Lumina MPG

Lately my car has been getting great mpg, and ironically I've been driving faster lately. Usually I go about 75 on the interstate, but the last week I've been waking up later and have a 45 minute drive to work, so I go about 80. I just filled up my car tonight and discovered I got 27 mpg! The EPA rates my car at 25 mpg and before I had my head gasket replaced I was getting 22-23 mpg. This is about 85% highway, 15% city driving. I would've assumed I'd be getting worse since I've been speeding more lately, but I'm actually doing better!

How does everyone else do on highway MPG?

Lately my car has been getting great mpg, and ironically I've been driving faster lately. Usually I go about 75 on the interstate, but the last week I've been waking up later and have a 45 minute drive to work, so I go about 80. I just filled up my car tonight and discovered I got 27 mpg! The EPA rates my car at 25 mpg and before I had my head gasket replaced I was getting 22-23 mpg. This is about 85% highway, 15% city driving. I would've assumed I'd be getting worse since I've been speeding more lately, but I'm actually doing better!

What Lumina is it?

Mom and dad normally got around 35 on trips to South Carolina when they had their '97 Buick Century. My Impala with the 3.8 gets around 30 with my rather spirited driving. Sometimes it seems that engines can get better mileage at higher speeds, I haven't quite figured out why, but sometimes they do.

My 3800 powered Olds would get about 30 on the highway and close to 40 if I drafted behind semis.

Had to add that last part so people wouldn't call BS. :bs:

The G. Marquis get's a little over 20 on the highway and a few mpg more with semi drafting.

my 3.1 monte carlo got 37 ...most of it was ~55mph to 65mph in Indiana.. quite the flat state.

I am afraid GM has lost this efficency advantage trying to be Asian with the DOHC 3.6L V6. This efficency advantage that was NEVER talked about by the media-(I WONDER WHY HUMMMMMMM COULD IT BE BIAS)-and NEVER refered to by GM itself properly. And the last of this line of OHV V6's will be gone soon and so will the NEVER RESPECTED efficency advantage of this 60 degree line or the 3.8L 90 degree V6 eather!----SAD!!

Well, my 3100 is also from a 94, and there are some "issues" with the rest of the car, but I'm still averaging about 20-21mpg mixed driving (heavier on the city traffic). I rarely take it on the highway anymore since I can't afford to have it drop dead, so I can't give you a straight-out highway figure. But with over 175,000 flawless miles, I can't complain.

Well, my 3100 is also from a 94, and there are some "issues" with the rest of the car, but I'm still averaging about 20-21mpg mixed driving (heavier on the city traffic). I rarely take it on the highway anymore since I can't afford to have it drop dead, so I can't give you a straight-out highway figure. But with over 175,000 flawless miles, I can't complain.

What's your opinion on the 3100? It seems to have great torque and pick up from 0-50, but after that it just feels anemic. The gearing ratios are too long, and passing on the highway isn't exactly a breeze. My engine only has 140 hp, but Series II boosted it up to 160 in '95. But despite all the complaints about OHV engines, mine is pretty smooth...I think a lot of people just see "pushrod" and assume it's inferior without driving one. My last Lumina made it to 220,000 before the electrical gremlins took over.

The Luminas we used to have were 1997 and 1998 models. The '97 was rough and had higher miles, and I think I never topped 24mpg in it but I also rarely got it on the highway. The '98 we took to Mississippi and back and had no trouble averaging 27-28mpg...both had the 3100.

What's your opinion on the 3100? It seems to have great torque and pick up from 0-50, but after that it just feels anemic. The gearing ratios are too long, and passing on the highway isn't exactly a breeze. My engine only has 140 hp, but Series II boosted it up to 160 in '95. But despite all the complaints about OHV engines, mine is pretty smooth...I think a lot of people just see "pushrod" and assume it's inferior without driving one. My last Lumina made it to 220,000 before the electrical gremlins took over.

i don't have any experience with pre 160HP 3.1s, but my redline shifts are 40, 80, prolly 120. you can feel the power come on as the engine hits 4000rpms. mine has some off and on "hesitation" (SES "4th cylinder misfire" once and a while) that's evident in 3rd and worse in 4th below ~1.6k rpms. without that problem, it does seem like a great motor to me.

I had one in 1991 on a GM product I was driving for 3 years, I never had an issue with it. It started up every time and ran great. You can't ask for much more than that.

the first generation 3.1s were relatively problem free, they weren't the most powerful engines in the world, but they got the job done. The second generation ones were a little better, and like the previous ones were good for what they were asked to do. Now of course we know of the intake gasket issue with them too, but that's mostly relegated to the second generation ones and the 3.4s. I enjoyed the one in the Buick when mom and dad had it, but I dunno, when I initially test drove an Impala with the 3.4, it felt underpowered, meanwhile the 3.8 felt just right in it. Kinda weird, but I guess maybe the Impala grew some in weight as compared to when it was in Lumina clothing.

the first generation 3.1s were relatively problem free, they weren't the most powerful engines in the world, but they got the job done. The second generation ones were a little better, and like the previous ones were good for what they were asked to do. Now of course we know of the intake gasket issue with them too, but that's mostly relegated to the second generation ones and the 3.4s. I enjoyed the one in the Buick when mom and dad had it, but I dunno, when I initially test drove an Impala with the 3.4, it felt underpowered, meanwhile the 3.8 felt just right in it. Kinda weird, but I guess maybe the Impala grew some in weight as compared to when it was in Lumina clothing.

my friend down the street has a 3.4L impala, it's first shift point is above 45 close to low 50's i think, so if the tranny if pretty much the same as my 3.1's 2nd shift point would be around 100mph.... this lower ratio front diff is prolly why it feels unsporty. also the 3.4 is only 20hp more powerful than my 3.1 and only ~10lbft more too.

anyone know the 3.8's shift points in the impala?

I get 28 in the Fusion, no matter what. 100% city driving, 28mpg. City/highway mix, 28mpg. Cruise set at 80 on highway, 28mpg. I confirmed that last one four different times (to Kansas City and back, to Jefferson City and back), I filled up and went on my way, then did the math.

Man this thread makes me wonder what the deal is, I cant seem to manage more than 24 mpg, that's if it's all highway driving. After replacing the catalytic converter, spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, and mass air flow sensor, I thought I would see an improvement but didn't see much difference.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

I'm hoping for 18 average in the Roadmaster, my Fleetwood Brougham averaged that.

The Datsun only averaged 20-21mpg this winter because I was delivering Chinese Food

with it and that little inline-six was too small to stay warm so I alsmost never shut the

damn car off, even between deliveries, the Roadmaster's 5.7 puts out enough heat to

flame broil whoppers on the heatercore. Gotta love B-bodys.

Well, being that I had the 3300 and the 3100 in both Centuries... both with the same power rating, although I find the power ample, the power seemed to be available at much lower rpms in the 3300. Yes, it feels anemic on the highway... one thing I could do with the 3300 was just lightly hit the gas, and coast up 5-10mph more... you can't do that with the 3100... when you're going 65, if you want to go 70, you have to hit the gas a bit.

The engine is fairly smooth when it's warmed up--when it's cold, it's very loud and rough. Honestly, within 5 minutes of driving, it's like a different engine. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes before I go, but it doesn't smooth out until I'm on the road.

I had a '91 Lumina with the 3100...

Had 250,000 miles on it, was smooth as a top and got excellent gas mileage! I seriously think that car has been the best car I've ever owned fuel mileage wise. I never officially measured my mileage, but I'd estimate it in the 30's easy (I do quite a bit of highway driving)

The Focus I currently have gets about 35+ on my trips back and forth to Charlotte.

The 3.1 in the Cav got to 40 a few times.....it would go high 20s/early 30s with good mixed driving...

With the EGR flaking out right now, it runs low 20s-teens....

The ecotecs seem to do well, as the wife's Cav pulls 30s with mixed drving..

The cobalt is running low 20s no matter what-but it's due for a fuel system cleaning/fuel filter, so that should help...

Another Lumina 3.1 driver checking in. :AH-HA_wink:

Ours is a 1995.

lumi.jpg

Durring the summer of 06, I was easily getting 25-30mpg with 65% highway driving.

Lately our car has been running very badly (a long story), and fuel economy went to the $h!ter. It got as bad as 15mpg (90% city).

Last week, I got a bottle of Pennzoil xtra concentrated fuel system cleaner, filled up the whole tank, and drove the snot out of it.

Guess what? It worked. Fuel economy right now (with 90% city driving) is right around 24mpg (by my estimate from half a tank so far)!!! :pbjtime:

Im thinking that the injectors were gunked up pretty good. The car now drives like new, and purrs like a kitten. :lol:

3.1 V6's are fantastic motors.

A co-worker of mine had a 1990 Lumina 3.1 sedan. He got it for free from a family member (with 250,000 Kilometers...155,342 miles), and managed to take it to 340,000 (211,266 miles)! He has since got a Mercury Villager, but the Lumina resides at his mechanics shop. He tells me that the mechanic doesnt have the heart to scrap it.

08 brand new focus loaner (auto) computer says 25 mpg. i'll be getting my car back tomorrow so i'll have to fill up the focus before i give it back, but to me 25mpg is less than what compacts should get in order for them to be attractive to drive. many car reviews and user reviews i see on four cylinder cars and compacts these days though, they don't get the 30mpg i would expect or want to get.