Designer Dogs

K.C.

Anyone here heard of those designer dogs? You know, where they take a full blooded standard poodle and mix it with a lab or a golden retriever, or take a pug and mix it with a poodle. Did you also know they charge in upwards of $1000 for one of these dogs? That is crazy! They are mutts. While mutts are great dogs and I love them all, breeding dogs is not about money, it is about improving the breeds and freeing the breed from diseases such as canine hip displasia and eye diseases. These designer dog breeders are ripping people off by providing low quality dogs. These are not quality dogs from a health standpoint, and while they will be great dogs during their younger years, when they get older they will inherit the problems of BOTH breeds, and with retrievers and poodles, and there are many.

Anyone here heard of those designer dogs? You know, where they take a full blooded standard poodle and mix it with a lab or a golden retriever, or take a pug and mix it with a poodle. Did you also know they charge in upwards of $1000 for one of these dogs? That is crazy! They are mutts. While mutts are great dogs and I love them all, breeding dogs is not about money, it is about improving the breeds and freeing the breed from diseases such as canine hip displasia and eye diseases. These designer dog breeders are ripping people off by providing low quality dogs. These are not quality dogs from a health standpoint, and while they will be great dogs during their younger years, when they get older they will inherit the problems of BOTH breeds, and with retrievers and poodles, and there are many.

Sounds like people who buy Toyotas.

Funny you should say that, because I almost compared designer dog breeders and owners to Toyota.

By the way folks, I have 3 dogs that I sire out to potential female dogs, if they pass muster being show quality and meet every detail of the breed standards, so I do know a bit about the market, and I gotta say never ever buy a dog from a pet store or a pet mill. Those people should be sent straight to hell.

Funny you should say that, because I almost compared designer dog breeders and owners to Toyota.

By the way folks, I have 3 dogs that I sire out to potential female dogs, if they pass muster being show quality and meet every detail of the breed standards, so I do know a bit about the market, and I gotta say never ever buy a dog from a pet store or a pet mill. Those people should be sent straight to hell.

Pet stores whore their animals out. Unless they are local mom and pop owned ones whom I know, I will not buy any pets from a chain store.

Do you know anybody who breeds mastiffs? I am planning to gey one.

I would rather rescue a dog from a pound or, if looking for a specific breed, look for a rescue fund. There are plenty of dogs out there that need homes, and getting one from one of these outlets usually ends up saving a dog somewhere from being gassed. Breeders are all about the $$$$ and don't care about the dogs at all.

I would rather rescue a dog from a pound or, if looking for a specific breed, look for a rescue fund. There are plenty of dogs out there that need homes, and getting one from one of these outlets usually ends up saving a dog somewhere from being gassed. Breeders are all about the $$ and don't care about the dogs at all.

That is definitely a food of thought. I would love to save a dor from being euthanized.

That is definitely a food of thought. I would love to save a dog from being euthanized.

My sister did that..she aquired a 6 yr old Australian Silky Terrier from a rescue mission in Missouri (flew from AZ to St. Louis to pick her up). 3 years later, other than a bad habit of pooing (tiny dog, tiny poos) and peeing in the house, she's a sweet little well-adjusted dog, gets along great with her other dogs.

My Australian Terrier is a retired champion show dog, got her from a breeder in Phoenix.

I would rather rescue a dog from a pound or, if looking for a specific breed, look for a rescue fund. There are plenty of dogs out there that need homes, and getting one from one of these outlets usually ends up saving a dog somewhere from being gassed. Breeders are all about the $$$$ and don't care about the dogs at all.

Agreed. Both of my cats have come from a shelter and I wouldn't have it any other way. The way I see it is that an animal at a breeder or pet store has a guaranteed spot in somebody's home because if I don't buy it then the ten other people in line behind me will. The animals at a shelter, however, have a limited window in which they can be adopted before they get euthanized and tossed in the oven. THAT is an awful, awful waste.

Pet stores whore their animals out. Unless they are local mom and pop owned ones whom I know, I will not buy any pets from a chain store.

Do you know anybody who breeds mastiffs? I am planning to gey one.

I will look into that for you. I sire Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, and Bernese Mountain Dogs. Two friends have Mastiffs and they are awesome dogs. Great with kids! One thing you can do is google the Mastiff Society of America and find a breeder from there. It's always best to get in touch with these people so they can tell you all about the breed so you know that the breed is right for you.

If you need anything else, PM me.

Completely agree about the rescue organizations and the pound. Some Humans societies are no kill so be sure to offer them some financial support or drop a bag of food by then.

I take offense to breeders being all about money. I am not about money, and the breeders who I work with are not abuot money. The true breeders trying to benefit the breed are those who show the dogs, and they consistently LOSE money when they breed their dogs. So only irresponsible breeders are about the money, and the puppy mills, etc are also just about the money. I am not about the money. I am out there to improve the breed with dogs that are certified not to have CHD and eye problems.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm a Spitz man, myself.

I'm thinking of adopting a Korea Jindo (part of the Spitz family) from my local shelter. He's a really smart dog and I can tell, even though he's already two years old, he'll be very loyal as well (from what I understand, the Jindo is an extremely loyal breed of dog, and that's a quality I like in a pet).

Wish I could think of a name for him, though ...

Edited by YellowJacket894

I will look into that for you. I sire Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, and Bernese Mountain Dogs. Two friends have Mastiffs and they are awesome dogs. Great with kids! One thing you can do is google the Mastiff Society of America and find a breeder from there. It's always best to get in touch with these people so they can tell you all about the breed so you know that the breed is right for you.

If you need anything else, PM me.

I love St. Bernards too. But I don't know if they can handle the warm weather of FL. I had a mastiff while growing up. They are really gentle giants with high tolerance for kids. I am fairly knowledgeable about the breed, but would love to know more about them.

I will definitely PM you when I am ready to get one.

I take offense to breeders being all about money. I am not about money, and the breeders who I work with are not abuot money. The true breeders trying to benefit the breed are those who show the dogs, and they consistently LOSE money when they breed their dogs. So only irresponsible breeders are about the money, and the puppy mills, etc are also just about the money. I am not about the money. I am out there to improve the breed with dogs that are certified not to have CHD and eye problems.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, and I give you credit for trying to undo what centuries of inbreeding has done. Having had two German Shepherds with hip displaysia, I'd love to get one from my mom someday that won't have to be put down because of that condition. My comments were based on the fact that nearly every breeder I've ever encountered, either directly or indirectly, has viewed their dogs more as merely cash cows. Here's a real test for a breeder - How would they feel about their stud if he ran away, ended up in a shelter, and got neutered as per shelter policy? Would they pick him up and take him home, or leave him there?

Not sure about te going to hell part, but I would agree with you in the most part.

Both my mom and my aunt raise and show dogs..and been doing it for years......

I would never buy from a store.Ever.

How about a Rottwieler/German Shepherd/Doberman mix? Adopted from a shelter, my sister and her ex-boyfriend raised Rufus from a puppy...growing up around tiny dogs, he thought he was a tiny dog..even after he grew to 85lbs...here a pic of him a while back on the sofa w/ my sister's two West Highland White Terriers, her Australian Silky Terrier, and my Australian Terrier (far right).

critters-vi.jpg

Edited by moltar

Completely agree about the rescue organizations and the pound. Some Humans societies are no kill so be sure to offer them some financial support or drop a bag of food by then.

So very true. Makes my mom (and me) and little sad when the puppies go to their new homes....

They are fun to play with (and watch grow), and people who do it for the enjoyment don't worry about money-heck-if it pays for the shots and some food. sweet!

Going to dog shows can be pretty cool.. :thumbsup:

Is this post referring to your mother-in-law, Custom? :smilewide:

Watch it she owns more GM stock than Lutz, you want your Camaro or not? :P I've seen her work her magic at GM Stock Holders meetings, trust me you don't want to piss her off. She could gut you, fillet you, and hang your sorry a$$ out to dry, before you ever knew you were even cut. Plus she's a gun toten woman. :AH-HA_wink:

How about a Rottwieler/German Shepherd/Doberman mix? Adopted from a shelter, my sister and her ex-boyfriend raised Rufus from a puppy...growing up around tiny dogs, he thought he was a tiny dog..even after he grew to 85lbs...here a pic of him a while back on the sofa w/ my sister's two West Highland White Terriers, her Australian Silky Terrier, and my Australian Terrier (far right).

critters-vi.jpg

Awwwww. He looks so cute sleeping there!

Funny you should mention this...

My GF and I just adopted a designer dog. We got him from an animal rescue here in Charlotte (All of my dogs are rescues; will never buy a pure bred)

His name is Maximus Hernandez and he is a "Mexican Hotdog' (Half Chihuahua, half Dachshund)

I'm a big fan of Dachshunds, have owned them for most of my life. But the one my parents currently own had the common back problems and is now partially paralyzed as a result. Given that we have lots of steps in our APT, we didn't want to risk harming a perfectly good Dachshund (Steps are one of the leading causes of their back problems) so we looked for a mix and found this.

I'm thinking of getting a Lab, or maybe a Retriever once we get our remodel in order and get a place on the land set up for a dog (22.5 acres of mostly woods and no real fence lines are not dog-friendly), and I have no intention of going to a pet store for one. The pound is bound to have one for me, or the local rescue shelters...I just don't agree with pet stores selling dogs....too much can happen behind the scenes with them. Now if I get something like a goldfish, then I'll probably hit the local pet store, but they are a completely diffrent story.