Mom+Dad+Outgrown the crew cab S-10= 2008 Buick LaCrosse?

Hey guys, I just got informed that my parents are car shopping. I guess I should inform you of my parent's vehicle buying habits, the first car I remember them having is a 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity station wagon, they bought it brand new and drove it until April of 1997 when they bought their 1997 Buick Century, they kept it till June 2005 when mom got the itch for a truck. So they traded in the Buick and bought a 2005 S-10 crew cab ZR-5. Well its 2008 and dad is wider than he used to be, and mom's knee can't really take climbing in and out of the truck like she used to, so they're hunting for something new. Right now they have their sights set on a Buick LaCrosse, its similar in size to the Century they had, and it should perform like it too. The only option that dad is looking for is the lumbar adjust for the seat, he would like the premium sound system, but its not a necessity. Mom's pretty well set on either the Jewel Red Tintcoat, or the Blue, with the titanium interior color. Neither of them want leather seats, and the only other real requirement is the 60/40 split bench seat up front. So far I've only really seen one or two up close and they were nice, but did not meet the requirements that mom and dad are looking for.

Any thoughts on this one guys? I'm pretty much liking the LaCrosse too, since it'll have everything they want, and it'll keep both of them happy for a while, but I want other opinions. I was personally thinking of maybe suggesting a new Malibu since its normally just them and maybe Heather (my daughter). Rarely ever does anyone else ride with them, but I know that sometimes people will, so I dunno about the size of the Malibu vs. what they want.

Lacrosse is a nice car and nice deals, as always, but as a W-body, the back seat and such can be cramped. Great if the 3.8L is a big draw, too. But, definitely not too fresh...worth checking into. And if a bench seat is what is wanted, a Buick is the ticket.

IF, at all, the bench seat can be given up...then another choice...

As someone who just bought one, to move from REPLACE an '04 Suburban of all things...I HIGHLY recommend at least having them see & drive a Malibu. I'm thinking it might actually be a little harder to get into than a Lacrosse (not sure why, just thinking because it's lower and how it sits), BUT has more space overall, looks fantastic, and is one of the best GM sedans to drive. They're not sitting around with cash on the hood like a Lacrosse, but the prices are very good as is, especially for the quality, looks, and features, so really worth a look & test drive. It might be ruled out because of buckets only and maybe the ingress/egress...but check it out.

Edited by caddycruiser

Why don't they look into the Lucerne CX model? It is bigger than the LaCrosse, but the cloth is standard and I know the dealers around me usually have the CX models equipped with the bench seat. If the size is a concern, then I could see the reason for the LaCrosse interest. However, I feel that they should check the Lucerne out too.

I recently had a LaCrosse for a loaner while my Park Avenue was in the dealership for work.

It's very comfortable to drive, rides smoothly, very quiet (quieter than my Park Avenue), and the control layout is mostly intuitive (some places you'll just have to know where to look - like the trunk release is shared with the door lock button.) The rear seat is really no smaller than the Century or Regal that preceded it, so if that worked for them, they'll be fine.

One point when picking between Lucerne or LaCrosse, LaCrosse is cheaper to maintain. I don't have buyer's remorse. I can afford to keep my car up and I purchased the extended warranty (thankfully), however, G-Platform cars are premium cars and the costs required to maintain them match.

Why don't they look into the Lucerne CX model? It is bigger than the LaCrosse, but the cloth is standard and I know the dealers around me usually have the CX models equipped with the bench seat. If the size is a concern, then I could see the reason for the LaCrosse interest. However, I feel that they should check the Lucerne out too.

YES! Great choice.

It's on a little more modern platform than the Lacrosse (slightly), and larger, more refined, more comfortable, etc., etc.

Plus, you can get a well equipped CX with cloth bench seats for low $20k's, and it's a nicer car--I think--than the smaller and less well done Lacrosse.

I tried to talk them into the Lucerne, but dad wants the standard dual zone climate control on the LaCrosse. I know that the W-body has a somewhat limited back seat area (remember guys I currently own an Impala), so I know what its like to sit in the back seat of it. My dad thinks that the Malibu is too small, he's saying that its smaller than my Impala (which I know that it is, but I'm thinking that the Malibu is better laid out and has more interior room). I'm going to do my best to go and sit in a Malibu, a LaCrosse and even a Lucerne if I can, that way I can give an impression to mom and dad on the car and how I personally liked it. Hell, I may even test drive all three of them and see what they might like based off my tastes, considering that I remember how the Buick rode, and how the Impala currently rides compared to the other vehicles.

I tried to talk them into the Lucerne, but dad wants the standard dual zone climate control on the LaCrosse. I know that the W-body has a somewhat limited back seat area (remember guys I currently own an Impala), so I know what its like to sit in the back seat of it. My dad thinks that the Malibu is too small, he's saying that its smaller than my Impala (which I know that it is, but I'm thinking that the Malibu is better laid out and has more interior room). I'm going to do my best to go and sit in a Malibu, a LaCrosse and even a Lucerne if I can, that way I can give an impression to mom and dad on the car and how I personally liked it. Hell, I may even test drive all three of them and see what they might like based off my tastes, considering that I remember how the Buick rode, and how the Impala currently rides compared to the other vehicles.

I really like your dad. :AH-HA_wink:

Well, his work truck (fully loaded '05 Silverado) has got him spoiled on the dual zone, besides, he's more hot-natured than mom, so when she's comfortable, he's burning up. The S-10 doesn't have dual zone at all, so mom and dad normally don't agree on a temp for the interior of the truck to be. I'm also going to do my best to get some good pictures of the cars that way mom and dad can have some visuals to look at when it comes to making a decision before they go and actually look at one themselves. I know that right now mom and dad aren't going to go and buy one this weekend or anything, but they are seriously starting to consider it, which means that they need as much information on the choices as possible. I really tried to talk them into a Caddy, but dad doesnt' want to lay down 40k + on a vehicle. Currently he's spent really no more than 27k on any new vehicle (and that's all he buys), in his purchasing history, I know that right now he's not going to ever step into a true luxury car, I know he'll go near-lux since he's already had one Buick.

Guest YellowJacket894
Death to the W!

Yes, please let everything from Roger Smith's reign over GM die and die very painfully.

I am reminded how half-baked our 2004 Impala was in some aspects and just cringe when I hear the name "W-Body" in a sentence. Sure, it had good handling, might have looked decent with exterior mods if we bought a few, and the 3400 had a nice throaty growl, but I'll be damned if the interior didn't remind me of every '92 F-150 U-Haul I've sat in (I mostly blame the plood) and the taillight cluster looked like pure $h! without the cover GM offered on fully-loaded LT models of the same vintage. Not to mention that the $h!ty plastic wheel covers were yellowing before we traded it off for our G6 (I liked that car, too, but I hated it's electronic steering; one of GM's more $h!ty ideas, it always felt like I was driving a car that was either twice its size or had it's front-end aligned by a thirteen-year old with a tech manual and a screwdriver).

Yes, please let everything from Roger Smith's reign over GM die and die very painfully.

I am reminded how half-baked our 2004 Impala was in some aspects and just cringe when I hear the name "W-Body" in a sentence. Sure, it had good handling, might have looked decent with exterior mods if we bought a few, and the 3400 had a nice throaty growl, but I'll be damned if the interior didn't remind me of every '92 F-150 U-Haul I've sat in (I mostly blame the plood) and the taillight cluster looked like pure $h! without the cover GM offered on fully-loaded LT models of the same vintage. Not to mention that the $h!ty plastic wheel covers were yellowing before we traded it off for our G6 (I liked that car, too, but I hated it's electronic steering; one of GM's more $h!ty ideas, it always felt like I was driving a car that was either twice its size or had it's front-end aligned by a thirteen-year old with a tech manual and a screwdriver).

Were you even born when Roger Smith ran GM? :smilewide:

I don't mind the electronic steering (wife's Cobalt has it, although the alignment on it is off from when it played bumper cars with a ranger). My Impala is relatively nice, I would like a few things different if I could have them when it comes to the car, but it is reliable, and affordable transportation. Although next ride will defenitely be a truck. Amy (the wife) is looking into an Acadia when the Cobalt's lease is up in a year and a half, so I'm probably going to look up close an an Acadia tomorrow too.

Guest YellowJacket894
Were you even born when Roger Smith ran GM? :smilewide:

No. Not exactly. But I am aware of how badly he f@#ked up GM.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I tried to talk them into the Lucerne, but dad wants the standard dual zone climate control on the LaCrosse.

The PDD option package (Comfort and Convenience Package, includes (CJ2) dual-zone air conditioning, (AG2) 6-way power front passenger seat adjuster, (UG1) Universal Home Remote, (AP9) trunk cargo convenience net and (DR2) outside heated power-adjustable mirrors) is available on the CX, but I don't know how much it costs.

*EDIT - it's a $950 option.

Aye....76CT ... too bad we didn't meet up when I came through Montgomery.

My rental for that trip was an '08 LaCrosse:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...ickWmc_jpg.html

I think the LaCrosse will fit the bill for your folks well. I didn't like it ... but, then again, I don't like FWD ... nor do I like leather seats ... both of which the LaCrosse I had featured.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I've got bruises on my memory" ... Dwight Yoakam ... 'Thousand Miles From Nowhere'

Actually, I have to throw the BS card on myself. The S-10 is actually a 2003 model, I think I stated earlier that it was an 05, but I was wrong, dunno how I got the years assbackwards, but I did. I'm thinking that they'll like the LaCrosse, and if I can find a G8, I will definitely try to talk them into it, but I have yet to find one, but I'm going to keep my eyes open for one, and when the chance comes, I'm going to look at it. I know that the Lucerne offers the dual-zone climate control, but its not standard, see my dad wants to go with the CX model LaCrosse simply because it comes with the dual zone climate control standard and all he'll have to really add is the lumbar adjustment for the seat. My parents are relatively simple when it comes to content in a vehicle. My dad see's the more stuff you add to the car, the more stuff that is likely to break, so if he can get out with just the lumbar adjustment and the base model LaCrosse, that's what he wants. I would, however; prefer a little more content in the car than he would, but at the same time, I know that the more you add, the more that can (and lets face it, probably will) break.

Well, went and looked today, it looks like its going to be a LaCrosse. I've got the sales brochure from the dealer, so that'll go to mom and dad's house so they can glance through it. The sales guy I talked to was a little snippy with me, so I pretty much just cut him loose after he unlocked the car for me and I got a chance to sit in it. I know that the guy is looking for the person that is going to buy right now, but he could have shown a little more courtesy since I know what my parents are looking for (which he apparently thinks I don't), and I know that they will be buying a new car off someone's lot. I hate to say that it probably won't be theirs, although I do appreciate the brochure and a chance to sit in all the seats that way I can give an impression to them.

Guest YellowJacket894
Well I lived it!!!! Bob Stemple who followed him was was a bumbling fool too. :rolleyes:

He was a dip$h!, as well. But, in my opinion, no man was better for the job of royally f@#king GM in the ass like Smith was and I pray to God no one comes along and does that job better.

Just an FYI, the first G8s are due to hit port in 2 weeks. I would guess that the southern states and California will get them on the lots first.

Good to know, but as with other threads where "G8" popped up, it's here why? :rolleyes:

Hopefully the Buick purchase is going okay...or whatever the choice may have changed to. I'd still say Lucerne CX, even on price, but a Lacrosse is ugh-able enough for me...well, I wouldn't buy one, but I see why some people do.

What colors are they thinking, or wheels, etc?

Have a good friend with a fully optioned black/black '05 Lacrosse CXS that he leased for 3 years, and just turned in this week...all the while still waiting for his new ordered Malibu LTZ to ever come in, and replace it. He seemed to really like his Lacrosse (had a 300M, then Acura CL-S before it), and the Malibu was his next step.

Edited by caddycruiser

good to know that they're going to be here soon, so at least I can keep my eyes open for the parents. As far as things are concerned, right now they're at a standstill. My mom slipped down the steps on wednesday morning and broke her knee (or at least a bone in it, along with some other damage), so she's going to have to have surgery (this'll be slice and dice #3 on this knee) on wednesday (day after tomorrow). So any an all car hunting for them is out.

As far as colors, either the Jewel Red tintcoat, or the Midnight Blue (I think). Interior is probably going to be the Titanium cloth (parents are NOT leather seat people). Only real options that have been said to me is the lumbar adjustment for my dad (his back isn't in the best shape), the 40/20/40 split bench, and the color selections. I haven't see him build any more options into the car that would warrant me mentioning (except for the hypothetical ones).

Overall, my mom and dad are pretty simple to shop for vehicle-wise, although the sales guy at the dealership here seemed to think that I didn't know what my parents wanted even though I practically had a handwritten list from them as far as what options and colors and like that they wanted. I'll do my best to keep this updated as new information comes in. I'm definitely going to be looking for a G8 once they hit the market officially, because I know that my dad would love to have a RWD car again, and I"m thinking that the G8 will be a perfect opporitunity for him to get that wish. If not, then I know that they will be happy with the Buick also.

The G8 is here because suggestions were asked for, and that's mine. The update is here because there was a question about G8 availability.

Re-reading, I see that. Sorry :AH-HA_wink:

Sounds like an interesting time, and sorry to hear about the leg/knee injury.

Too bad on the dealer too! I just completed 2 weeks of being my mother's personal car shopper, to the extent that she NEVER went to the dealer, called, etc. except for the night she picked up her new Malibu. I went down and got a car for her to drive at work (she never had to go anywhere), she said she wanted one and told me color and I knew what model, went back down and we searched. Found cars, made requests, I worked out her deals on trade and the new car, and after one was finally found...all she had to do was come down for a few minutes to sign the papers and swap cars.

I've done this before, and the local dealers seem to understand and "get me" as far as shopping for a parent, but some do find it odd. Understandably so, but still, it depends on the dealer and salesperson.