Change of plans for Dodge Demon

PurdueGuy

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/13/wrong-w...chery-platform/

The Dodge Demon has been hinted and anti-hinted for production, and it seems that the sports car will indeed make it into showrooms. Unfortunately, according to AutoWeek, the Demon will wind up on a front wheel drive chassis from Chery. The 1993 Mercury Capri Demon's switch to FF has been partially driven by emissions regulations, says Chrysler's Tom LaSorda, but we think it's more likely due to build cost. There is a direct-injection engine in development, which should also help the Demon meet upcoming emissions standards while offering strong performance. The Chery platform will doubtlessly be re-jiggered for the Demon, but we predict that the MX-5 is in no danger of losing its primacy in the segment. Perhaps in acknowledgment of dynamic shortcomings, one of the major selling factors for the Demon will be a price lower than the Mazda or GM's Solstice/Sky twins, the car's main competitors. Here's hoping that no matter what's underneath the Demon, it still looks as hot as the concept when it hits stores.

Summary: Demon will be built... on Chery FWD platform. :rolleyes:

Here is what AutoWeek had to say about it.

Julian Rendell

AutoWeek

January 13, 2008 - 12:20 pm ET

The production version of the Dodge Demon sports car concept will be built on a Chinese-made front-wheel drive platform, AutoWeek has learned.

Chrysler will engineer the design on a Chery Automobile platform as part of a wider cooperation between the companies to create small hatchbacks and sedans for the Chrysler and Dodge brands to sell in Europe and North America.

"A small sports car is still on our wish list and in the product plan," Chrysler's Tom LaSorda said today at the Detroit auto show. "The Demon is a B-segment size car and it would be on the new B-segment platform from China."

One of the reasons the rear-drive Demon concept would switch to a front-drive platform was emissions regulations, said LaSorda. He said that a direct-injection gasoline engine was in development for the car.

With an eye on future European C02 targets of 130 grams per kilometer, the Demon would help cut the automaker's CO2 emissions and improve fuel economy.

What the Chinese production source means for the quality of the finished product is still a major unknown.

The few cars exported form China so far suffer from poor quality and engineering standards in comparison to their Western and Asian competition.

However, price will be a selling factor, suggesting that the Demon would undercut its main competition, the Mazda MX-5 Miata and Pontiac Solstice/Opel Speedster.

Another unknown is when the small Dodge sports car will go into production. Chrysler is talking 2009 for its Chinese-built hatchback, but still negotiating the details of the contract with Chery.

Quizzed about the apparent slow speed at which the negotiations are progressing, LaSorda joked: "I don't know if you've ever negotiated in China, but if you know a way of speeding things up, I'd like to talk to you."

It doesn't say the Demon will necessarily be built in China, only that the platform will be a B segment platform designed by Chery. I'm not aware that Chrysler right now has the capability world-wide to engineer a B segment platform, so going to an outside company for the engineering is not outrageous.

But building it in China for the U.S. market would be. No way I'd consider one if it isn't built in N.A. We need to stand up for the middle class in this country and resist the importation of automobiles built by workers making a buck an hour. China lets its currency float against the dollar so it will always retain that unconscionable advantage in labor costs. Once we get used as consumers to cheap Chinese automobiles, it'll be just as it was with cheap Chinese shoes - they'll be everywhere and the jobs will be gone.

As for FWD, that's not necessarily a problem with a little roadster. I love my Focus ZX3, it's the best handling car I've ever driven. RWD is for off-the-line power and torque; it feels great in my 300C. But for that fun-to-drive factor, the Focus proves it can indeed be engineered into a little FWD-er. I'd buy another one in a hot minute. The Mini is another example of a good-handling FWD car.

As for FWD, that's not necessarily a problem with a little roadster. I love my Focus ZX3, it's the best handling car I've ever driven. RWD is for off-the-line power and torque; it feels great in my 300C. But for that fun-to-drive factor, the Focus proves it can indeed be engineered into a little FWD-er. I'd buy another one in a hot minute. The Mini is another example of a good-handling FWD car.

True, those are good handling, FWD cars from quality manufacturers..but they aren't Chery platforms...Chery so far has shown the world it is garbage..

Edited by moltar

I wouldn't really rule it out completely simply because it's a Chery platform, but my hopes are low.

One less competition for the Solstice. :D

Yes... FWD and 'sports car roadster' just aren't compatible, IMHO..

There has yet to be a FWD sports roadster to capture the hearts of drivers.

THe Mercury Capri fail, Honda failed with the Del Sol and even Lotus failed with the new Elan.

The mini is not a true sport car roadster so it gets a pass. The plain fact is this car will fail in the market as it is not what people want. If Honda and Lotus failed how can we expect Chrysler and Chery to make it work.

Chrysler needs a Malibu like car to replace the failed Cloud sedans they just came out with. You have to pay the bills before you worry about sports cars.

It doesn't say the Demon will necessarily be built in China, only that the platform will be a B segment platform designed by Chery.

because letting the chinese design it is a good idea too?

yup, chrysler is a whore now. full on, unashamed. this is the beginning. next, rebadging tatas or something.

You can definitely tell that the Cerberus-owned Chrysler is allowing quality and consumer demand to drive their resurging product portfolio!

How many customers wrote in on the Demon concept and said "It's perfect! but..." and caused Chrysler to come to this conclusion for the Demon???

Yes, I read the article and acknowledge the emissions issue. Chrysler should have developed a separate concept/production car for the B-segment instead of bastardizing the original concept of the Demon with a production car that doesn't come close to meeting the target market's expectations. They could have done both, or left the Demon DOA. They've reduced a concept Demon to a production Pixie...

Heh ... saw this a couple days ago.

Reaction is still the same. Kinda neat car, but FWD?

Though, it would be ironic if the sales of this car skyrocketed past the Saturn SKY/Pontiac Solstice _because_ it is FWD. Course, then, GM might start considering drivetrain changes for its sportsters..........

*shudders*

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

CDshowcase/WRMN1410.com/SATURDAY.january19/2p-5p.8p-11p.CENTRAL

"Look what you've done" ... Restless Heart ... 'Fast Movin' Train'