Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So I want to buy a Jaguar

Flybrian

A 1997 X300 (XJ6). Two owner, 135,XXXmi, 4.0 litre slant six. These late night photos don't do it justice; its an exceptional car and I can buy it for ~$4000. The second owner (a bishop at a local church who has bought a few cars from us) had some work done to it and its in great running condition. Original, blemish-free paint, great interior, and so on.

dsc02457ok5.jpg

dsc02459wq8.jpg

dsc02463qx0.jpg

dsc02460fo5.jpg

dsc02462nt0.jpg

Just a thought.... :scratchchin:

First, for 4 grand, I would probably buy it. However, you do need to know that Jags, even those of the late Ford era, are still prone to lots of problems, especially electrical. If ANYTHING breaks (and given the cars age and mileage, something will break sooner rather than later), it will be extremely expensive to fix. I am not just talking the occasional $500-1000 service; I am talking about repair work that could cost you more than what you paid for the car.

Fly... Now you have me looking into Jaguars again.. I hate you. :P

Despite having 180k and having a horrible interior treatment, this one is really nice. For $3k, I could make it work. It's a quite thorough description, with lots of pictures, too. It seems to be in stellar running condition. Clicky

Sure is a nice Jag, Fly....

So, you going to buy it ... or just still thinking about it?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Windows open on the rest of the world" ... Suzy Bogguss ... 'Drive South'

So like, does anybody around here take an interest in GOOD cars anymore or what? Between $h! like this and everybody crapping their pants every time some FWD 80's piece of $h! with T-Type badges glued onto it pops up on eBay Motors I wonder where everybody's good taste went. Does anybody have any neat old cars or trucks they have an interest in? Is there a '68 Buick or '55 Oldsmobile on somebody's front lawn you drive by every day on the way to work that grows on you a little bit more every time you glance at it? A 1980's Caprice or GMC truck, even? Anybody?

Fly, if you buy this thing, then good luck. The repair bills will soon eclipse the purchase price of the vehicle and you'll wonder why you didn't get something that was a lot more fun, a lot more interesting, and made a lot more sense. Did this car have its cylinder head redone at 120,000 miles as recommended? If not, then watch out because it's a ticking time bomb. Check the acidity of the coolant, or better yet just flush it and refill it right away as the Jaguar I6's are incredibly prone to head gasket failure. Some of their water pumps are also prone to impeller failure resulting in over heating which also leads to head gasket failure and head warpage. Timing chain tensioners are another thing that love to go in these cars, they have oil pressure issues when cornering, and the list goes on. But, if you really can't live without a burl wood shifter knob and rock hard uncomfortable leather seats that European car manufacturers are famous for then this tarted up English Ford with a cat on the hood is right up your alley, I guess.

First, for 4 grand, I would probably buy it. However, you do need to know that Jags, even those of the late Ford era, are still prone to lots of problems, especially electrical. If ANYTHING breaks (and given the cars age and mileage, something will break sooner rather than later), it will be extremely expensive to fix. I am not just talking the occasional $500-1000 service; I am talking about repair work that could cost you more than what you paid for the car.

Yes..that's the big problem with buying high mileage luxury cars..sure, the entry price may be low, but the repair costs over time will be double, triple, etc the purchase price...that's what my sister found out with her old Benzes...expect to spend $2-5k annually to keep it running..

Edited by moltar

XP715 pretty much says what I'm thinking. You'd have to pay me to own a Jaguar, just because of those repair bills.

A buddy in high-school had an XJ6 that he picked up for a song. He loved to brag about his plush, British car. However, it was always fun to point out what DIDN'T work, like the rear windows, and locks, and all the creaks, and strange noises.

That Jag is gone, and now he drives another XJ6, which is already beginning to mess up. :rolleyes:

He always ridicules me for driving 'Domestic' but at least my 18 year old truck's power windows, and locks still work just fine.

Edited by Captainbooyah

So like, does anybody around here take an interest in GOOD cars anymore or what? Snip...

God you whine a lot. Just because not everybody has the same views on cars that you have doesn't mean you need to start a f@#king diatribe in every thread where someone says they like a car.

God you whine a lot. Just because not everybody has the same views on cars that you have doesn't mean you need to start a f@#king diatribe in every thread where someone says they like a car.

Not even close to what I'm doing, just stating the obvious. Don't get your panties all in a bunch just yet. I just find it really funny how many of the people here see some neat old car (or new car, for that matter) that is TOTALLY worth their time and effort and will bring them countless hours of enjoyment (and have a real value should they ever choose or need to get rid of it) and they rant and rave about how great it would be to own themselves, but always pussy out and end the story with "..... but I could never drive something like that," and dismiss it for some lame reason like it burns too much gas or something. But then a car that will have a #1 restored condition value of $3000 after $11,000 worth of work comes up or a perpetual money pit like this Jaguar comes up and everybody's high-fiving the poor bastard that's seriously (like, crunching the numbers and calling their insurance company seriously) considering it and telling him how awesome would be when in reality nothing could be further from the truth.

I guess in a way I consider a good chunk of you guys friends to some extent, and I don't like seeing friends using poor judgement and getting burned on something down the road. And there's hardly a faster and easier way of getting burned that I can think of than buying a high-mileage English luxury car.

Fly, steer clear of this thing. Invest your money in that cool old LeSabre or nitpick at your Aurora until it's perfect. The price of admission for the Jag may seem like a good deal, but looks can be deceiving. Stick with something that will make you happy in the long run and also won't put a major dent in your wallet.

Edited by XP715

LOL. I processed a Jaguar at work recently.

http://stcloudmotors.com/RouteDealer.cfm?s...ue_id=500408287

Notice the open window? Dude had to drive it all the way from the auto auction 70 miles away with that open because it wouldn't go back up. The security system was giving me grief, plus the automatic door locks were malfunctioning and not letting me out the drivers door. Just the electrical problems would be enough to scare me away from ever buying a Jaguar. It's your money so do what you want, but if it were me, I'd pass. If you want an English money pit, at least get a Land Rover. They have just as many problems, but at least you can take them off road.

Yes..they are definitely money pits..I wouldn't buy one, but I certainly wouldn't stop someone else from pissing away their money.

Personally, I try and avoid anything that's not new or nearly new (my Jeep is 7 years old, but I bought it new, my Mustang is 21 years old and was a money pit for a while, but I bought it new)...high mileage used cars are too much of a headache, IMHO.

So like, does anybody around here take an interest in GOOD cars anymore or what? Between $h! like this and everybody crapping their pants every time some FWD 80's piece of $h! with T-Type badges glued onto it pops up on eBay Motors I wonder where everybody's good taste went. Does anybody have any neat old cars or trucks they have an interest in? Is there a '68 Buick or '55 Oldsmobile on somebody's front lawn you drive by every day on the way to work that grows on you a little bit more every time you glance at it? A 1980's Caprice or GMC truck, even? Anybody?

Fly, if you buy this thing, then good luck. The repair bills will soon eclipse the purchase price of the vehicle and you'll wonder why you didn't get something that was a lot more fun, a lot more interesting, and made a lot more sense. Did this car have its cylinder head redone at 120,000 miles as recommended? If not, then watch out because it's a ticking time bomb. Check the acidity of the coolant, or better yet just flush it and refill it right away as the Jaguar I6's are incredibly prone to head gasket failure. Some of their water pumps are also prone to impeller failure resulting in over heating which also leads to head gasket failure and head warpage. Timing chain tensioners are another thing that love to go in these cars, they have oil pressure issues when cornering, and the list goes on. But, if you really can't live without a burl wood shifter knob and rock hard uncomfortable leather seats that European car manufacturers are famous for then this tarted up English Ford with a cat on the hood is right up your alley, I guess.

Not to be rude, but for someone who drives just about one of the worst malaise era Cadillac’s ever made, you are someone to talk. I mean could you have chosen a tackier, more abysmal example of everything that was wrong with General Motors and Cadillac than a 77 Coupe Deville?! It’s a good thing you have that stunning 67 or I would start making jokes about you being a pimp.

Edited by makfu

Not to be rude, but for someone who drives just about one of the worst malaise era Cadillac’s ever made, you are someone to talk. I mean could you have chosen a tackier, more abysmal example of everything that was wrong with General Motors and Cadillac than a 77 Coupe Deville?! It’s a good thing you have that stunning 67 or I would start making jokes about you being a pimp.

Tacky?! Absolutely! Huggy Bear is definitely jealous of some of the cars I've owned; I know this. I'm sure if you ever saw me get out of the thing you'd wonder where my white belt and white shoes and captain's hat were. Maybe it was from riding around in my mother's triple Colonial Yellow 1985 Eldorado as a child that did it to me, but there's just something about an ice cream-colored Cadillac with a fruity interior that makes me smile. I like and have owned many other things, but Cadillac has always been my knee-jerk reaction when I needed or wanted a cheap car in a hurry. If you read what I have said, not once did I ever suggest that my taste (which goes far beyond vehicles that could be found on the set of Superfly) is the only acceptable taste when choosing an automobile because it's not.

Anything by Cadillac from the 1980's would be far worse than a '77 DeVille could ever dream of being; I think you need to do a bit more homework. Lethargic as it may be, the 425 is still a smooth-running torque monster in the vein of what a true Cadillac should be. It's not one of the finicky (and, let's face it, frightening) fuel-injected models of the same engine family, it's not an oil-starved by design Olds 307, it's not an Olds 350 diesel, it's not an 8-6-4, and it's not an HT4100 whose dissimilar metals cause the head bolts to pull themselves out with age, just to name a few. I was also fortunate enough to happen upon a rock solid example from Oklahoma with 88,000 easy miles on the clock for $700. Since then she's given me 7,000 miles of faithful service with nothing but oil changes. And, god forbid if something happens, anything short of the block splitting will cost me a fraction of what anything beyond a simple tune-up on a car like this Jaguar will cost.

As stated before, I just find it funny that as of late, how eager some people here are to throw money at something completely illogical (like a high-mileage English luxury vehicle or a $500 front wheel drive Buick from the 80's with even higher mileage as a few of many examples) after being overly cautious to the point of turning down far more car for far less money in terms of both initial cost and overall investment for some asinine reason like fuel consumption or size.

LOL, from a gel-tab Olds-STS to a Ford Kittycat. :P

Tacky?! Absolutely! Huggy Bear is definitely jealous of some of the cars I've owned; I know this. I'm sure if you ever saw me get out of the thing you'd wonder where my white belt and white shoes and captain's hat were. Maybe it was from riding around in my mother's triple Colonial Yellow 1985 Eldorado as a child that did it to me, but there's just something about an ice cream-colored Cadillac with a fruity interior that makes me smile. I like and have owned many other things, but Cadillac has always been my knee-jerk reaction when I needed or wanted a cheap car in a hurry. If you read what I have said, not once did I ever suggest that my taste (which goes far beyond vehicles that could be found on the set of Superfly) is the only acceptable taste when choosing an automobile because it's not.

Anything by Cadillac from the 1980's would be far worse than a '77 DeVille could ever dream of being; I think you need to do a bit more homework. Lethargic as it may be, the 425 is still a smooth-running torque monster in the vein of what a true Cadillac should be. It's not one of the finicky (and, let's face it, frightening) fuel-injected models of the same engine family, it's not an oil-starved by design Olds 307, it's not an Olds 350 diesel, it's not an 8-6-4, and it's not an HT4100 whose dissimilar metals cause the head bolts to pull themselves out with age, just to name a few. I was also fortunate enough to happen upon a rock solid example from Oklahoma with 88,000 easy miles on the clock for $700. Since then she's given me 7,000 miles of faithful service with nothing but oil changes. And, god forbid if something happens, anything short of the block splitting will cost me a fraction of what anything beyond a simple tune-up on a car like this Jaguar will cost.

As stated before, I just find it funny that as of late, how eager some people here are to throw money at something completely illogical (like a high-mileage English luxury vehicle or a $500 front wheel drive Buick from the 80's with even higher mileage as a few of many examples) after being overly cautious to the point of turning down far more car for far less money in terms of both initial cost and overall investment for some asinine reason like fuel consumption or size.

Well, I certainly won't disagree with you on GM 80's crap, but GM didn't produce anything I would buy after 73 (new or otherwise) until the 92 Seville, which admittedly was riddled with problems - but is STILL a great looking piece of design work and actually had a decent ride/handling setup for a big front-driver.

As for the 77, my problem is the acres of really nasty plastic wood, lousy fit'n finish and just generally silly late 70's design. I mean, look at your 67, which is simply beautiful and then look at the 77 and ask yourself how Cadillac could have fallen so fast. The 67 actually looks MORE modern and contemporary today than the 77. As for the 425, I am sure that even all detuned and choked with smog equipment, it was still a good torquey motor (and I am sure the THM400 still shifts nicely). That doesn't change the fact that your 77 is a rolling cliché of really bad taste and substandard quality.

I might add, that the Jag Fly wants to buy is a car I have driven, and it is a lovely car. Great English style (e.g. butter smooth) ride quality, luscious sounding and powerful 6 and a gorgeous interior that is everything your 77 isn’t, ergo tasteful and beautifully finished with acres of REAL hand-polished burled walnut and really beautiful leather. So, if he wants to sink the money into the car, as long as he knows what he is getting into, I wouldn’t go calling it a piece of $h!. It might not offer Lexus like reliability, but it is far less a piece of $h! than your 77 Eldo.

What's up with all the hate on the 1970's boats? My Dad had five 1970's Impalas, four that all made it past the 300,000 mile mark (All with original engines!) while the only reason the other one didn't was because it got T-boned by a semi. Sure, there may not have been been the acres of leather and wood, but he never noticed because he was too busy driving it, not waiting on the side of the road for the tow truck to show up for the umpteenth time because the engine overheated or the electrical system started PMSing.

Mid 90's and later Jag's were reasonably reliable, far more so than the vast majority of the crap GM flushed on the market during mid 70's and 80's. That they were more problematic than other 90's luxomobiles doesn't mean they were in a state of constant failure.

Does anybody have any neat old cars or trucks they have an interest in?

Uh, yes.

Is there a '68 Buick or '55 Oldsmobile on somebody's front lawn you drive by every day on the way to work that grows on you a little bit more every time you glance at it?

Sadly, no. And, with it being winter, none of those good old cars are out these days ... except, perhaps, my '87 MC LS....

A 1980's Caprice or GMC truck, even? Anybody?

I'm looking for a 1977-1979 Caprice Classic ... or an 1989-1990 Caprice.....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

CDshowcase/WRMN1410.com/SATURDAY.january19/2p-5p.8p-11p.CENTRAL

"Ever wonder if it's all for you?" ... Red Hot Chili Peppers ... 'Can't Stop'

What's up with all the hate on the 1970's boats? My Dad had five 1970's Impalas, four that all made it past the 300,000 mile mark (All with original engines!) while the only reason the other one didn't was because it got T-boned by a semi. Sure, there may not have been been the acres of leather and wood, but he never noticed because he was too busy driving it, not waiting on the side of the road for the tow truck to show up for the umpteenth time because the engine overheated or the electrical system started PMSing.

Yeah! I love the 70s boats!

My uncle had a 76 Impy....it drove great, and rust sent it to the junkyard-the engine was creeping towward 350k........

If I could afford one, I would have a boat..... :yes:

besides, nothing is more fun than taking TWO parking spaces at a busy place... :lol:

I would have to agree with everyone else. If you want something that will more than likely give you more trouble than its worth, then the Jag will be for you. I wouldn't drive one simply because of the electrical issues that are well known with all Jags. Kinda like a lot of Caddys from the 90s, I wouldn't own one simply because of the electrical gremlins. I'd take a '60s-80s full-size GM all day long, without a single complaint, and in fact the only reason I haven't is because I haven't found one in the price range I'm looking for and the shape I'm looking for. 90% of the ones around here that I'd be even remotely interested in buying have already been dicked up from one end to the other and I wouldn't have the time to put into it to make it up to my qualifications.

I'm all about older cars, especially when I see them, kinda like the 64-ish Pontiac Grand Prix that's down the street from my parents, only reason I haven't put my hard earned money down on it is simply because no one lives on the property, and I wouldn't feel 100% right about coming in there in the middle of the night and hauling it off (besides, if it were my luck.....I'd get caught).

I'm 101% with XP715 here... & I'll knife fight anyone who insults the Banana Boat,

of all the dozens of cars I've sold over the years that's the one I regret the most!

This Jaguar is the poster child of expensive repairs and buyers remorse!

I guess if you've got $4000 to burn on a factory-issued lemon...

Hey, don't you still owe ME something? :wink:

I think you guys all know I have a huge soft spot for 70s rwd stuff. :AH-HA_wink:

But I do understand Fly's infatuation with this Jag. I spent a considerable amount of time being responsible for the up keep of a '99 Vanden Plas (LWB XJ8). It was really a nice car to drive and had a breed of class untouched by any other luxury make. It did have its gremlins ( a frozen battery for example), but over the 4 years or so that I was responsible for its upkeep, there was almost nothing in the way of electrical issues. There were some problems, but none to the point of emulating earlier Jags.

I think you guys all know I have a huge soft spot for 70s rwd stuff. :AH-HA_wink:

But I do understand Fly's infatuation with this Jag. I spent a considerable amount of time being responsible for the up keep of a '99 Vanden Plas (LWB XJ8). It was really a nice car to drive and had a breed of class untouched by any other luxury make. It did have its gremlins ( a frozen battery for example), but over the 4 years or so that I was responsible for its upkeep, there was almost nothing in the way of electrical issues. There were some problems, but none to the point of emulating earlier Jags.

I still bet one would be more reliable than the Cutlass. Or my Grand Am... Or the Sunfire... Or the Blazer... :P