Smart

Eye opening

Accomplishment

Curves

Straightaways

Awe

... and so on.

Then it goes on to say...

Car. One simple word. Packed with so much meaning. To some, it stands for freedom. To others it's hood scoops and horsepower. For others still, it means fun and escape. We all have our own personal definitions. They all mean something special. So let's bring car back. And all the good it stands for.

From the company that always was, and will be, Car.

Reminds me a bit of Crispin Porter + Bogusky's original MINI "motoring" theme back in '02, Nissan's SHIFT_, Jaguar's "Gorgeous", and VW's "Das Auto".

MINI "Mantra"

Let's motor. Let's sip, not guzzle. Let's leave off-road vehicles off-road. Let's stop pretending we live in the jungle. Let's stop intimidating each other. Let's not use the size of our vehicle to compensate for other shortcomings. Let's reclaim our bicycle lanes. Let's be happy. Let's have joy.

Let's be honest. Let's burn the directions. Let's get lost. Let's learn. Let's turn left when we should turn right. Let's not be-right-back. Let's hold out until the next stop. Let's break routine, but not make a routine out of it.

Let's teach it tricks. Let's give it a name. Let's show it some affection. Let's wash it. Let's treat it like family. Let's create our own styles. Let's teach them unto others.

Let's mess with perfection. Let's bumper sticker it. Let's bonnet stripe it. Let's fuzzy dice it. Let's paint it. Let's graduation-tassel it.

Let's motor.

Nissan "SHIFT_"

SHIFT_...

transform

capacity

speed

outings

performance

autobots

robotron

expectations

future

conformity

youth

technique

venues

beauty

creativity

play

bonding

assumptions

canvas

affection

environment

continents

journeys

expectations

status quo

inspiration

frontier

excitement

limits

possibility

... and so on.

Jaguar "Gorgeous"

"Gorgeous. Gorgeous deserves your immediate attention. Gorgeous makes effort looks effortless. Gorgeous stays up late and still looks gorgeous. Gorgeous has no love for logic. Gorgeous loves fast. Everyone cares what Gorgeous says. Gorgeous gets in everywhere. Gorgeous can't be ordinary even if it tries. Gorgeous pays for itself in the first five seconds. Gorgeous doesn't care at all what others were doing. Gorgeous was born that way. Gorgeous trumps everything. Gorgeous is worth it.

VW "Das Auto" = "The Car"

The idea is that VW is to the Automobile as Coke is to soda, or as Hoover is to vacuum cleaner, or as Kleenex is to facial tissue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ZSsKyq1Fw

Edited by empowah

As with most advertising little is totally original anymore

I would lover to hear Clint Eastwood, Paul Newman or some other big star do the voice over that many would know who it is once he is heard.

On the Donald Trump show they used Trace Adkins the country singer for a voice over. He sounded like God. He also would be a good option.

All your RWD are made by us!

I think "Our Cars Can Kick the Crap out of your B<W for Much Less" Would be more to the point. 3

Or "We are Not Your Over Promised FWD Excitment Rusted Out Father Grand Am or my Moms Aztec Anymore."

And Finally "My Car Can Beat Your Car."

Just kidding here but Pontiac needs a fresh start as old slogans of past cars that lost the Excitment in the first place will not work.

The key here is ther old gard Pontiac fans are too few anymore and the people we need to sell these cars too were born after Smokey anf the Bandit came out at the Theaters.

Pontiac needs to win people who are now buying low end Lexus, Acura and BMW now not Toyota ie Chevy.

The Pontiac today is going to be for the people who enjoy the drive and are not just getting there. People who show pride or identify with the car or cars status it brings.

The new slogan need Image and swagger. We now have a real car to back it up in the G8 or GXP Solstice. These are the first real Euro styled Pontiac's ever unless you believed them in 1973 with the Grand AM or in 84 with the STE. I was not fooled and few others were to.

:rolleyes:

To quote myself in the G8 ST thread:

I'll bet you money that I could come up with something way better than this!

8)

I know you could as most marketing and advertising people I know with are total idiots. And I have worked with a lot of them.

There are a few good ones but there are 4 bad ones for ever good one.

Pontiac's new slogan should be, Our slogan sucks, just like the new G8! Oops, did I actually say what I was thinking? :P

HaHa...btw, have you put an Avis sticker on your W-body POS? :)

Edited by moltar

How frickin' STUPID and IDIOTIC.

Listen GM.....why don't you bring back "We Build Excitement" and then give Pontiac a product portfolio that actually lives up to the tagline! (Buick could stand to do the same with "Premium American Motorcars.)

Not sure if GM wants to bring back the 1988 Grand Am that's associated with that...

Yeah, 'We Build Excitement' reminds me of Pontiac's gaudy, cheesy plastic FWD era..

Thatt is the problem as the past was not as Exciting as ome want to believe it was.

The real Pontiac excitment was one generation before the target buying market was born. They don's think GTO"S and Firebird's. They remember Tacky FWD Grand Am's and Sunbirds.

Pontiac is at a crossroad just as it was with the Silver Streaks in the 50's. That is where Bunkie gave Pontiac a new updated image that lead to the rise of the division in the 60's. Pontiac is in need of a new make over and stop trying to live on the past. Most in the general public do not understand the heritage of widetrack and Excitment when you say Pontiac anymore because time has past these catch term by.

Bringing back Exciment is like bringing back See the USA in a Cheverolet for Chevy.

I think "Our Cars Can Kick the Crap out of your B<W for Much Less" Would be more to the point. 3

Or "We are Not Your Over Promised FWD Excitment Rusted Out Father Grand Am or my Moms Aztec Anymore."

And Finally "My Car Can Beat Your Car."

Just kidding here but Pontiac needs a fresh start as old slogans of past cars that lost the Excitment in the first place will not work.

The key here is ther old gard Pontiac fans are too few anymore and the people we need to sell these cars too were born after Smokey anf the Bandit came out at the Theaters.

Pontiac needs to win people who are now buying low end Lexus, Acura and BMW now not Toyota ie Chevy.

The Pontiac today is going to be for the people who enjoy the drive and are not just getting there. People who show pride or identify with the car or cars status it brings.

The new slogan need Image and swagger. We now have a real car to back it up in the G8 or GXP Solstice. These are the first real Euro styled Pontiac's ever unless you believed them in 1973 with the Grand AM or in 84 with the STE. I was not fooled and few others were to.

I am one of those low-end BMW buyers and I think they should go back to "We Build Excitement" and back it up with Product. Next, lose the dorky "Gx" naming scheme. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan has served BMW well since they "borrowed it" from the GTO. "We Build Excitement" was a good slogan -- the product just needs to live up to the image.

I am one of those low-end BMW buyers and I think they should go back to "We Build Excitement" and back it up with Product. Next, lose the dorky "Gx" naming scheme. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan has served BMW well since they "borrowed it" from the GTO. "We Build Excitement" was a good slogan -- the product just needs to live up to the image.

The problem shows in your screen name. You appear to be a biased Pontiac fan just as I am.

I agree it is a good slogan but it was used up. We need to think in terms as outsiders of the Pontiac circle of trust.

We Build Excitment just does not hold the same meaning to the non Pontiac fan that needs to be sold on this car. Pontiac today needs to have a Moto or phrase that will make new buyers look and give Pontiac a chance that before would never had considered them.

If you tell a average Acura or Audi owner Pontiac Builds Excitment I don't think your going to get the same reaction as you would get from you or myself. It would have been like naming the Solstice a Fiero. The term is used up in the general public.

The problem shows in your screen name. You appear to be a biased Pontiac fan just as I am.

I agree it is a good slogan but it was used up. We need to think in terms as outsiders of the Pontiac circle of trust.

We Build Excitment just does not hold the same meaning to the non Pontiac fan that needs to be sold on this car. Pontiac today needs to have a Moto or phrase that will make new buyers look and give Pontiac a chance that before would never had considered them.

If you tell a average Acura or Audi owner Pontiac Builds Excitment I don't think your going to get the same reaction as you would get from you or myself. It would have been like naming the Solstice a Fiero. The term is used up in the general public.

The exact buyers you're saying Pontiac needs to attract have likely never heard the "We Build Excitement" slogan -- so reusing it should not be an issue...the only people who'd like remember it would be the Pontiac fans. Pontiac needs to carefully craft an image for the brand, similar to how Mini has executed their strategy. IMO to be very clear, Pontiac should be targeting CPO BMWs and Infinitis.

And for the record, my screen name comes from the one and only Pontiac I've ever owned (a 1968). I have however owned 2 GMCs, 3 Subarus, 4 Nissans, 2 Mazdas, 2 BMWs, 2 Kawasaki's and 1 Harley-Davidson. When GM decides to build a car that fits what I'm looking for, then they'll get my money.

Also, Acuras nothing to do with an exciting driving experience.

• 2 months later...

I actually think that "Pontiac is CAR" is a good campaign/slogan. Yeah, you can spin it whatever negative way ya want, but they aren't speaking broken english or anything, they are talking about a concept. The concept of what a car is - as they said in the launch commercial "when you hear "car", what do you think?" And they proceed to talk about freedom, expression, passion, everything that makes us love and long for cars - everything that Pontiac is. It's also short and to the point, easy to remember.

I think that "Designed For Action" is better, but it's still good. "Fuel For The Soul" was even better.

In reference to the debate about old campaigns, I don't believe that anything can be "used up" and be no good anymore. That's "politically correct" thinking - that something has been besmirched and is therefore off limits to everyone, for all time - words, phrases, images/symbols, even thoughts and ideas.

People can re-claim all of those things, and the PC types be-damned.

We Build Excitement is a damn good campaign, with the accompanying "Driving Excitement" for print ads and such. The BEST ever car commercial was made in '87/'88 under that campaign. Check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0IIoYkJaM

That makes me want to break out my 2002 WS6 Trans Am, pull out the T-Tops, pop that song in the CD player, _crank_ it and go blitz the back roads and look for trouble. It also makes me miss my '88 GTA. :(

In the comments for that video, user RazorRC3 pretty much hit it right on the head - "After reading Jim Wagner's book "Glory Days" It's true that this is about capturing the image of what Pontiac is all about. Excitement, Youth, cultural times, and Product marketing. It's true that in today's automotive world everything is bland, even for for Pontiac. Slogans used from the past: "Wide-Track Pontiac", "We build excitement," and "Wider is better" themes were great to bring the product out. Today is nothing more then hyping up products that don't inspire anyone to buy unfortunately"

I can just see that re-created/edited with modern footage of Solsti, G8s, G6 GXPs, G5s, and Vibes. Hell, toss in some GTO and '02 Trans Am action to REALLY show 'em how it's done. :D

Others would work today too. I watched that 09 Vibe launch thing at Pontiac Underground and they mentioned that they widened the track - why? "Wider is Better"

On a side note - anyone have access to the full length track of that song in that YouTube link? I see people have asked on YouTube, and I emailed PontiacPower.net asking about it, but so far, nothing. I've heard that it was on cassettes in 87 handed out with (some?) purchases, so it has to exist and be out there somewhere.

*chuckles*

Lately, whenever I've heard that slogan (Pontiac is car), the first thing that has come to mind ... is KARR.... he he.

I suspect I'm the only one thinkin' that, too ... and that's fine be me! he he

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song" ... David Allen Coe ... 'You Never Called Me By My Name'

The bottom line is what Pontiac had been using has not worked in a long time.

If you target just Pontiac Enthusiast your not going to gain or iincrease sales as many of the original Pontiac fans have moved on or are six feet under.

Pontiac needs a rehash they have not seen since Bunkies day. If he had just targeted the Pontiac fans in 1957 Pontiac would have not ever seen the GTO and a new wave of younger buyers.

You need to give the people under 40 some reason to look as of now they no longer we build excitment after the last 20 years.

The new cars like the G8 deserve bettter than a con line for a FWD Grand Am.

New divisional slogans:

Pontiac: "We build Chevrolets and Holdens that look just a little sportier but pretty much drive the same"

GMC: "Chevrolet Trucks with different grills sold at different dealers"

Buick: "Cushier Chevrolets"

Saturn: "Rethink what was Oldsmobile - a Chevrolet or an Opel with prettier tail lights"

Saab: "Born from Opels"

Hummer: "Dressed up Chevys for imperial wannabes or rich MILFs in lousy marriages or dudes with small..."

Chevrolet: "The Toyota brand of General Motors North America but with pushrods"

Cadillac: "30 years of chasing the Germans. We're trying alright!? Give us a break!"

New divisional slogans:

Cute.

Pontiac: "We build Chevrolets and Holdens that look just a little sportier but pretty much drive the same"
Until the disastrous corporate homogenization, this was not true, and even after that, they've been trying, they remain chained by managerial stupidity and schizophrenia. They need to be unleashed, and we need another John Delorean back. Someone with balls and vision.

That said, even the 3rd Gens were differentiated in ride. The GTA's especially had a more comfortable ride and were better suited to the back roads. Plus they've always had more refinement. If the guy in charge of Pontiac's "sporty cars" back in the 80s, who created the GTA, had gotten his way, ALL GTAs would have been like the '89 Anniversary (with the GNX engine), leaving the V8 crowd to chevy. Soon after, IRS would have been implemented. He was chasing RX-7/300Z buyers with that car.

The Fiero was another home run, snuck in only as an econo-car, but killed off in it's prime for no good reason. That would be perfect along the MR-S and Elise. A perfect stable-mate to the Solstice.

Cadillac: "30 years of chasing the Germans. We're trying alright!? Give us a break!"

Management ruined this brand too, but that's all water under the bridge. The CTS is a better car than the 3 Series and the -V is better than the M.

They need to be unleashed, and we need another John Delorean back. Someone with balls and vision.

I sometimes dream of being that person. :AH-HA_wink:

But, of course, at the same time, I don't dream about building a failed sports car and getting arrested on charges of trafficking cocaine. :smilewide:

Edited by YellowJacket894