Well another Pontiac in the family... And its PURPLE!

Back in 2004 when I first set eyes on the Chevrolet Equinox I loved it. I knew that it would prolly end up being my next car (which the Bonneville SLE was) or the following one. Then I found out the Aztek was leaving the Pontiac stable opening up a spot for an SUV, and then saw the Torrent and liked the gussied up Pontiac version even more. By the time 2006 rolled around my son was hoping we would take the bait and get one. Well by the time mid-06 came around he stop asking and let it go. I certainly thought that was odd, well he had found out about MCE with the upgraded dash, new steering wheel and roof mounted (Euro-style attena), the 2.48:1 axle ratio for fuel econ, and 4 wheel disc brakes with abs. So he waited till late summer 2007 to start up again on the car kick. I almost bought an Aurora, but knew it was too much for such an old car. I almost bought a red 2007 Torrent but before I got to it she was sold. Then after my son getting internet price quotes in the new year, and watching a few more FWD '07 models sell he told me about the final one in are area that would have the correct features and MSRP price. It was this one. The next day I called down (Wed) got and asked for a quote, Pam (sales-lady) called me that evening with the quote... Then haggled her on trade she could only gurantee me 100 bucks for my GP... I said talk to your used car guy and tell him the situation and say I was hoping for at least double what you just offered. The next day she called me back (nervous that the new 16.3K Torrent would sell) and offered me 250 on Thurs. Then I said great I'll get everything in order here and make the 180 mile trek to Ottawa, IL Friday after work. I did indeed and left town with my son in the old GP and she made the trip just fine, got down there a 7pm test drove the Torrent and was out of there by 8:15 and headed home. That was easy. Today I just put a coat of wax on her, cleaned her up good (she was driven Sat. night so the family could ride in her and got dirty), my son fully detailed her, he also cleaned the carpet and put down L-cheapo carpet savers (floormats) until I get my factory production replacements in from the dealer (I have yet to order). I decided I am not going to tint the windows any darker, and just going to add Pontiac countered splash guards, chrome exhuast tip, and factory floor mats. We haven't decided if were going to have it undercoated yet. That is the story and I am loving it... Now for the $250 in extras... They get you coming or going I tell you... :P

Edited by gm4life

Good luck on the Torrent. I know my wife and I both like our 2005 Nox AWD, however I will tell you those Bridgestone tires suck a$$. We had to replace two of them within the first 3 months. The other two started acting up so I made an executive decision and replaced all four tires with Hankook tires which is what Saturn used/uses on the Vue. Haven't had a problem since.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

The next day she called me back (nervous that the new 16.3K Torrent would sell) and offered me 250 on Thurs. Then I said great I'll get everything in order here and make the 180 mile trek to Ottawa, IL Friday after work.

Hmmm...are you in IL ... or a neighboring state?

Definitely a cool story ... and sweet pics to go along with the story ;). CONGRATS on the new Pontiac, gm4life!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

Good luck on the Torrent. I know my wife and I both like our 2005 Nox AWD, however I will tell you those Bridgestone tires suck a$$. We had to replace two of them within the first 3 months. The other two started acting up so I made an executive decision and replaced all four tires with Hankook tires which is what Saturn used/uses on the Vue. Haven't had a problem since.

I've got Hankook tires on the '07 AURA and they SUCK big time. I get horrible wet weather traction (rain or snow, it doesn't matter), and won't let the wife drive the AURA whenever rain/snow is predicted or if it is actually raining or snowing. If the car wasn't leased, I would have gotten rid of those crappy tires shortly after delivery.

If you like them, good for you. But I think GM is using cheap tires nowadays - our leased '03 Buick Rendezvous FWD CX needed new tires at the 24 month mark. I held out to 28 months, but they were definitely shot at that point. They were Bridgestone tires and even though the lease was ending soon, I knew I had to replace them regardless. I was always happy with Goodyears, and my neighbor has been happy with Michelins (on his Fords). GM needs to look at this closely, because a poor/cheap performing tire from the factory will not make the customer a "completely satisfied" one. :angry:

My Uniroyals on my Impala held up well, but I think it was dumb luck. They were very $h!ty cheap tires. The Bridgetsones on my Impala currently and the ones that were on my GP held up well too. I like the Goodyear RSA's on my SLE the best they have been excellent tires.

Edited by gm4life

I've got Hankook tires on the '07 AURA and they SUCK big time. I get horrible wet weather traction (rain or snow, it doesn't matter), and won't let the wife drive the AURA whenever rain/snow is predicted or if it is actually raining or snowing. If the car wasn't leased, I would have gotten rid of those crappy tires shortly after delivery.

If you like them, good for you. But I think GM is using cheap tires nowadays - our leased '03 Buick Rendezvous FWD CX needed new tires at the 24 month mark. I held out to 28 months, but they were definitely shot at that point. They were Bridgestone tires and even though the lease was ending soon, I knew I had to replace them regardless. I was always happy with Goodyears, and my neighbor has been happy with Michelins (on his Fords). GM needs to look at this closely, because a poor/cheap performing tire from the factory will not make the customer a "completely satisfied" one. :angry:

I really like mine on the Nox, it handles better and feels very secure in wet conditions. Don't get me wrong I prefer GoodYear, but GoodYear didn't offer a tire in my size in Delaware last August, in fact the the only tire maker that did was Bridgestone, and to me Bridgestone is just another word for Firestone, and I remember the Ford Exploder all to well a few years back rolling over and or flipping.

So I found a dealer that handled Hankook truck tires in Kennett Square, PA, I have been very pleased with my purchase, ever since.

I live in Dubuque, IA where IL and WI and Iowa meet.

AH, yes ... I know that area well. I've been to Dubuque a few times in the last few years. Gorgeous scenery out that way, especially, too, in Galena IL.... You aren't that far from where I am.

CDshowcase/WRMN1410.com/SATURDAY.january19/2p-5p.8p-11p.CENTRAL

"It's hard to slow this swinger down" ... Eric Heatherly ... 'Flowers On The Wall'

Good luck with the Torrent. I have had pretty good luck with the Equinox. Mine had a few steering part issues but remember this is a first year vehicle. I know they fixed that by 2006. I get about 17 mpg in normal driving. I think the new ones are better. I love the room and driving parts. If I had a complaint about the tires its that they could grip better in snow.

Cool!

I love finding those leftover-leftover's that sell for great bargains, and yours is certainly a fun color and looks GREAT with the chrome wheels. The lack of rear tinted glass makes it really look "base" to me, but if you don't mind it, no biggie :AH-HA_wink:

I have been to Elgin, IL a few times as well nice area tho as well.

It is, for the most part, a nice area ... but, I much prefer the country-like areas and the scenery out west.

If you are ever back to Elgin, let me know ... it'd be cool to meet up with you.

CDshowcase=www.WRMN1410.com*SATURDAY.january19*2p-5p.and.8p-11p.CENTRAL

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy" ... Eagles ... 'Take It Easy'

Hey I live in Iowa I know country lol.

LOL!

Yeah, I know ya do! As boring as some say Iowa is to drive through, I thought it was kinda cool ... seeing nothing instead of tons of buildings everywhere ;).

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Sometimes it feels like its all moving way too fast" ... Pat Benatar ... 'Shadows Of The Night'