INCENTIVES IN HIGH GEAR

Wow, there are still 17 of them left in LA -- a good deal if you need a midsize sedan. I think this makes it the cheapest (actual price) one out there, tying with Kia's.

'07 Optima auto - $15k

'07 G6 - $15k

'07 Sebring - $15k

'08 Fusion auto - $17k

'08 Sonata auto - $17k

'07 6 auto - $17.5k

'08 Avenger - $18k

'08 Camry auto - $18k

i've seen some used 07 kia optimas around here hovering near 10 grand, that is old taurus territory.

the deal breaker on the G6 SV is no remote entry or cruise. i would guess remote entry can be added. cruise is tougher i think. move up from the SV and it escalates in price pretty quick. even with big rebates, i can get a new similarly optioned 08 taurus for probably better deals than say, a loaded g6.

impala has a luxury package on the LT 3.5 that makes a good buy for someone who wanted a leather lined car for not a lot of cash.

i followed a new red impala SS the other day. it doesn't have the chrome on the trunk, which is hot. good looking car! myself, unless i were getting the malibu LTZ, I would stick with the impala and get more for my money. You could probably get an SS small block impala for less than a Malibu LTZ right now. or close to it.

a local dealer has a new 05 pontiac montana AWD in stock still ! LOL new 05! leather etc. that thing would need 15k in rebates to move.

Edited by regfootball

i've seen some used 07 kia optimas around here hovering near 10 grand, that is old taurus territory.

the deal breaker on the G6 SV is no remote entry or cruise. i would guess remote entry can be added. cruise is tougher i think. move up from the SV and it escalates in price pretty quick. even with big rebates, i can get a new similarly optioned 08 taurus for probably better deals than say, a loaded g6.

impala has a luxury package on the LT 3.5 that makes a good buy for someone who wanted a leather lined car for not a lot of cash.

i followed a new red impala SS the other day. it doesn't have the chrome on the trunk, which is hot. good looking car! myself, unless i were getting the malibu LTZ, I would stick with the impala and get more for my money. You could probably get an SS small block impala for less than a Malibu LTZ right now. or close to it.

a local dealer has a new 05 pontiac montana AWD in stock still ! LOL new 05! leather etc. that thing would need 15k in rebates to move.

Damn, there are dealers on eBay selling new Tauruses at $19K. The CarsDirect price for one is $20.5k! That's lower than the lowest possible price for a base Accord.

It's mighty tempting, though ultimately the V-6 fuel economy and full-size heft might dissuade some people. The Taurus should be offered with the next-gen I-4s, perhaps with Ecoboost. Even normally aspirated it would produce more power than the POS Vulcan V-6 on the previous gen.

Edited by empowah

Damn, there are dealers on eBay selling new Tauruses at $19K. The CarsDirect price for one is $20.5k! That's lower than the lowest possible price for a base Accord.

It's mighty tempting, though ultimately the V-6 fuel economy and full-size heft might dissuade some people. The Taurus should be offered with the next-gen I-4s, perhaps with Ecoboost. Even normally aspirated it would produce more power than the POS Vulcan V-6 on the previous gen.

taurus actually has good real world mpg. now, not vs. an accord four, but i would expect the v6 accord to not be much better than the taurus.

many of the cute utes, regardless of make or 4 cylinders, rarely get much more than 20mpg and the taurus should easily reach that in everyday driving. reading on BON and other ford sites, many are getting close to or in excess of 30 on trips with the taurus x and taurus already. both the 500 and freestyle had good mpg performance.

most of the mid size 4 cylinder sedans will only average about 23-25 mpg real world and most v6 sedans will consistently be around 20 mpg. so while the taurus is larger, it still gets midsize mpg, and it upsets me that ford is not getting that word out. the AWD version (which is not available on many other cars) does see a bit of a drop which is expected.

the accord and camry and maybe the altima are the only 4 cylinder midsizers that really go above the normal average for a 4 cylinder midsize. of that bunch the altima has the CVT which is a nice feature for that car because the automatic is smoother, then.

since this was supposed to be a gm thread i guess i will jump in here and say the impala's strength is good real world mileage too and with the incentives now on them its a good time to buy one if you are looking to get good mileage.

the G6 i would consider with 4 cylinder probably doesn't get the best real world mileage but the purchase price is attractive.

Is the $3k GM card discount on any vehicle (excl. Saab & Saturn of course)? I know typically most of them have a max discount amount that can be applied from the GM card.

i think it depends on which gm card you have. i have the old original plan still, so i have fewer restrictions.

i'll say this, if saturn and saab allowed gm card, i would really be interested in one of those. hummer does accept gm card.

My buddy at the local dealer just gave me these prices.....

1SV is pwr windows locks but no criuse. same incentive on higher priced G6, malibu has no rebates just your gm card a msrp 21065 g6 would cost you 14131 and i was wrong on the 1SV 08 would be 11913

Edited by BuddyP

Okay, if the incentives are in high gear, then I want to see GMAC put out a really good lease loyalty program (aka "pull-ahead" program) that covers more than just two payments. If GM wants to sell cars bad enough, I may be able to pull off buying one as early as February if they're willing to make my remaining six lease payments on the Envoy go "bye-bye"!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

The VUE has a crapload of incentives.

$1,500 Cash Allowances AND $1,000 Bonus Cash or As low as 1.9% APR for qualified buyers AND $1,000 Bonus Cash

That means an XR FWD with Premium Trim (leather) is $22,763 with CarsDirect pricing, $21,757 with GM Supplier pricing, and $20,676 with GM Employee pricing.

I actually got $3,000 in rebates off my Vue because in the metro Detroit market, they had an extra $500 auto show bonus that lasted until Jan. 31. I got leather, convenience, chrome lower facia and cargo cover for around $21,400.

BTW - to get the vehicle you quoted, Vue XR FWD with leather would be $24,175 GMS less the $2500 rebate unless the price you quoted was for an "old invoice" model where they give you an extra $1000 off on any vehicle on the lot before 9/1/07. I'm not even sure if that rebate is still going or not. It doesn't show up on Edmunds any more.

Edit - Maybe the price you quoted excluded the destination charge? They've also had two increases in the base price since the new model was introduced. The first one was a small one (Octoberish ~$100?) and the second one was a bigger one (Jan. 1st ~$400?). My Vue had the base price after the small increase.

Edited by 2QuickZ's

BTW - to get the vehicle you quoted, Vue XR FWD with leather would be $24,175 GMS less the $2500 rebate unless the price you quoted was for an "old invoice" model where they give you an extra $1000 off on any vehicle on the lot before 9/1/07. I'm not even sure if that rebate is still going or not. It doesn't show up on Edmunds any more.

Yeah, I got the same GMS price but less $3500 instead of $2500. According to the Saturn site, you can get $1000 off in lieu of 1.9% APR, in addition to the $1500 cash allowance and $1000 bonus cash.

Hmmm. Maybe that is one of the regional things? For here in Michigan, the Saturn website shows a $1500 rebate plus the $1000 ($2500) or 1.9% plus $1000.

Since you are in California and GM isn't a strong seller out there, they may be doing more regionally in that market to draw in customers. Either way, the Vue is a pretty damn good deal right now, especially if you qualify for GMS. My wife and I love ours!

I wish my wife would be more excited about the VUE. Today we went and test drove the Volvo S40 sedan and V50 wagon; she loves them both. We were planning to test drive the VUE, but we left later than planned and spent way too much time at the Volvo dealership. Since we're not in a hurry to buy, I'm going to see about her driving one later next week.

I wish my wife would be more excited about the VUE. Today we went and test drove the Volvo S40 sedan and V50 wagon; she loves them both. We were planning to test drive the VUE, but we left later than planned and spent way too much time at the Volvo dealership. Since we're not in a hurry to buy, I'm going to see about her driving one later next week.

Well, you might want her to hang around the service drive thru on a weekday morning of a Volvo dealer and have her talk to the owner's, under cover. I've seen Volvo owners justify $6k in repairs in a single year, because it is a "Volvo." And that was before Ford bought them!

$2k to get the a/c working?

Well, you might want her to hang around the service drive thru on a weekday morning of a Volvo dealer and have her talk to the owner's, under cover. I've seen Volvo owners justify $6k in repairs in a single year, because it is a "Volvo." And that was before Ford bought them!

I thought that was with the older models...

Most people that I know who have them have had good luck with them...

coworker spent 600 bucks to replace a mirror on their volvo last week. ouch

Which is why I like leasing the best, because it is the great equalizer. If you are shopping a Saturn and a Volvo, for example, it is easy to compare a 4 year lease payment. Lease it, then run like hell; of course, you will pay more for the Volvo anyway, but at least you will enjoy it before it starts 'nickel and diming' you to death. Otherwise, for those who simply must look at the 'imports,' I always challenge them to call up the local dealer and compare parts. How much for a starter? How much for an alternator? How much for the power window motors? Compare those three items alone, and you will get a clearer picture of the 'cost of ownership.'

That must be why the service drive-thru at my local Honda dealer is lined up out the door in the morning............