Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

Ford Still Thinking RWD?

41 posts in this topic

Ford_Interceptor_concept.jpg

Ford has quite a history of rear-wheel-drive concept cars — think Ford Interceptor or Lincoln Continental — but the company has stopped short of committing to actually produce such vehicles, until now.

At a meeting with members of the press, Derrick Kuzak, vice president of Global Product Development, said the company is indeed working on new RWD models for both the Ford and Lincoln brands. Outside of the Mustang, Ford has no rear-drive passenger cars, and Lincoln only has the dated Town Car, which will be discontinued in the near future.

Kuzak admitted "we’re working on a rear-wheel-drive plan" and such a strategy is "important going forward."

For full article, see http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-executive...-ambitions.html Edited by NOS2006

I really think they need some type of RWD vehicles, especially now that it's getting big. It seems like Ford was the only one keeping RWD alive with the Mustang, Continental, and Town Car. Now that RWD is getting popular again, all they've got is the Mustang.

With this new EcoBoost technology or whatever it's called, it would make a RWD Ford even more badass!

The article mentions the Mustang and Town Car, but there is also the Grand Marquis..(the CV went fleet-only for '08, but the GM is still around).

It's kind of sad that the Grand Marquis is still around. I forgot about that thing. It needed a redesign five years ago.

It's kind of sad that the Grand Marquis is still around. I forgot about that thing. It needed a redesign five years ago.

Yeah...Hertz still has 'em in Columbus and Pittsburgh...my favorite rental car along with the Town Car when I go back to the Ohio Valley for family visits...

cops and cabbies, cops and cabbies.....and an interceptor would be cool to tool around in. please make it AWD optional though, ford.

cops and cabbies, cops and cabbies.....and an interceptor would be cool to tool around in. please make it AWD optional though, ford.

Ooh, what about a black on black six-speed 5.0L AWD Interceptor with the twin-turbo EcoBoost setup? Sleeper!

Ooh, what about a black on black six-speed 5.0L AWD Interceptor with the twin-turbo EcoBoost setup? Sleeper!

Very cool idea...

speaking of 'sleepers', I've thought it would be fun to build a current-style CV Police Interceptor with the 500hp supercharged Shelby engine, flat black paint, steel wheels, beefed up suspension, etc..

Yeah, like a Marauder kinda? That would be sweet. I've got a little soft spot for Marauders..

Yeah, like a Marauder kinda? That would be sweet. I've got a little soft spot for Marauders..

You can get those real cheap.

Ahh, I rather have a '97-03 GP GTP or a late model Bonneville GXP, but it's still a sweet car.

Yes....like a Marauder on steroids. I like the Marauder, if I had the garage space, I'd buy one.

Well, I'm glad Ford, Chrysler and Hyundai (of all people) get it at least. GM is too timid.

I don't. I pronounce it "eeeeeee-co-boost" and "eh-co-tech." I don't know, sounds different to me. And it's Ecotec, not EcoTec. Minor differences. :)

Apparently the the RWD Ford will be a Taurus according to the resident BON insider. I wish they'd keep the Taurus FWD and call this a Fairlane or something.

Also, no Mercury version mentioned once again...

Mustang, remember them wanting to name everything starting with an F (Freestyle, Fairlane, etc.)? Well, they changed focus (no pun intended). They're now looking to make everything named Taurus. Taurus, Taurus X, Taurus ^2, etc. You didn't read that article? :P

Well, I'm glad Ford, Chrysler and Hyundai (of all people) get it at least. GM is too timid.

I disagree. GM is not too timid with rear wheel drive models. They have seven (that I can count) car models with rear wheel drive on the market, or within 1-2 months of coming to market. In the future, there is a new Alpha architecture coming that is rear wheel drive. Ford has three car models available to the buying public (Mustang, Town Car, Marquis) that are rear wheel drive. If any carmaker is too timid, it is Ford. This new big car rear drive architecture has been coming for awhile, and it's not materialized. So until there's an official announcement, this is just media masturbation. GM gets it, they get that many different facets of the changing marketplace and upcoming very stringent fuel economy standards. I'm not hearing any news about other automakers and how they are planning to change their lineups with these new stringent economy standards, especially nothing from Ford, Chrysler, or Hyundai. This doomsday stuff about rear wheel drive completely going away is not going to happen with GM. They have to have efficient rear wheel drive architectures for premium cars because that is what the market wants, at the same time they have to be efficient, so if they have to be smaller, or they have to change the way the bigger cars are powered, GM will find a way to do it. They have plenty of time.

Taurus cop car?

I much prefer 'Twin Force' to 'Ecoboost'. Ecoboost sounds like a shot of something you get at the juice bar or some vitamin supplement for AARPers.

Twin Force sounds more like KICKING ASS, which is what I prefer to do.

AWD optional, please.

I disagree. GM is not too timid with rear wheel drive models. They have seven (that I can count) car models with rear wheel drive on the market, or within 1-2 months of coming to market. In the future, there is a new Alpha architecture coming that is rear wheel drive. Ford has three car models available to the buying public (Mustang, Town Car, Marquis) that are rear wheel drive. If any carmaker is too timid, it is Ford. This new big car rear drive architecture has been coming for awhile, and it's not materialized. So until there's an official announcement, this is just media masturbation. GM gets it, they get that many different facets of the changing marketplace and upcoming very stringent fuel economy standards. I'm not hearing any news about other automakers and how they are planning to change their lineups with these new stringent economy standards, especially nothing from Ford, Chrysler, or Hyundai. This doomsday stuff about rear wheel drive completely going away is not going to happen with GM. They have to have efficient rear wheel drive architectures for premium cars because that is what the market wants, at the same time they have to be efficient, so if they have to be smaller, or they have to change the way the bigger cars are powered, GM will find a way to do it. They have plenty of time.

GM is just late to the game compared to Chrysler...after '96, GM became the king of FWD mediocremobiles and largely abandoned RWD for quite a while...

Long live RWD, I hope the Panther chassis replacement is BOF/RWD/V6-&-V8

Taurus cop car?

I much prefer 'Twin Force' to 'Ecoboost'. Ecoboost sounds like a shot of something you get at the juice bar or some vitamin supplement for AARPers.

Twin Force sounds more like KICKING ASS, which is what I prefer to do.

AWD optional, please.

Ford should've reserved both names...

The mainstream, sandal sportin' envirofreaks could be happy with EcoBoost while us gearheads could be appeased with Twin Force... Same system, different names. Or better yet, maybe they could tune the system differently and make 2 packages.

I'm glad Ford is still in the game. It seems we might see them rebound again after all. No mention of Mercury makes me nervous... Maybe Ford could make Mercury a quasi green division with hybrid tech and B segment cars to compliment a few larger/performance models.

Long live RWD, I hope the Panther chassis replacement is BOF/RWD/V6-&-V8

This makes me wonder, was there ever a 6-cyl Panther? They were V8s as long as I can remember...5.0s and 351s then the 4.6..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0