes it a sticky situation..

Get used to it folks...

Each year more freedom is taken away.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind some restrictions on VERY lude activity in bars. Of course, around here it's gotten so bad that people are openly doing cocaine on the tables in some places. (This happened the last time I was out in my home town)

Profanity is one thing... Open use of cocaine is another I guess.

Get used to it folks...

Each year more freedom is taken away.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind some restrictions on VERY lude activity in bars. Of course, around here it's gotten so bad that people are openly doing cocaine on the tables in some places. (This happened the last time I was out in my home town)

Profanity is one thing... Open use of cocaine is another I guess.

When we point it out to them in a way that hurts.

Revolution is needed to fix the problems.

Please allow us to scan your Biometrics chip please, und you vill enjoy it! :AH-HA_wink:

Yep, we can all get chipped like dogs, and have our own personal GPS.... a company could use it to monitor the location of all resources, and send shocks to resource units that have spent to much time in the bathroom or on a smoke break.. :) Or the gov't could use it to arrest people that have the right profile for the potential to commit crime...the possibilities are endless! :)

Nahh, just paranoid..I don't trust the Government or Republicans.

so do you doubly distrust republicans in government? hehe.

there was a good recording of professors talk about whether there's a culture war in this country (on cspan2 last night). both pretty much agreed that the elite of the "right" and "left" have this going on, and it can trickle down to us (everyday people) sometimes when they get into local disputes and use them to further their ideals. they also agreed the bush lost by winning last election.

Yep, we can all get chipped like dogs, and have our own personal GPS.... a company could use it to monitor the location of all resources, and send shocks to resource units that have spent to much time in the bathroom or on a smoke break.. :)Or the gov't could use it to arrest people that have the right profile for the potential to commit crime...the possibilities are endless! :)

Funny you should mention that...

Recent genetics testing of CD (Conduct Disorder, the main precursor to Antisocial Personality Disorder) children has hinted that children with CD have similar profiles. Basically, we could *PREDICT* if a child is at the very least more "at risk" for being a bad person than other children. At the most, taken to a wild extrme, we could fully diagnose a child with the disorder based on a genetics test alone

The research stops short of drawing definite conclusions for fear that someone (or some organization) will take the conclusions and use them as a basis for discrimination or even detainment.

:scratchchin:

And FWIW, I certainly believe there is a culture war going on in this country. What is the main source of fuel you ask? The media of course! When you tune in to your favorite news cast, do you actually get news or just propaganda with a fact or two sprinkled in? There's your answer.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM