Had to use a company car this morning

Satty

I was drafted to move a very large item (think boat-sized and boat-shaped) yesterday but didn't do it, so I had to do it this morning. Obviously my Fusion isn't equipped to tow one of these so I had to borrow something. There is at least one Outlook in the fleet, but it was gone today, so I was left with either a Durango (ew!) or one of the dozen or moreTundras sitting there. I'll say this, the Tundra tows easily and rides very well with a trailer in tow.

An elephant pulls large loads well too, doesn't mean I want one $h!ting on my rug.

The Tundra is not the total POS that some people make it out to be, but the point is that GM and Ford still build better trucks than Toyota and Nissan.

Chris

Did you wash your pants and disinfect your butt after sitting in that thing? Because you're not allowed in my car until you do.

Yup, it's the nastiest & most contagious plague... narroly beating out the HIV...

The Tundra is not the total POS that some people make it out to be, but the point is that GM and Ford still build better trucks than Toyota and Nissan.

Chris

Very good point. It is far from awful, but still shows how GM-Ford mainly still do "know" the truck market better than anyone else.

QUOTE(66Stang @ Jan 12 2008, 04:24 PM)

Chris

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now, and Chris's comments brought it to a head. The Tundra is not as bad as a lot of us have labeled it. Yeah, it has it's faults - ugly and poorly constructed - but it does do something that needed to be done in the full sized truck segment - it does shake things up. No longer will truck designers be stuck with 90 degree angles in the design room. Back seats no longer need to be uncomfortable church pews and in a fixed position. Interiors do not need to be designed with Legos and Mega Blocks. (Kudos for Toyota for being different...even if it is distasteful) (The GMT-900's interiors in the LTZ are very attractive out of the Tahoe/Denali and break the Truck only dash mold as well) Truck makers in the Big 3 will need to pay attention to the 75,000 customers that they lost to the Tundra or they will loose more market share. Toyota will not rest on thier mistakes with the Tundra and they will surely find a way to find suppliers that will give them the parts they need to keep the truck moving forward...(had to say that.) Toyota will fix these problems and probably get stronger from all of this. GM and especially Ford and Dodge had better get off of the high horse and take a look at the GOOD points of the Tundra or they will loose more and more shares of the full sized market. And the Toyota's shortcomings had better be a lesson to them all that the world is watching every manufacturer and it only takes a few minutes for word of faulty tailgates, breaking driveshafts, shakey beds, bad location of tow hooks, stupidity of the ESC system shutting off in 4WD. poor mileage, broken cams...it was on the web faster that Toyota could smooth it over with thier wonderful PR. The world is watching this truck and will watch how the rest of the guys respond.

I still wouldn't be caught dead in one :AH-HA_wink:

The church pew back seat died with the '99 revamp of the Silverado. It was only Ford and Dodge that continued to sacrifice rear seat back angle for bigger bragging rights on leg room. The explosion of the 'crew cab' is only a marketing ploy. They have been around forever; they only just took off in popularity in the past 4 or 5 years.

The Tundra only exists as part of Toyota's Master Plan of World Domination and to put another nail in the coffin of Detroit. The truck brings nothing new to the table and benefits no one, other than Japan Inc. and the morons who are flocking to Toyota dealers to buy one.

Is it a bad truck? No. Is it necessary? Also, no. Are we going to sacrifice our manufacturing base on the Monument of Choice? Yes, we are.

When I took the truck back, all the "Company Vehicle" parking spots were full, final count: 11 Tundras 2 Durangos 2 Silverados 1 Outlook and 1 Express

I also know that we have at least one more Tundra and one FJ Cruiser but they for photo ops not for menial tasks.

When I took the truck back, all the "Company Vehicle" parking spots were full, final count: 11 Tundras 2 Durangos 2 Silverados 1 Outlook and 1 Express

I also know that we have at least one more Tundra and one FJ Cruiser but they for photo ops not for menial tasks.

What company do you work for, that is dilligently humping the turd?

design_2006_05.jpg

The funny part is that I dont get any sort of price break on a new Toyota, in fact all I get is $500 off invoice on a new Chevy or $250 off a used vehicle, only good at one dealership, the one I wouldn't shop at no matter what.

Edited by Satty

I've got a disinfecting spray at work that's purported to kill HIV, shall I bring it and allow it to be used?

You found a spray that kills all homosexuals!?

Okay, I couldn't help but bring out a senselessly inappropriate joke at 3am...

design_2006_05.jpg

The funny part is that I dont get any sort of price break on a new Toyota, in fact all I get is $500 off invoice on a new Chevy or $250 off a used vehicle, only good at one dealership, the one I wouldn't shop at no matter what.

You know what - this pisses me off to no end. Toyota has bought the rights to EVERY F^%$ing event and sport in the US and it further ingratiates itself to the American Public. I was enjoying the incredibly cheesy rebirth of American Gladiators the other day, only to find that it is being sponsored by Toyota and it's all new Saquoia. Ruined the show for me. Fast forward to last night - watching Pearl Harbor (nothing else on, and I have a crush on Kate Beckinsale) and what company was allowed to advertise between scenes of Americans getting blown away by Japanese planes? Toyota. ( At least it was not Mitsubishi) Toyota now sponsors EVERY form of racing and has elbowed it's way into Nascar with huge $$$ outlays. They have BOUGHT the market now. They own it. Toyota is now being offered up as American as any brand out there. AND IT SUCKS! Now they own Bass Fishing and Bass Pro Shops...guess Bass Pro Shops does not need my money any more either. Do they take Yen at the check out counters now?

You know what - this pisses me off to no end. Toyota has bought the rights to EVERY F^%$ing event and sport in the US and it further ingratiates itself to the American Public. I was enjoying the incredibly cheesy rebirth of American Gladiators the other day, only to find that it is being sponsored by Toyota and it's all new Saquoia. Ruined the show for me. Fast forward to last night - watching Pearl Harbor (nothing else on, and I have a crush on Kate Beckinsale) and what company was allowed to advertise between scenes of Americans getting blown away by Japanese planes? Toyota. ( At least it was not Mitsubishi) Toyota now sponsors EVERY form of racing and has elbowed it's way into Nascar with huge $$$ outlays. They have BOUGHT the market now. They own it. Toyota is now being offered up as American as any brand out there. AND IT SUCKS! Now they own Bass Fishing and Bass Pro Shops...guess Bass Pro Shops does not need my money any more either. Do they take Yen at the check out counters now?

And what else will they do with all their billions and billions of pocket change?

Ever play a losing game of monopoly--not much difference. A hotel on baltic? Sure, why not?

• 7 months later...

Found out the other day that I actually can get a pretty sweetheart deal on a Tundra.