Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Toyota @ NAIAS '08 Venza Crossover

The front instantly reminded me of the Ford Edge.

If it weren't for the painfully ugly headlights and grille, I kind of like it. It's like a Toyota Forester. Seems like a better option than an SUV, and I'm glad people are giving Wagons some more attention, regardless of make.

Anyone think this will be marketed as the Camry-Venza like the Solara was? It would allow Toyota to continue combining sales under the Camry name.

I bet they will..since it's like a tall wagon version of the Camry.

to bad they don't want to use GM's truck 4cyl. 2.7 or a 2.9.... hm. you know, trade for the matrix clone deal. lol

it looks to much like the camry to be called something else. but just a little time i looked at it. eh. kinda curious how it'll sell well, since ...all toyota customers that want utility will just buy a rav-4 or highlander or 4-runner... since T can't do wrong, excpet overlap and build hideous vehicles. hahaha

they market it like an Edge or Murano competitor, but its much more wagony and longer (look at the rear overhang).

thing is, it will sell, its got a "T" on the grille, and its base engine is a 4, which will give this typically undersized frame chassis good mpg, and allow low prices for cheap dumping leases.

this will probably steal more 'family' sales than the edge or the murano. it allows the highlander to continue to be the dud it is, also.

it looks to much like the camry to be called something else. but just a little time i looked at it. eh. kinda curious how it'll sell well, since ...all toyota customers that want utility will just buy a rav-4 or highlander or 4-runner... since T can't do wrong, excpet overlap and build hideous vehicles. hahaha

I really see this stealing sales from the Camry sedan itself, or possibly Prius if there's a hybrid version (for those who need more room.)

Normally I don't like Toyota styling or design, but I actually don't mind this Venza. It's more stylish than the vanilla Toyotas we typically get in the US, and some of the details are quite clever.

A large-displacement four-cylinder has potential in the future, a great idea especially in these types of crossover vehicles, provided NVH can be kept down. A small turbocharged four-cylinder (aka Ecoboost) has a similar use, but it'll likely cost more.

After looking at it more I don't like it at all. The greenhouse and side glass look good and have potential but the rest is ruined by Toyota's need to design blobs. Everything looks bulbous and the thing looks like it's about to burst at the seams...like it just ate a Corolla.

It's the lovechild of a Camry and a Ford Edge... with a the town whore ES350 being whored on the side. And surprising, it doesn't look that bad, save for the front. From the A-pillar back its decent. I dislike the interior though. Whoever came up with that center stack idea has no idea how to design an interior outside of 90's high-school study hall doodlings.

Aw haaaiilll nah... what is wrong with me... I actually like this new Camry Matrix.:huh:

A Donnie Iris song applies here.....

"Give him shock treatment, give him one more treatment"

i think the design would come off better had they not resorted to the nasty fender flares on the side. the greenhouse itself is not atrocious. the flanks are flabby.

Edited by regfootball

Just a somewhat random comment: It seems crossovers are starting to look more like station wagons now. Perhaps this is to improve MPG, I'm not sure. Regardless, I think it would be smarter for manufacturers to make crossovers look like SUVs. I think the sales charts tell the story, as it seems the more SUV-like the looks, the better the vehicle sells. This is basically a tall wagon instead of a short SUV.

I'm not a fan of the grille but, overall, the styling is nice and upscale, not boring and somewhat stylish. I really like the rear. The interior looks nice but the center console is a bit weird...takes some getting used to, I guess.

It's the lovechild of a Camry and a Ford Edge... with a the town whore ES350 being whored on the side. And surprising, it doesn't look that bad, save for the front. From the A-pillar back its decent. I dislike the interior though. Whoever came up with that center stack idea has no idea how to design an interior outside of 90's high-school study hall doodlings.

Funny you mention high school doodlings...last time I went back to Ohio to visit my mom, I found a stash of my 'future car' sketches from 20+ years ago that I did in jr. high and high school...my future cars then all kind of looked like GM dustbuster minivans or Priuses (I really was into drawing monospaces). I guess I was inspired by the Chevy concept car at Epcot Center I saw in '82.

As stated in the other thread for this vehicle... this Lexus RX wreaks of GM of yore. Offers nothing new and is a quick answer to a product question no one asked.

What? First, it's a Toyota Venza. Second, both mid-level (this vehicle) and luxury (Lexus RX) crossovers are products many customers have asked for and have received. The RX is the best selling vehicle in the Lexus lineup. Third, I don't think many cars offer anything new nowadays.

The only Edge similarity I see is the rear window. Otherwise, the Venza looks sportier and more luxurious, IMO.