Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mark Reuss named head of GM Australia unit

Richard Truett

Automotive News

January 10, 2008 - 12:23 pm ET

DETROIT -- Mark Reuss, the executive behind General Motors' new generation of high-performance vehicles, has been promoted to vice president of GM Asia and managing director of GM's Australian subsidiary, GM Holden Ltd.

The promotion is effective Feb. 1. Reuss will report to Nick Reilly, GM group vice president and president of GM Asia Pacific.

Reuss, 44, an engineer, has been executive director of GM's global vehicle integration, safety and virtual vehicle development since 2006.

From 2001 to 2005, he was executive director of GM's performance division, which created the successful V series for Cadillac, SS line for Chevrolet and Red Line vehicles for Saturn.

The move to Australia is a natural progression for Reuss, son of former GM President Lloyd Reuss.

GM's North American operations have been leaning on Holden for high-performance rear-drive vehicles, such as the Pontiac GTO and G8. Holden played a big role in engineering the new Chevrolet Camaro.

Reuss will succeed Chris Gubbey, Holden's current managing director. Gubbey, 51, has been promoted to GM Europe vice president and managing director.

In that job, Gubbey will run GM Russia, which includes the Commonwealth of Independent States. He will report to Carl-Peter Forster, GM group vice president and president of GM Europe.

Warren Browne, 56, who now leads GM Russia, will become executive director of GM's European business development. One of Browne's main tasks is to lead GM's growth strategy for Turkey.

These guys just hop from post to post on their way up the Global corporate ladder. In a fat multi-tiered corporation like GM these guys struggle and compete to make names for themselves in the short time they're at their post - much like politicians do.

The downside is that the eye is on short-term success, turning annual profits, and not the long term

These guys just hop from post to post on their way up the Global corporate ladder. In a fat multi-tiered corporation like GM these guys struggle and compete to make names for themselves in the short time they're at their post - much like politicians do.

The downside is that the eye is on short-term success, turning annual profits, and not the long term

That may have been, but not this time.

That may have been, but not this time.

Perhaps that's true but 6 months is a very short stint in any role.

My greatest concern is the dual role - VP GMAP & MD Holden. PCS, as you well know Holden values it's isolation from the rest of the GM group as a sense of "autonomy". Being a forgotten outpost had it's upsides. Reuss' dual role in AP will dilute that sense of isolation and since his responsibility extends to the region, decisions to cut models or move production facilities will be made to ensure Regional performance, and not solely at the national level.

For example, if there's a business case to save money by moving Holden production off-shore it's easier to make that decision at the Regional level rather than at the national level. Reuss' dual role creates a conflict. In any case, I think it's fair to say that Holden is now well and truly drawn into the great pillowy bossom of mother GM.

My greatest concern is the dual role - VP GMAP & MD Holden. PCS, as you well know Holden values it's isolation from the rest of the GM group as a sense of "autonomy". Being a forgotten outpost had it's upsides. Reuss' dual role in AP will dilute that sense of isolation and since his responsibility extends to the region, decisions to cut models or move production facilities will be made to ensure Regional performance, and not solely at the national level.

For example, if there's a business case to save money by moving Holden production off-shore it's easier to make that decision at the Regional level rather than at the national level. Reuss' dual role creates a conflict. In any case, I think it's fair to say that Holden is now well and truly drawn into the great pillowy bossom of mother GM.

I hate to say it, but this post will make PCS' day.

True, I suppose. But neither my post, or PCS glee will affect the reality one way or another - no matter how influential he claims to be... :AH-HA_wink:

As I said, the assimilation begins. I take no particular glee in that, other than the fact there is only one GM. GM needed unity, it was a conflicted organization. With this perhaps there will be a single direction now.

Both of those were pretty solid offerings from an engineering standpoint. From humble minivan underpinnings he created both an entry-luxury "crossover" and a active lifetyle vehicle. Both were lacking in the aesthetics dept. (the Buick less so), but they do show Reuss' ability to make something out of nothing. He's the right guy for Holden, whose recent existence has thrived on taking scraps from other GM divisions and turning them into something worthwhile.

It's not a dual role. His position as a GM AP VP is MD of Holden. His position is analogous to Hans Demant's as GM Europe VP and MD Adam Opel. More significant is that the head of GM Holden is just a GM AP VP, while the head of GM Daewoo is a full GM VP (but not Group VP), even though all both report to Nick Reilly, GM Group VP in charge of GM Asia Pacific.

Edited by thegriffon

As I said, the assimilation begins. I take no particular glee in that, other than the fact there is only one GM. GM needed unity, it was a conflicted organization. With this perhaps there will be a single direction now.

queen.GIF

not a compliment.

Is it not an improvement that engineers are getting these promotions and not bean counters? Just asking.

GM Holden's release provides more details behind the reasoning for the move:

GM Announces Management Moves

Mark Reuss succeeds Chris Gubbey as new Chairman and Managing Director of GM Holden

Mark L. Reuss (44), Executive Director of Global Vehicle Systems and Integration, has been named GMAP Vice President, and Chairman and Managing Director of GM Holden. He takes up his new position on 1 February 2008.

Reuss will replace Chris Gubbey, who has been appointed GME Vice President and Managing Director, GM Russia and Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). Gubbey has been Chairman and Managing Director of GM Holden since August 2007.

Nick Reilly, GM Group Vice President and President of GM Asia Pacific, comments, “This is a fairly unusual move for GM. As a general rule, GM doesn’t move executives after such a short time, especially in such an important market as Australia, but Chris’ unique expertise in working within partnerships and in developing countries made him the ideal candidate to grow GM’s business in Russia at this critical time.

“Mark is the ideal replacement for Chris. His extensive leadership experience, as well as his product engineering and manufacturing knowledge, will be hugely beneficial to GM Holden. His previous work on global programs and systems integration are very appropriate for Holden’s future.”

Reuss first joined GM in 1983, and during his 25 years has led various product organisations including being responsible for overseeing the production studios where ideas for GM brands that come from GM’s marketing divisions are moved quickly to second-stage production.

He was appointed Executive Director, Architecture Engineering and GM Performance Division in 2001 where he started the new GM Performance Division and launched associated production products and race vehicles. This responsibility included all production engineering in the creative design studios and concept vehicle production for auto shows.

In October of 2005, Mark was appointed Executive Director, North American Vehicle Systems and Architecture. In this job he held the release engineering responsibilities for North American Vehicles in all functions of the vehicle.

His educational qualifications include a Bachelor of Engineering degree in mechanical engineering from Vanderbilt University in 1986, and Masters in Business Administration from Duke University in 1990.

He is a certified Industry Pool test driver on the North Course of the famed Nurburgring and has earned his license for Grand American Road Racing.

Chris Gubbey, joined GM Holden in August 2007 after seven years in China. Under his leadership, Shanghai GM - GM's flagship joint venture in China - became China's largest manufacturer of passenger cars and the country's most advanced automaker.

Chris comments, “It has been an exciting and whirlwind few months at GM Holden which has included the launch of the VE Ute, the announcement of VE Sportwagon and the strengthening of our export business model with the start of Pontiac G8 production.

“With Holden’s growing role within GM globally, I am confident that the business is moving in the right direction.

“Whilst I’m obviously excited about the new challenge in Russia, I feel a genuine sadness to be moving on during this dynamic time for GM Holden.

“Being a real product guy, I’m sure that Mark will be a great asset in a company, and a country, that truly loves its cars.”

It's not a dual role. His position as a GM AP VP is MD of Holden. His position is analogous to Hans Demant's as GM Europe VP and MD Adam Opel. More significant is that the head of GM Holden is just a GM AP VP, while the head of GM Daewoo is a full GM VP (but not Group VP), even though all both report to Nick Reilly, GM Group VP in charge of GM Asia Pacific.

Thanks for the additional info too. My concern, as previously stated, is simply that this is a reflection of Holden being drawn into the GLobal business. Holden is no longer a small GM subsidiary, quite different to the rest of the GM group (producing a single large architecture for local consumption) and the decision to continue or discontinue platforms/facilities is no longer really their own. Not so long ago Holden was pretty much left to it's own devices so long as it remained a viable operation.

Or alternatively, maybe this really means nothing at all ....who knows :rolleyes:

A single direction? While I agree that GM needs better focus I believe the unintentional consequence of being a fractured organisiation is that GM does niche models better than anyone else - Great cars like CTS, Corvette, VE, most of the Opels and soon the Volt.

Toyota does "single direction" really well but look at the product.... in the most part homogenised appliances without much soul but appealling to the masses. Hopefully GM doesn't lose sight of their strengths, and then learn how to capitalise on these strengths.

A single direction? While I agree that GM needs better focus I believe the unintentional consequence of being a fractured organisiation is that GM does niche models better than anyone else - Great cars like CTS, Corvette, VE, most of the Opels and soon the Volt.

Toyota does "single direction" really well but look at the product.... in the most part homogenised appliances without much soul but appealling to the masses. Hopefully GM doesn't lose sight of their strengths, and then learn how to capitalise on these strengths.

Agreed.

More on this over at CZ28.com:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread...d=1#post5104484

I'm feeling pretty good about this despite what PCS has to say.

Agreed.

Thanks for the link, Camino, I feel a little more confident knowing more of Reuss' experience. If Reuss is really a "car guy" rather than an accountant (no offense, PCS :AH-HA_wink: ) then it could indeed be good for Holden. Car guys have been good to Holden - Peter Hanenberger was Chairman & MD (and a GM Group VP) until 2004, and is largely credited with the development of VE as well as radically overhauling the manufacturing capacity and processes.

With his performance background, maybe Reuss is a good fit - No doubt we'll soon see.

Agreed.

Eat drink and me merry, for tomorrow we die, isn't that what the gladiators said in ancient Rome? Or something to that effect.

If Reuss is really a "car guy" rather than an accountant (no offense, PCS :AH-HA_wink: )

None taken, but I'm no accountant. I've been described more like your friendly internal corporate assassin. Be that as it may, I do take pride in my work. :smilewide:

You don't need a gun to subdue a target, at least not the ones I go after. There are many ways to skin a cat. :AH-HA_wink:

mmmeeeeooowwwww! puuuuuurrrrrrr....puuuuuuuurrrrrr..... :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by zetaman

errr, weren't the last two guys "real GMers"? This sounds more like European parochialism (upset that Holden dumped the Corsa and Vectra for the Aveo and Epica—but this is just part of replacing Opel with Chevrolet in the Asia-Pacific region) than GM homogenization. They already sell mostly rebadged Opels and international Chevrolets (and if you count export markets for the Commodore and Caprice, only rebadged Opels and Chevrolets), unlike other parts of GM which had to have their own unique products. How much more "assimilated" can they get? Even the Torana concept was oh-so-much a rwd interpretation of the original Epsilon-Vectra. Admittedly they've made some blunders (dropping the Corsa instead of sourcing it from South Africa; selling the former Daewoos as Holdens instead of Chevrolets, bringing in the Suburban instead of the Tahoe), but dumping the Holden name in favor of Opel is the dumbest idea since (I can't think of a dumber idea—it's on a par with rebadging Opels as Saturns in Europe). Holden is a national icon, Opel is a total unknown. You'd get more sales by badging the European-designed models as Pontiacs than as Opels, and even then the local media would turn on them like a rabid dog. Aussies know Chevrolet, and Cadillac, and to a lesser extent Pontiac, Buick and even GMC (and they pay exorbitant prices to import and convert them themselves). Opel? Don't we dig them out of the ground?