Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2009 Impala 50th Anniversary Edition

Yes, yes, the Impala was launched in 1958 as a subseries of the topline Bel-Air in 2-door hardtop coupe and 2-door soft-top convertible body styles (the others were the Delray and Biscayne, which respectively replaced 150/210 for the one-year-only design, then Delray in name only was dropped and Biscayne and Bel-Air were downshifted to the previous levels), but it was 1959 when Impala displaced the Bel-Air as a series name, thus the 50th anniversary.

The Impala shown looked like it had 80U Red Jewel Tintcoat paint and it looks to be based on one of the LT trims with a FlexFuel V-6 (unless that's an Anniversary Edition Badge or such).

http://www.autodeadline.com/detail?source=...80&mime=JPG

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

If this isn't THE best example of why a FWD Impala is just... not right, I don't know what is. GM has to be embarrassed by this. How is this car even remotely collectible? Who will care about it in 20 or 30 years? NOBODY.

Powers That Be at GM... look at this car with a straight face and say this is not a letdown. I dare you.

If this isn't THE best example of why a FWD Impala is just... not right, I don't know what is. GM has to be embarrassed by this. How is this car even remotely collectible? Who will care about it in 20 or 30 years? NOBODY.

Powers That Be at GM... look at this car with a straight face and say this is not a letdown. I dare you.

Agreed.

This thing is an absolute joke.

Case in Point that Bean Counters and Scroogie Middlemen still exist and decide in Lutz era.

A W-body with OHV V-6 and 4-speed automatic transmission. What an oxymoron for a vehicle that is 50 years old. If they would have resurrected the last RWD Impala even without any changes just to make this commemerative edition it would have still ended up as a collectible even now.

OB gets it.... :yes:

Ohhh....I'd be willing to bet some will find it highly collectible, given its drivetrain and connection via the Impala name.

*shrugs*

But, that certainly is not me.

And, someone at GM/Ch#$r%*et must think it is worthwhile and not an embarrassment...........

right?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Action speaks louder than words" ... Black Crowes ... 'Hard To Handle'

What a joke. :nono:

Ohhh....I'd be willing to bet some will find it highly collectible, given its drivetrain and connection via the Impala name.

There probably is some insane nutjob who would, but his garage space could already be taken up by a Front-Wheel Drive Grand Prix with a detuned 5.3.

Edited by Captainbooyah

But what is going to make this edition any different? I mean, it has different wheels. A spoiler. That it?

For your viewing pleasure.

50thgv8.jpg

50th1vk9.jpg

50th3uw8.jpg

Two tone leather seating.

50th4jp6.jpg

18" wheels

50th5hg8.jpg

Based on the Impala LT, the anniversary model bundles FE3 sport suspension, four-wheel ABS, 18-inch tires and alloy wheels, rear spoiler, two-tone leather seats, ebony carpet and floor mats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and anniversary badging. Two exterior colors, black granite metallic and red jewel tintcoat, are available.

The standard engine is a 211-horsepower 3.5-liter V6.

Through all its various permutations since 1958, Impala has been a consistent best-seller for the brand. Through November, Impala sales are up more than 11 percent from 2006.

While I am a fan of rear wheel drive big sedans, my opinion means $h! to GM. To General Motors, its right if it sells. Apparently, this car is selling. I see them everywhere, in every trim level, and if PCS is correct (Diety help us!), then they got it right to the market. That's what they're in business for.

So, should GM offer two same-sized Chevrolets - the "Impala" in V6/FWD <W-body> format, and the "Caprice" in V8/RWD <Zeta> format???

What will be interesting to see is if the Malibu sales will steal away from the Impala at some point, negating the need for a FWD "Impala" and opening up the gates for a RWD "Impala/Caprice" to come aboard?

For your viewing pleasure.

50thgv8.jpg

50th1vk9.jpg

50th3uw8.jpg

Two tone leather seating.

50th4jp6.jpg

18" wheels

50th5hg8.jpg

Based on the Impala LT, the anniversary model bundles FE3 sport suspension, four-wheel ABS, 18-inch tires and alloy wheels, rear spoiler, two-tone leather seats, ebony carpet and floor mats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and anniversary badging. Two exterior colors, black granite metallic and red jewel tintcoat, are available.

The standard engine is a 211-horsepower 3.5-liter V6.

Through all its various permutations since 1958, Impala has been a consistent best-seller for the brand. Through November, Impala sales are up more than 11 percent from 2006.

Thank you.

Albeit looks more upscale, it's pathetic. Seriously? As others have said, forgettable.

I know it's little, but I still can't get over, we have a full-size car here, very popular, that still doesn't offer auto-climate control... when a car made by the same manufacturer, which is cheaper and smaller, has offered it in the past and present generations.

How is this car even remotely collectible? Who will care about it in 20 or 30 years? NOBODY.

Three most popular cars out of our 45-car inventory

-Charger

-Impala

-Magnum

GM did something right. Regardless of the FWDOMGness, its a good, solid car. People sometimes forget that higher-priced rear-wheel drive performance cars are out of the reach of many consumers and the Impala represents incredible value for the money.

Three most popular cars out of our 45-car inventory

-Charger

*raises eyebrow*

Any inferno red Chargers with the DARK grey lower interior door panels, preferrably with the 3.5 V6, by chance?

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Hood slidin' like Bo Duke"...Dierks Bently...'What Was I Thinking?'

I wonder why GM even bothered? Even as basic as this "special" edition is, I'm sure it took more $$$$ to develop than they will ever get back out of it.

While I see many signs GM really is changing, it's very discouraging to see the same old GM shine through on something like this "special" edition. :(:thumbsdown:

Sales are UP UP UP UP UP , so will GM kill it? You're Kidding right? Remember GM is a business! :smilewide:

Chevy has a car that'll challenge the Camry and Accord for sales leadership, and it isn't the Impala.

The 50th Anniversary Impala should have been an SS. If not the SS, then at least the E85-capable 3900. Using the weakest engine for a special edition of a car with a nameplate possessing such a fantastic heritage is just a joke. If that doesn't say that the end is near, I don't know what does.

as much as i hate FWD and hate the W Body more, i have to say the Impala sells decently for a platform thats paid itself off years ago....

just wondering

is the impala going to go fleet only for a while before the w body is put to rest? chevrolet "classic" for this model?

Edited by SuperSport623

Guest YellowJacket894
Sales are UP UP UP UP UP , so will GM kill it? You're Kidding right? Remember GM is a business! :smilewide:

Business or not, I know the W-Body represents an era of GM I know the both of us hate and that I wish to see pass very soon. It's getting to the point where the lesser parts of my enthusiast being just don't care what the W is replaced with, just as long as that specific GM platform has a horrible, sudden death. Unfortunately, the W-Failure is just like every horror movie monster or killer ever created: it doesn't how many times you shoot it or what you shoot it with or where you shoot it, or how many times you back over it with a Chevy flatbed truck, it just refuses to die.

Makes me wonder why you drive the GX/P, Custom. It's roots are with the man the both of us just loathes.

Edited by YellowJacket894

as much as i hate FWD and hate the W Body more, i have to say the Impala sells decently for a platform thats paid itself off years ago....

just wondering

is the impala going to go fleet only for a while before the w body is put to rest? chevrolet "classic" for this model?

I'm sure it will end up that way - a significant number already go to fleets. And the Malibu will push it that way even more.

I'm sure it will end up that way - a significant number already go to fleets. And the Malibu will push it that way even more.

Maybe it will go the way of the Crown Vic.... the 2015 Impala will be much the same as the 2005 was, but with a different grille and steering wheel cover..

Business or not, I know the W-Body represents an era of GM I know the both of us hate and that I wish to see pass very soon. Unfortunately, the W-Failure is just like every horror movie monster or killer ever created: it doesn't how many times you shoot it or what you shoot it with or where you shoot it, or how many times you back over it with a Chevy flatbed truck, it just refuses to die.

Makes me wonder why you drive the GX/P, Custom. It's roots are with the man the both of us just loathes.

The W was not a failure, it kept GM alive and well for 20 years. Without the W, there would be no GM today, or at least not the GM you recognize. My GXP and the Bonneville GXP were one of the cars Lutz 1st changed, put the V8 in it, or did you forget that?

Yeah I didn't like Roger Smith, trust me that's no secret, but please don't include me in your irrational hate of a man, you didn't know or even work under, or for that matter weren't even born yet at that time. :AH-HA_wink:

The W was not a failure, it kept GM alive and well for 20 years. Without the W, there would be no GM today, or at least not the GM you recognize. My GXP and the Bonneville GXP were one of the cars Lutz 1st changed, put the V8 in it, or did you forget that?

I think it wounded GM every year of its existence. It is a symbol of a GM that lost its way.

I think it wounded GM every year of its existence. It is a symbol of a GM that lost its way.

There was no other platform at that time to take up the cause of midsize cars within GM, as much as you don't like it, it did serve GM well, sales today of the Chevy Impala prove that, up 11% over this time last year. :P

And smallchevy, you right about a live ass being better than a dead lion, especially if that lion is rolling a ball. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Though I've long bashed GM-10/W- bodies, they are certainly better than the smaller FWD GMs that came from the '80s..the A- bodies, J-bodies, N- bodies in particular...some were even pretty cool--I still like the looks of the Cutlass convertible, early Regal coupes, and the '97-03 Grand Prix..

My opinion in general, historically, with both FWD and RWD models, GM has always done midsize and larger models better than compact or subcompact models, at least in NA.

Edited by moltar

Though I've long bashed GM-10/W- bodies, they are certainly better than the smaller FWD GMs that came from the '80s..the A- bodies, J-bodies, N- bodies in particular...some were even pretty cool--I still like the looks of the Cutlass convertible, early Regal coupes, and the '97-03 Grand Prix..

My opinion in general, historically, with both FWD and RWD models, GM has always done midsize and larger models better than compact or subcompact models, at least in NA.

You really can't argue with that logic... Which platform is currently selling near 400K Units/Annually?

Without the W, there would be no GM today, or at least not the GM you recognize.

While true that the W kept GM in business ... not sure it still is a GM some of us recognize....

I still can't believe the 50th anniversary edition isn't on an SS model...at LEAST.

*pauses*

Maybe this is just an early "April fool" ... and the 50th anniversary edition WILL be on an SS model????

CDshowcase/WRMN1410.com/SATURDAY.january19/2p-5p.8p-11p.CENTRAL

"It's such a cold blow from out of the dark" ... Brooks and Dunn ... 'That Ain't No Way To Go'